MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pitch follower for foley recordings
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Pitch follower for foley recordings
SuspiciousMind
I am wondering if there is any pitch follower module for external audio recordings, more specifically for foley recordings. I am also wondering if this is viable as foley recordings may not consist of a fundamental frequency and/or harmonics. For instance, a recording of rain would have multiple short-sweeping frequencies at the same time which means I need more than one CV outs if I am taking it right. Another scenario would be recordings of mechanical tools, say a drill, which would have a wide band of frequencies moving, something that my oscillator can't really track, or, it can but only for one frequency.
Dave Peck
A pitch detector / follower can only work if the signal has a pitch to begin with (a periodic waveform exhibiting a recurring 'pitched' behavior, as opposed to a much more complex / random signal with no discernible fundamental frequency or harmonic).

Rain is not multiple short sweeping frequencies, it is just a complex waveform with no discernible periodic pattern in the waveform and thus no fundamental and no harmonics occurring at regular mathematical ratios of a fundamental.

As the waveform becomes more complex and less periodic/pitched, the detector becomes less able to detect a periodic waveform with a fundamental or strong harmonic (since they don't exist in the signal) and either 'warbles' randomly or stops working.

So I am not sure what you are attempting to accomplish - for signals that just are not 'pitched' tones to begin with, like rain, what result are you hoping to get from a pitch detector/follower? What kind of signal are you trying to create and what do you want to do with it? There may be another way to do it.
SuspiciousMind
Dave Peck wrote:
A pitch detector / follower can only work if the signal has a pitch to begin with (a periodic waveform exhibiting a recurring 'pitched' behavior, as opposed to a much more complex / random signal with no discernible fundamental frequency or harmonic).

Rain is not multiple short sweeping frequencies, it is just a complex waveform with no discernible periodic pattern in the waveform and thus no fundamental and no harmonics occurring at regular mathematical ratios of a fundamental.

As the waveform becomes more complex and less periodic/pitched, the detector becomes less able to detect a periodic waveform with a fundamental or strong harmonic (since they don't exist in the signal) and either 'warbles' randomly or stops working.

So I am not sure what you are attempting to accomplish - for signals that just are not 'pitched' tones to begin with, like rain, what result are you hoping to get from a pitch detector/follower? What kind of signal are you trying to create and what do you want to do with it? There may be another way to do it.

Many thanks for the clarifications!

I was just wondering if I could somehow synthesize the foleys by using envelope and pitch followers. I do not really want to replicate them. Just to maintain their envelope & pitch characteristics, but alternate the overall sounding (I guess timbre is the right word for that) with my oscs and effects.
Dave Peck
There are ways to use an analog modular synth to synthesize various complex natural aperiodic sounds, or generate sounds that somehow share some characteristics of those, but pitch followers applied to foley recordings would not accomplish this. You might look into some articles, videos, or threads here on MW on 'synthesizing natural sounds' or similar topics for some info. I realize you're not just trying to replicate the same sound (you could just use the recording if that's what you wanted) but knowing how to make the sound using analog synthesis can be a starting point for NEW sounds by then CHANGING that sound in interesting ways.
ersatzplanet
you can always use a Granular module like the Nebulae. It can do pitch shifting and time shifting independent of each other. The envelope tracking would have to be done with another module though. Also it won't derive signals to run other modules with, it will only work within itself.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1