MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Effect in Modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Effect in Modular?
Moruial
Really interested by all the Modular synth world, I search what can be the first module I could use with my external gear (mostly synth).

I don't even know if it exist or where to search to be honest...
Is there some kind of effect thingy that can be use like a delay/reverb pedal?
To compare with non-modular things, the Strymon Big Sky or Eventide Space are more or less the kind of effect I'd like to have. To be able to have big and long space/ich sound for ambient, if it helps.
As said I don't even know if it's possible to use "regular" synth with modular, but if I don't ask, I can't know smile

I don't search for the same thing everyone is using, but i'll follow every lead to find the right one for my sound.

A similar post as be posted on the General Music thread to enlarge the vision of possible gear.
He_lium
If you want something like Space or Big Sky go for it because in my opinion there's nothing similar in eurorack.
But as a very interesting reverb/delay - it depends on the tastes obviously - I think to Erbe-Verb, not a very clean reverb (with pre-delay) that can also be a drone/noise/metallic sound generator by itself with all parameter CVable. Perhaps Magneto too but I've never tried it.
Moruial
I'm looking for something with long trail, if it help, with very long decay. But I'll check that out, thanks
bwhittington
You can achieve very long decays with the Erbeverb. I think He_lium is just saying that if you like the sound of the Strymon or Eventide pedals, you may not replicate them exactly. With Erbeverb, you could dial in similar things in theory, but it lends itself to new discoveries and what ultimately may be unnatural sounds. In totally cool ways that would well suit your ambient interests, I might add.

I recently put together a small Eurorack case mainly for external processing that includes Erbeverb, Magneto, and Modcan's Dual Delay and a cheap and wacky spring reverb. A eurorack effects rack can be a lot of fun but will easily take you in different direction than pedals.

Mutable Instruments Clouds would be well worth a look for ambient washes, and for a dark horse, totally clangourously different effect, Metasonix Spring Reverb.

It is useful to have a slew of modulators to take advantage of these being in a modular format. I kind of like the Soundmachines Lightstrips for working with the Erbeverb to make user-defined peaks for some of the parameters, but there are many, many options.
DSC
Your wish was also mine. The need for more CV!


jakobprogsch
I'd be very tempted to get a Dreadbox Splash if I didn't already have one in a Nyx. It doesn't offer as many modes as some of the fancier pedals but the ones it has are very much spacious and long tailed. It will do infinite tails actually. I have a BlueSky to compare and I like both. The Nyx/Splash is certainly more on the spacey end of the spectrum compared to the Strymon.
Moruial
jakobprogsch wrote:
I'd be very tempted to get a Dreadbox Splash if I didn't already have one in a Nyx. It doesn't offer as many modes as some of the fancier pedals but the ones it has are very much spacious and long tailed. It will do infinite tails actually. I have a BlueSky to compare and I like both. The Nyx/Splash is certainly more on the spacey end of the spectrum compared to the Strymon.


To be completly honest, the Splash is the closer to what I'm looking for, and waaaay more close to the price I'm looking for, especially if I'll go modular.


I know that Strymon and Eventide are quiet expensive gear, but they are the only ones I know at the moment. As said, I'm fairly new to music and have lot of things to discover, but I can't spend that much money on gear, unfortunatly confused
butthat spacy reverb is a good lead, thank you
JohnLRice
Moruial wrote:
Really interested by all the Modular synth world, I search what can be the first module I could use with my external gear (mostly synth).

I don't even know if it exist or where to search to be honest...
Is there some kind of effect thingy that can be use like a delay/reverb pedal?
To compare with non-modular things, the Strymon Big Sky or Eventide Space are more or less the kind of effect I'd like to have. To be able to have big and long space/ich sound for ambient, if it helps.
As said I don't even know if it's possible to use "regular" synth with modular, but if I don't ask, I can't know smile
In general I think you find that effects modules are mostly more expensive and or less capable then guitar pedal effects, with the main advantage being that they will have one or more CV inputs for more complex control. That may be slowly changing though?

