MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cables with Rean connection and nice thin flexible wire
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Cables with Rean connection and nice thin flexible wire
TemplarK
Anyone know of anyone who's making these? Pretty much these in Aleksei L-1 synth look perfect. I was going to make my own but am slightly put off by the comments surrounding making them costing just as much to and being a PITA. However, i've made a mistake of buying braided being a complete noob, even though i do love braided with some modules and now my modular is bigger just get in the way, mostly i cannot even touch my V8+ once patched (with the buttons being under the jacks like wtf is that about???). Any tips on what size 2pole wire i should be aiming for like shown in the video?

DSC
I made a bunch at one point, but now I just make them for myself. I know there is one other guy making them now, but I forgot his website. They are the best cable, in my opinion thumbs up

TemplarK
What guage wire are you using there? Wheres a good place to order wire from Mouser? or are there better places considering I'm UK based? around 12AWG 2 pole wire is this about right?

edit - I'm struggling to find the right wire i must admit, 2 pole must not be the correct terminology?
DSC
In order to get the most colors I just buy the four wire USB extension cables from ebay. Like these. I then use two wires for the tip and two wires for the sleeve. This gives you a back up in case one wire fails. I believe it is 23 gauge and it is stranded, of course.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-3M-Braided-Fabric-Micro-USB-Data-Sync-Cha rger-Cable-Cord-For-Mobile-Phones/351770406841?hash=item51e7266fb9:m:m maWMlTtqQP_074JLwCcEWg:rk:35:pf:0
DSC
Here is the link to the Rean plugs where I get them.

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/neutrik/nys226-11967836.html
TemplarK
Thanks man. I think I'll have to order them UK side the blacks ones are a little bit more, but, well if i'm making them i might as well make them the bollocks right! I found the wire 2 CORE not pole derp!!!

Ok I'm on a roll. Lets get some cables made to go into my V8+ so i can still bloody well use it!!!

edit - Unshielded is fine right?
DSC
Yes, unshielded is fine. Get the longest cables possible, best value.
Hovercraft
I've made some nice cables with Rean plugs and Mogami W2929 cable. The W2929 is nice and flexible--it has four conductors, but I also solder 2+2.
TemplarK
Hovercraft wrote:
I've made some nice cables with Rean plugs and Mogami W2929 cable. The W2929 is nice and flexible--it has four conductors, but I also solder 2+2.

Thanks. Man, my brain is literally fried trying to find a suitable cable spent the last hour trying to find some thats just 2 core (I realy don't want to be soldering 2 x 2 if possible), mogami do some shielded 2 core thats 2.3mm ultraflexible I would just leave the shield right? Or would i have to add it to one of the poles?) It only comes in black but at this point i'm just going to be fine with that lmao and keep an eye out for grey.

They should look cool though black with black and gold ends because why the fuck not? I think i'll try colour them with heat shrink to spruce them up.

Mogami 2974

Although finding a stockist in the uk might be a problem....
Hovercraft
I’ve also used Mogami W2799–it’s another mini cable, but it has a gray cover. It’s a stiffer cable stock, though. No need to connect the shields for patch cables. You also don’t need to use all four conductors, but soldering 2+2 gives a good backup if one conductor ever breaks from repeated flexing.
mmpingo
DSC wrote:

Are there shielded patch cables? eek!
TemplarK
mmpingo wrote:
DSC wrote:

Are there shielded patch cables? eek!

Well, no, the shielding isn't actually used I was just checking it didn't cause any issue to use a cable with a shielding layer.
slumberjack
http://www.van-damme.com/vandamme_product/van-damme-reduced-od-console -cable/#1537534704632-c472e6a0-7e3824df-956f73cf-97ed

2.7 mm diameter, best cable i ever saw. fells like heaven to touch, bends very well.
BlinkyLights
Those braided ones are great.
SSacco11
slumberjack wrote:
http://www.van-damme.com/vandamme_product/van-damme-reduced-od-console -cable/#1537534704632-c472e6a0-7e3824df-956f73cf-97ed

2.7 mm diameter, best cable i ever saw. fells like heaven to touch, bends very well.

Does any manufacturer use this cable? Any way to purchase it without getting 100m?
matttech
I made a load of cables with those REAN connectors and they didn’t seem to work well with a lot of my doepfer modules. They were wobbly, loose and intermittent. Worked fine in other sockets...metal ones, or even the tighter plastic ones on synthesis technology or tip-top (older designs)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1