MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-5 with adapters replacing ESX-8MD?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-5 with adapters replacing ESX-8MD?
after_us
Hi,

I do have an ESX-8MD for using DIN SYNC with Roland's 303 and 606 which is working great.

1) Did I understand it correctly that I can achieve the same result with my ES-5 using ALM Busy Circuits ‘Din-Sync Adaptor Cable’? That would be even better, saving me 10HP.

2) Given the same is possible for MIDI with a Minijack to MIDI cable, would I loose anything with an ES 5 combined with adapters in favour of the bigger ESX-8MD?

3) Is there a way sending DIN Start Stop and Clock signals straight out of Max MSP instead of using the Silent Way vst~?

Thank you!
DJMaytag
I was inquiring about a similar idea recently, but I don't currently own an 8MD, but do have an ES-5 & 2x ESX-8GT's. I can add one more expander, and I'm leaning toward getting another ESX-8GT for 32 gate/trig/clock outs and 16 CV outs.

The ALM adapter thing will work, but it's a pricey way to go about it if you're talking about the Eurorack module (bi-directional DIN to 1/8" adaption). Just get a DJ-1200 cable if you want to use the ES-5/ESX-8GT outputs. You'll need to use two outputs for DIN SYNC though.

I'm currently using 3x DJ-1000 adapter cables (1/8" mono to MIDI) and probably will add 3 more for 6 sample accurate MIDI outs (1 for MIDI drum machine sync). The 8MD lets you use 44.1khz projects reliably, and provides MIDI phantom power.
os
1) Yes, for DINsync.

2) For MIDI the 8MD is more reliable, in that it works with all MIDI gear. There are some that won't accept MIDI from ES-5+cable, especially at 44.1kHz.

3) For MIDI? I'm not aware of one.
after_us
os wrote:

2) For MIDI the 8MD is more reliable, in that it works with all MIDI gear. There are some that won't accept MIDI from ES-5+cable, especially at 44.1kHz.

Ok, but 48 kHz is always working fine?

os wrote:

3) For MIDI? I'm not aware of one.

No, for DIN SYNC. Should be possible or?

DJMaytag wrote:

The ALM adapter thing will work, but it's a pricey way to go about it if you're talking about the Eurorack module (bi-directional DIN to 1/8" adaption). Just get a DJ-1200 cable if you want to use the ES-5/ESX-8GT outputs. You'll need to use two outputs for DIN SYNC though.

I meant the ALM Adapter cable which is not so expensive. DJ-1200 is sold out according to the expert sleepers website.

DJMaytag wrote:

The 8MD lets you use 44.1khz projects reliably, and provides MIDI phantom power.

Ok, will think about it, but I am primarily using CV/Gate, DIN Sync and OSC and got mostly rid of MIDI in the studio.

Out of curiosity: Is it possible transmitting MIDI Sysex via the 8MD?
os
Quote:
Ok, but 48 kHz is always working fine?

Almost always.

Quote:
No, for DIN SYNC. Should be possible or?

Then yes, it's trivial.

Quote:
Is it possible transmitting MIDI Sysex via the 8MD?

Yes.
after_us
thanks, will try things with the adapter cables and see how it works, keeping the 8MD for now as a backup.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1