MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I want to do modular videos, need tips (software, approach)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I want to do modular videos, need tips (software, approach)
MvK
Hi!

as there is a serious lack of modular videos in the net I thought I make some more ! :-)

Well, my plan is to document some techniques that I find useful for myself and in the process make it visible for interested people. I'd like to start simple. Video plus subtitles and an occasional switch to a reaktor ensemble that I made to show spectrum and waveform.

technical questions:
- Is there a windows software to do basic cuts on top of a timeline that is syncronized to the audio recording? Easy, free or low cost.
- I'd also need some kind of screengrabber for reaktor. Maybe said software can do also that? would be nice to record 2 videos (reaktor and cam) in sync with the audio and have it in a multichannel timeline of sorts.
- right now I can only get audio into reaktor. Are there any expert sleeper interfaces that I can use to get DC INTO the PC. I know there is a lot of stuff to get dc OUT of the pc but expert sleepers offerings confuse me. :-)

As you can see I've got no idea about videosoftware, so any insights would be nice. Something easy for I don't need fancy transitions or effects, just basic cuts if only to cut out the bad stuff :-)

- Camera: Are there any low cost options? I can borrow good cams from friends, but to catch the right moment its better to have one all the time. But I'd rather buy more modules that a pricy cam.
- Lighting: Also low cost tips here, or just as bright as possible?

Other questions:
- I guess its good to focus on the core element, so preparation of the patch and narration should be done. Any strategies for that? I think I have to find my own way but any tips would be great.
- length: Does it matter?

other problems or pitfalls I should be aware of?

thx in advance
Eric the Red
Hey there! Check out Camtasia ( https://www.techsmith.com/video-editor.html )

It’s a simple, low cost video editor -it has some really basic effects and is easy to use.

It also does screen recording for computers.
sduck
Serious lack? Take a look at this thread, watch everything, and get back to us - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212515

I don't have any recent experience with windows softs for video so can't really help in that regard.
motorhead412
Length should be 10 min. because some of us have short attention spans
Rex Coil 7
Tou Yube has an editor available to every member. I think it's under something like "utilities" or the like in your Tou Yube account. I used it only one or two times in an old YT account I had going on several years ago. It allowed you to place captions, edit/make cuts ... and if I recall it even had the ability to sync audio to video.

So if you're just going to make simple videos you don't need to spend any money on software or hot rod graphics cards.

The old editor within YT used to be a lot better, but when Google took over YT the old editor was taken out of member's accounts, and was eventually replaced with this new simpler/less capable editor.

There are some other free video editors out there, this web page goes over a few of them ....

LINK = https://www.techradar.com/best/the-best-free-alternative-to-youtube-vi deo-editor

motorhead412 wrote:
Length should be 10 min. because some of us have short attention spans
It's called "Twitteritus" - the inability to produce cogent thoughts any longer than 140 characters long ... it's an incurable personality disorder listed as one of the Cluster B disorders in the most recent version of the DSM ... "DSM-5" (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders ... version 5 which was published in 2013).

hihi

lol lol lol lol lol
MvK
thanks a lot for the tips.

Are there any webcams of good enough quality? would be nice to just stream the video into the pc and record it on HD in realtime.

sduck wrote:
Serious lack? Take a look at this thread, watch everything, and get back to us - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212515

No I won't watch everything, as I would most certainly be dead after that. I've gone through the excellent thread you linked some time ago and learned a lot about modular and modular vids. :-) And that serious lack was a joke. I'm not doing this because I think the world needs it. There are many excellent videos out there and I've watched some of them.

Thanks again.
Franktree
Not sure what your cell phone situation is, but many have pretty decent cameras. If you can get a stand or some way to keep it stationary, I would think that would do the trick.

If you have access to a Mac, iMovie is free. It sucks and is very difficult to use, but it would get the job done.
BenA718
DaVinci Resolve is a great free video editor. Also, I think you can make screen recordings using QuickTime.
Rex Coil 7
Franktree wrote:
Not sure what your cell phone situation is, but many have pretty decent cameras. If you can get a stand or some way to keep it stationary, I would think that would do the trick.

If you have access to a Mac, iMovie is free. It sucks and is very difficult to use, but it would get the job done.

BenA718 wrote:
DaVinci Resolve is a great free video editor. Also, I think you can make screen recordings using QuickTime.
Do any of these suggestions provide adding a different audio track to the video (so the microphone of the camera doesn't have to be used and a better audio recording may be sync'd up to video)?

In my particular case, I'd need a program that is Windows compatible.

cool
kindredlost
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Do any of these suggestions provide adding a different audio track to the video?

iMotion does. I haven't used it in years. I use Final Cut Pro now. I record in Cubase and import the WAV files into Final Cut Pro. It is easy to line them up by hand if you plan for it. I normally watch the blinking lights. Mr. Green

If you don't use live microphones (for a clapper) you might have to use a spare LFO and EG to generate a series of pulses with a light that can be picked up on camera before the recording process starts. The phone cameras have a mic so a clapper would work but you will have to truncate the beginning of the finished file later.

