MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Envelope Generator CV over Log/exp ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Envelope Generator CV over Log/exp ?
Jaypee
I have 3 Functions and 1 Contour in my racks

They would be perfect if I could control the lin/exp curve.

So I'm looking for some options...with control over exp/lin and A and D.

These are the first modules on to my mind, if I'm correct:

-Rampage Befaco
-Mini Slew Steady State Fate

Anything else worth checking?

Cheers,

J.
The Junglechrist
You can actualy patch that control if you take the output of your Function / Contour to a VCA and back into its control input. If you go negative it will become exponential and positive will go log, so depending on what control signal you feed into it it can go from one to the other.
Jaypee
Oh! That IS GREAT! SlayerBadger!

Merci The Junglechrist!
Graham Hinton
The Junglechrist wrote:
You can actualy patch that control if you take the output of your Function / Contour to a VCA and back into its control input. If you go negative it will become exponential and positive will go log, so depending on what control signal you feed into it it can go from one to the other.

Calling log the opposite of exp is a mistake started by someone who doesn't understand maths. The opposite of exponential is inverse exponential. You can't make a logarithmic curve. Think about it, what is the log of 0?
Jaypee
Graham,

I read several posts on diff threads about lin/exp curves etc but I don't have the maths knowledge to understand.

I was hoping you came into this thread.

So let me, re-phrase my question: any way to go from a curve to another with a Function and couple of utilities (polarizer, vca etc) for example?

Many thanks for your posts,

J.
Graham Hinton
Jaypee wrote:
So let me, re-phrase my question: any way to go from a curve to another with a Function and couple of utilities (polarizer, vca etc) for example?

You can change the shape of any waveform that is based on charging a capacitor that has voltage control of the rate by feeding back its output to the control. Sometimes that is built in to the module. If the feedback is positive the slope will get steeper the higher the voltage, if the feedback is negative the slope will get less steep the higher the voltage. It's that simple. This applies to VCOs and LFOs as well as envelopes, but it will alter the frequency or time as well.

A VCA will give you control of shape as long as it is DC coupled, but it won't change between positive and negative without more adders and inverters. It is easier to use a "four quadrant multiplier" which is what most non-transformer ring modulators are. Put the signal to be fed back in one input and a bipolar DC control voltage in the other, then patch the output to the rate control.
The Junglechrist
Graham Hinton wrote:
The Junglechrist wrote:

Calling log the opposite of exp is a mistake started by someone who doesn't understand maths. The opposite of exponential is inverse exponential. You can't make a logarithmic curve. Think about it, what is the log of 0?

Yup sorry about that i'm indeed not good at math. That is what I had the feeling it was doing, in term of sounds as it compared to the result of the log setting on Maths (the module).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1