MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

4MS DLD 'DJ style transitions' patch examples.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author 4MS DLD 'DJ style transitions' patch examples.
brandonlogic
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Silentnotes wrote:

That seems odd. How can the timing be tight if you are not hitting Hold on the beat?

Because the delay time is synced and the delay is constantly looping in sync. Hitting the hold button offbeat does neither affect the delay time nor does it shift the recorded loop out of phase. Hold only prevents the delay from recording new material into it's buffer and from erasing the recording that was present in the buffer at the moment you hit hold.

Exactly applause
Silentnotes
brandonlogic wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Silentnotes wrote:

That seems odd. How can the timing be tight if you are not hitting Hold on the beat?

Because the delay time is synced and the delay is constantly looping in sync. Hitting the hold button offbeat does neither affect the delay time nor does it shift the recorded loop out of phase. Hold only prevents the delay from recording new material into it's buffer and from erasing the recording that was present in the buffer at the moment you hit hold.

Exactly applause

Oh ok, I get it. Thanks guys. What is Quantized Hold good for then? I cant think of any other case..
Rupert the not so great
Thanks for the info guys! Im gonna try it all out tonight. I'll try clocking the DLD with a 4/4 trigger from the BSP. Not sure why I never thought of that.. Hopefully it works.

As far as clocking goes.. do I need to clock only the 'PING' or do I need to clock 'loop A' and 'loop B' as well?

seriously, i just don't get it
R.U.Nuts
Silentnotes wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Silentnotes wrote:

Exactly applause

Oh ok, I get it. Thanks guys. What is Quantized Hold good for then? I cant think of any other case..

Three use cases I can think of:

1.: If you want to replace only a section of a loop with a new recording. For example, you recorded a 16 step loop and want to replace the last four steps of that loop with something else.
2.: If you have feedback turned up higher in order to record an overdub. For example you have a loop recorded and hold enabled. now you turn up the feedback so once you disengage hold, a second recording is dubbed over the old one. In this case it's important to keep hold disengaged for exactly the lenght of the loop because if hold is disengaged for shorter you obviously won't record an overdub over the entire lenght of the loop. On the other hand if you disengage hold for longer than one roundtrip of the loop, you'll add a third overdub as soon as the loop has finished it's cycle.
3. If you want to record a loop wich is shorter or longer than the sequence you're recording. For example you have a 16 step sequence running and you have set the DLD's delay time to three steps to record an exact slice of three steps from that sequence.
R.U.Nuts
Rupert the not so great wrote:

As far as clocking goes.. do I need to clock only the 'PING' or do I need to clock 'loop A' and 'loop B' as well?

Loop A and B are clock outputs not inputs hihi They spit out a gate that syncs to the delay time of the corresponding channel. Don't wanna sound rude but have you read the manual?
sillyquestions?
Not rude at all. I appreciate the reply. I've read it three times now in two days. Getting there a little but i've learned more asking on here. Some people connect with a manual, I don't.

In saying that, it's definetly one of the better ones ive read. IMO.
Rupert the not so great
wooops! I never signed my bro out on that one ^ that's me btw applause Guinness ftw!
hawkfuzz
sillyquestions? wrote:
Not rude at all. I appreciate the reply. I've read it three times now in two days. Getting there a little but i've learned more asking on here. Some people connect with a manual, I don't.

In saying that, it's definetly one of the better ones ive read. IMO.

Reading the manual doesn’t really help in most cases. You are supposed to play with the functions as you read them. It’s not instant but it’s how you end up understanding what your module can and cannot do and maximize your system.
Mashmore
Thanks for the info guys! Im gonna try it all out tonight. I'll try clocking the DLD with a 4/4 trigger from the BSP. Not sure why I never thought of that.. Hopefully it works.

Clocking the ping input clocks a and b. The time knobs and switches do the rest.
brandonlogic
As a seasoned DLD user, I honestly never even tried this specific use of the DLD before I made the video for this thread. I am pleselty surprised by the results. It really is a perfect module for this application IMO. I am going to incorporate this into my next solo live performace. Perfect transitional tool. So much more interesting than just a hard cut pattern change. If you have headphones you could even cue up the next pattern and make all kinds of changes to a patch before and preview it in the headphones before making the transition. Such a useful live performace tool.

DLD is seriously once of my favorite euro modules.
Essential euro module for any system IMo. If I could only have one delay module in my rack, it would be this one.
Rupert the not so great
From what I seen with brandonlogic's video it's exactly what I bought the module for. Im looking forward to trying all this out tomorrow. Im now thinking the 4MS PEG could be a great addition also... but thats me just catching the bug right?... meh

Thanks for all the inputs people. It's much appreciated. Rockin' Banana!
brandonlogic
From what I seen with brandonlogic's video it's exactly what I bought the module for. Im looking forward to trying all this out tomorrow. Im now thinking the 4MS PEG could be a great addition also... but thats me just catching the bug right?... meh

Thanks for all the inputs people. It's much appreciated. Rockin' Banana!

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
sharkminusbear
Great tips! I hadn't thought about using it to loop and crossfade like this and it really does work well. It's also fun to mess with the windowing of the loop while holding the button and then switch back to the dry signal.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2