MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Grandmother sequence out to Mother 32
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Moog Grandmother sequence out to Mother 32
moosey2juicy
This is may be a stupid question, but I'm still pretty new so I thought I would go ahead and ask.

I have a semi-self generating patch on my Mother 32, but the sequence can only be 32 notes.

If I store a 256 note sequence on my Grandmother, can I send that out to the Mother 32 and have it use the Grandmother's sequence instead of the one on the Mother 32?

I thought I could use the MIDI out, but I seem to be missing something.

Once again, I apologize if this is a stupid question. I feel like I haven't even learned enough to ask it correctly.
Rex Coil 7
moosey2juicy wrote:
This is may be a stupid question, but I'm still pretty new so I thought I would go ahead and ask.

I have a semi-self generating patch on my Mother 32, but the sequence can only be 32 notes.

If I store a 256 note sequence on my Grandmother, can I send that out to the Mother 32 and have it use the Grandmother's sequence instead of the one on the Mother 32?

I thought I could use the MIDI out, but I seem to be missing something.

Once again, I apologize if this is a stupid question. I feel like I haven't even learned enough to ask it correctly.
NEVER be afraid to ask a "stupid question". Asking questions is the only way you'll ever learn. Every single member here was a new user at one time or another. We all know what it feels like to not know what to do. Aside from a very few shitheads within the membership, you will discover that the absolute majority of the membership will be more than willing to help you, without talking down to you or humiliating you.

nodnod

Movin' on here ....

If the Grand MaMa's sequencer sends notes out of it's MIDI Out, then you can use what is called a "MIDI-to-CV Converter". The current favorite among the tribes is called the "CV.OCD"

LINK = https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/

You plug the G-Ma's MIDI Output into the CV.OCD's MIDI Input. Then you plug the CV.OCD's "1v/oct" output into the "1v/Oct" input of the M32. You will also need to plug the "GATE Output" of the CV.OCD into the "GATE Input" of the M32.

All done. thumbs up

Or, you may just plug the G-Ma's MIDI Output into the M32's MIDI Input. That should work as well. You must be certain that both synths are on the same MIDI channel or it won't work. And be sure to not fall into the same trap that many new users do ... Outputs are not connected to Outputs, and Inputs are not connected to Inputs. Outputs are connected to Inputs. so the G-Ma's MIDI Output must connect to the M32's MIDI Input. And don't forget about putting them both on the same MIDI channel.

That is ... of course ... as long as the G-Ma sends sequencer notes out of the MIDI Output.

Full disclosure, I've never even been in the same building as the Moog M32. My wife owned a G-Ma when they were first released, but she wasn't very happy with it so we sold it for $25.00 less than we bought it for on eBay. I think of the $25.00 loss and "instrument rental fee".

And lastly .... Welcome Home, Member *moosey2juicy.

Most folks call me "Rex" (among a few other things that are not suited for Family Hour). lol lol

(please feel free to send me a private message if you ever have questions or need any help ... I'll be happy to lend a hand ... If I don't know the answer I'll sure as hell try to find it for you)

cool
Gaetan
I don't have a Grandmother but the manual says that it contains both Gate and CV (KB) out for both keyboard and sequencer at the same time : https://back.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2018-08/Grandmother_Man ual.pdf (p.39). Just connect these to Gate IN and VCO 1V/o of the M32 and you should be ready to go.
moosey2juicy
Thanks everyone!

I will try this out when I get home from work tonight.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1