To be honest I've never really had to depend on anything to line up the files. I've made over a hundred live videos of modular performances without a problem there.

I use my iPhone 7 camera but have other ones for simultaneous angles. The phone cameras are good enough to start with. Invest in a good tripod and phone clamp which has a camera thread mount. You can find many on Amazon or eBay etc..

I would consider a couple extra lights. I use simple flood style work lights from the hardware store. I angle them away toward a white surface like a wall for diffusion but there are better diffusion parasols and such which can be set up if needed. Keeping reflections off the panels and glare at a minimum is important. Unless you are in a warehouse you probably won't need high wattage bulbs. I'm in a small room and most bedroom production videos are as well. Even phone cameras have lighting settings on them now.

The best thing you can do is find a way to make your videos unique. Keep them consistent with an opening graphic so they can be found and identified at a glance. The wild west of YouTube and such is a real cacophony of imagery. It's hard to be seen without good and unique promotional imagery.

I'm with Rex Coil 7 on the content length. Make your own videos the way you want. Don't worry over the fact that most will click on and off quickly. If your content is good many will dig it and stick with you.
wsy
If you're reviewing a module or way of doing things, having an oscilloscope and
spectrum analyzer trace inset is REALLY NICE to understand what's happening.

I mean it. Ears listen to sound, but brain understands how it got that way.

Also, I agree on the ten minute rule. More than that is more than many folks want
to watch on a whim.

- Bill
Rex Coil 7
wsy wrote:

Yea ... but ... if someone is just starting out, that method adds a LOT of money to begin posting videos. While the inclusion of o-scope and freq analyzer are "nice", doesn't including those luxuries demand a graphics card in the computer, an o-scope, a freq analyzer, and a second camera (perhaps even a 3rd)? Yknow, a "measly thousand bucks"? When I begin posting vids, folks are just gonna have to suffer without all of that when viewing anything I put up!

lol lol

wsy wrote:
Also, I agree on the ten minute rule. More than that is more than many folks want to watch on a whim.

- Bill
Then you've (essentially) reduced your video content to "pop songs" that are fenced into the "3 minute length rule". If your video is worth a shit, a thirteen minute video will be viewed just fine. Especially since allowing it to come out to ~whatever~ length feels more honest and "organic" rather than something that was composed to conform to feeding the sheep. It really is ok to break conformity. Stairway to Heaven is eight minutes long and was never released as a "radio ready" edited single ... and yet it was one of the most popular songs in that era's program list.

Just edit out the "uhm" and "uh" utterances, dead air, non-relevant content and allow it to come out to whatever it comes out to. If the "ten minute rule" were conformed to, content creators such as "Molten Modular" ... "loopop" ... "Andertons Key and Tech" ... "Sweetwater Sound" ... "Sonic State" (Nick Batt) and many many others would not be viewed ... and yet, the "views" counter spins as quickly as the USA's federal deficit counter even though videos by those posters run well into the 15, 20, and even 30 minute mark.

Keep the energy and information level up and allow the video to be as long as it needs. Invest your personal time and energy into good lighting (which doesn't always mean spending a lot of money on lighting gear), image composition, camera angle, and good sound ... instead of spending personal time earning money to buy a bunch of gear to create visually "busy" videos. Lighting, image composition, camera angle, and good sound (y'know ... "workmanship") will get you a lot farther than multi-camera shots with lots of image-in-image production.

cookie?!?
Plugler
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Franktree wrote:

BenA718 wrote:

Do any of these suggestions provide adding a different audio track to the video (so the microphone of the camera doesn't have to be used and a better audio recording may be sync'd up to video)?

In my particular case, I'd need a program that is Windows compatible.

cool

Yes, DaVinci Resolve does provide adding multiple audio tracks to the video.

DaVinci Resolve is a very good software for this purposes. I use it under Windows 10. But it runs also under MacOS and Linux. I find it much better than other free video editors or as Adobe Premiere (Elements).

It is a professional tool, used by many professional studios. They give it for free with some limited functionality. But for our purpuses (edit/cut videos for own documentation and/or YouTube) it's the best and most intuitive to learn video software.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
JohnLRice
For Windows video editing take a look at Vegas Movie Studio:
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/product-co mparison/

Not free like DaVinci Resolve but the basic version is only $50 and I think the learning curve isn't as big? There is also a free trial you can download.
Plugler
JohnLRice wrote:
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/product-co mparison/

Not free like DaVinci Resolve but the basic version is only $50 and I think the learning curve isn't as big? There is also a free trial you can download.

Oh, the learning curve of DaVinci Resolve is very short.