I often use guitar pedals with modular ssynths but more often then not I use them in the effects send/receive of an external mixing board. There are modules thought that can make it easy to set the input and output levels and impedance to interface the higher modular synth outputs to the lower input level pedals expect and then boost the pedal output level going back to the modular. For instance the Strymon AA.1 in eurorack format and the Analog Craftsman 4x Instrument Interface:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/strymon-aa-1



https://www.modulargrid.net/d/analog-craftsman-4x-instrument-interface


You didn't mention what modular format you are considering by the way. There are several and you don't have to have just one but most people start out with just one since it's less confusing and less expensive.
Moruial
JohnLRice wrote:

I often use guitar pedals with modular ssynths but more often then not I use them in the effects send/receive of an external mixing board. There are modules thought that can make it easy to set the input and output levels and impedance to interface the higher modular synth outputs to the lower input level pedals expect and then boost the pedal output level going back to the modular. For instance the Strymon AA.1 in eurorack format and the Analog Craftsman 4x Instrument Interface:


So, if I understand correctly those two modules are kinda "interfaces" to correctly use pedals with modular synth?


JohnLRice wrote:
You didn't mention what modular format you are considering by the way. There are several and you don't have to have just one but most people start out with just one since it's less confusing and less expensive.


I don't have any idea about what format to use, and I don't have limite of space or time, the only sad limit is money in my situation.
The more I learn about modular synth, the more it appear complex and yet appealing. Can't wait for the big jump!
JohnLRice
Moruial wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

I often use guitar pedals with modular ssynths but more often then not I use them in the effects send/receive of an external mixing board. There are modules thought that can make it easy to set the input and output levels and impedance to interface the higher modular synth outputs to the lower input level pedals expect and then boost the pedal output level going back to the modular. For instance the Strymon AA.1 in eurorack format and the Analog Craftsman 4x Instrument Interface:


So, if I understand correctly those two modules are kinda "interfaces" to correctly use pedals with modular synth?
Yes, exactly! thumbs up They aren't completely necessary, I don't have one myself, but they can make things easier.


Moruial wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
You didn't mention what modular format you are considering by the way. There are several and you don't have to have just one but most people start out with just one since it's less confusing and less expensive.


I don't have any idea about what format to use, and I don't have limite of space or time, the only sad limit is money in my situation.
The more I learn about modular synth, the more it appear complex and yet appealing. Can't wait for the big jump!
If you have time but not a lot of money, two things you can do are being patient to find used modules to buy and/or building your own modules from kits/parts if you are into soldering and mild mechanical assembly. For used modules the Eurorack format is the easiest to find them in since it's the most popular format so more people are selling items. If you want to go DIY and build your own . . . the 5U MOTM format may still be the best choice, at least it was the undisputed king of DIY 6 years ago. I haven't thought much about it lately but the 5U MU format may be as good or greater then MOTM these days since the MU format is a much healthier and active format now and pre-made panels are more available then they used to be. Check out SynthCube in the USA for panels, PCBs, and related parts for building several formats. Eurorack also has a decent DIY community these days so check out the Synthrotek brand in the USA and Thonk in the UK.
Drakhe
Your in France right? How far are you from Paris? If at all possible, go and visit Modular Square, Cyril and the guys will be most happy to assist and you'll be able to test some stuff out.

https://www.modularsquare.com/
SuspiciousMind
Erbeverb is dull in my ears, I had it and I sold it.

You can achieve long tails with regeneration and feedback.

Might worth checking Black Hole DSP2. Value for money multi-effect module imo.
Moruial
JohnLRice wrote:
If you have time but not a lot of money, two things you can do are being patient to find used modules to buy and/or building your own modules from kits/parts if you are into soldering and mild mechanical assembly. For used modules the Eurorack format is the easiest to find them in since it's the most popular format so more people are selling items. If you want to go DIY and build your own . . . the 5U MOTM format may still be the best choice, at least it was the undisputed king of DIY 6 years ago. I haven't thought much about it lately but the 5U MU format may be as good or greater then MOTM these days since the MU format is a much healthier and active format now and pre-made panels are more available then they used to be. Check out SynthCube in the USA for panels, PCBs, and related parts for building several formats. Eurorack also has a decent DIY community these days so check out the Synthrotek brand in the USA and Thonk in the UK.


Actually DIY is where I wish to start. No format yet, just trying to build simple VCO/sequencer. Will do more complex thing then. But from what I've seen the DIY kits available in store are quiet expensive imho, so I try to build them my self from scratch.
Thanks for the names by the way, I'll check that. But damn, why those damn panel are so expensive!!! eek!

Drakhe wrote:
Your in France right? How far are you from Paris? If at all possible, go and visit Modular Square, Cyril and the guys will be most happy to assist and you'll be able to test some stuff out.


I am yes, somebody already told me to go there, a guy from belgium actually haha. Is it really the good place to go?

SuspiciousMind wrote:
You can achieve long tails with regeneration and feedback.

Can you explain a bit more? I'm curious about how you can how you can do that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group