The official beginners guide is only 15 minutes long, and that's much more knowledge the thread starter needs for his purposes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzSJ1SmcSmI

For Windows, just replace "Finder" with "Explorer". Mr. Green
JohnLRice
Plugler wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Oh, the learning curve of DaVinci Resolve is very short.
Well, didn't seem like it to me coming off of 10 years of using Vegas! hihi But both are free initially so the OP can try both and see which one makes more sense.
MvK
Thanks a lot for the great answers! Its very nice to have some pointers toward video editing software. I'll go through all of them.

I do the scope and spectrumanalyzer with reaktor and plan to insert that into the video, thats why I asked for the screengrabber function. That works great for audio. But I'd love to that with DC as well. All the DC-coupled Audio interfaces do have that function only on their outs not their ins. I Wanted to upgrade my interface either way.

Of course the Mordax would be the best, but I'd like to avoid that purchase. I'll have to go through all the expert sleepers stuff. Best would be a cv->adat interface.

Thanks again.
ayruos
If the camera is recording ambient audio and the Eurorack system + if you're mic'd up etc is recording to a Zoom or something, it's quite easy to sync audio and video these days. Premiere, FCPX all have auto sync features by waveform analysis, as does Resolve I believe (I've personally used the former two, not the latter) - and otherwise they're always PluralEyes for it.

Do keep in mind you're going to have a significant amount of frame drops when recording the screen using whichever software unless you have a really nice graphics card. Also keep in mind that screen grabbers are probably going to max out at a certain FPS and whether that is good enough resolution to capture frequency analysis. Granted, the final video is going to be 25-60fps too but even then, a dedicated scope can never be beat. Check out OBS too, in that regard.

Don't want to discourage you in any way, but proper video production needs a reasonable amount of investment, both in skills as well as financially for hardware or software. Or, needs friends who're happy to provide them!
hlprmnky
Another thing to keep in mind is that you can almost certainly get away with cutting to a scope screengrab that demonstrates the relevant idea without actually showing precisely what the voltage going into the audio interface is doing at that particular second. I'm thinking here of something like how Comparative Irrelevance combines "live" video of a patch and then diagrams with text, highlighted cables, etc. to explain "What's going on here?" in their excellent Three Module Challenge vids. This might be something you could do to get started, while waiting for your new DC-coupled interface to arrive from Amazon, say. grin
sduck
and whatever, don't get discouraged by the lofty equipment/softs and their respective prices that we sometimes use. You can MacGyver some pretty good results quite cheaply. My most popular video, with over 350K views, was made with incredibly cheap/free equipment, and free software. That was in 2009, and it looks like it, but it's still doing well!
wsy
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
wsy wrote:

Yea ... but ... if someone is just starting out, that method adds a LOT of money to begin posting videos. While the inclusion of o-scope and freq analyzer are "nice", doesn't including those luxuries demand a graphics card in the computer, an o-scope, a freq analyzer, and a second camera (perhaps even a 3rd)? Yknow, a "measly thousand bucks"? When I begin posting vids, folks are just gonna have to suffer without all of that when viewing anything I put up!

lol lol

Actually, it requires no additional equipment whatsoever. How about this;

1) YOU ALREADY HAVE A COMPUTER. How else are you making a YouTube video?

2) Record your primary video to video chan 1with your clean audio output on audio chan 1 and your voice mike on audio chan 2.

3) Use your DAW (free ones exist, I like RoseGarden) to produce oscilloscope view (vid chan 2)
and spectrum analyzer (vid chan 3).

4) Use your video edit tools to insert / overlay video chan 2 (scope) and video chan 3 (spectrum).

Look, ma; no extra cost!

- Bill
where it makes sense.
housepig
get a cheap tripod*. or if you have a mic stand, get an adapter for a camera to mount (super cheap ones are about $3, nicer ones with an adjustable ball joint can be had for $6-7). If you're using a cell phone to shoot, get an adapter to hold it onto your tripod (another $5 or so).

having a steady camera will do three things - it will make your video less painful to watch, keep your hands free for tweaking your modular, and will make your video files smaller (less movement = less data to encode).

(* once you know that you're going to keep doing this, get the nicest tripod that you can afford, but you don't need to go overboard to start - $20 should get you up and running for a while).
housepig
Also, the forums and guides at VideoHelp are a good starting place - I haven't been active over there for a while, but when I was it was full of helpful (and opinionated) users just like MW, devoted to all the minute details of video.

Check out the guides, lurk in the forums, there are numerous "what's the best way to get started doing X" threads with tons of info.
kibokowill
Check out Adobe Rush. Could not be more simple
hermbot
I use Reaper for both audio recording and video editing. For simple jobs it's very effective.

For anything related to on-screen video, OBS is a godsend. And it's free!

For a camera I use a Logitech C920. It's... fine. I should probably get a better one.

Proper lighting is probably the best thing you can do when making videos. Bright, natural light is best.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2