MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Module for patching between cases to transport them
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Module for patching between cases to transport them
starthief
I used the Doepfer A-180-9 over an 8 foot Cat6 connection which was partially coiled up in a box with lots of other cables (USB, power, MIDI...) It was a bit noisy, but I ran an extra ground wire attached via spade lugs under the screws of the A-180-9 and that cleaned it right up.

Cat7 would probably have made that unnecessary, but Cat6 is what the local store happened to have unless I wanted to try 100-foot cables lol

(I since consolidated to one case and have an A-180-9 pair along with the Cat6 cables up in B/S/T grin)
ersatzplanet
starthief wrote:
I used the Doepfer A-180-9 over an 8 foot Cat6 connection which was partially coiled up in a box with lots of other cables (USB, power, MIDI...) It was a bit noisy, but I ran an extra ground wire attached via spade lugs under the screws of the A-180-9 and that cleaned it right up.

Cat7 would probably have made that unnecessary, but Cat6 is what the local store happened to have unless I wanted to try 100-foot cables lol

(I since consolidated to one case and have an A-180-9 pair along with the Cat6 cables up in B/S/T grin)

Can somebody post a picture of the PCB side of the Doepfer A-180-9 so I can see what kind of jacks he is using and if he is connecting the normalization pins (if they have them)? The possible mod I posted a couple of post ago would help with the situation above.
starthief
Sure.

ersatzplanet
starthief wrote:
Sure.

It appears to me from that picture, that the normalization legs of the jacks are not connected to anything (unless they are on the other side of the board). If this is so, a wire jumper between this leg and the ground leg of the same jack will make a ground connection whenever the jacks are not used. If you can't get a shielded cable to make the ground connection, all you have to do is not use one of the jacks and the connection would be made. Also if many jacks are not used, the shielding in the cable gets better since more parallel lines in the cable are now ground.

Of course I could be completely wrong about this since I don't have one here to test. I imagine that somebody who has one will jump in and correct me if I am wrong.
starthief
ersatzplanet wrote:
It appears to me from that picture, that the normalization legs of the jacks are not connected to anything (unless they are on the other side of the board). If this is so, a wire jumper between this leg and the ground leg of the same jack will make a ground connection whenever the jacks are not used. If you can't get a shielded cable to make the ground connection, all you have to do is not use one of the jacks and the connection would be made. Also if many jacks are not used, the shielding in the cable gets better since more parallel lines in the cable are now ground.

I wasn't sure how these jacks are laid out, but with a continuity tester I found that the legs with the black dots are "ground", and the legs opposite seem to be the ones that are connected when no cable is inserted.

My soldering skills aren't up to par and these are ones I'm trying to sell, so I'm not going to try smile

(Since these have no power cable, the "grounding" is only through the sleeve of connected patch cables. Turns out the faceplate has way too much resistance to matter, so I think my spade lug grounding cable only worked because of the screw's contact with the rail... hmmm..... )
ersatzplanet
Can anyone give me the name of an online USA dealer that I can get a Doepfer A-180-9 from?
starthief
If I remember right I got mine from Detroit Modular. Unfortunately not many US dealers consistently have the full range of Doepfer modules in stock, but they usually do.

I've had to buy from Thomann at least once though.
adaris
Joey P. wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:
I have Octalinks in all my Intellijel cases, and use the Doepfer Multicore modules in my skiffs-no issues interconnecting them, Intellijel adopted the Doepfer standard. Best to use CAT 6a/7/8 cables to make sure they’re shielded. Not a fan of HDMI connectors—more failure-prone than RJ45’s in my experience.

I have a couple pairs if Octalinks and am thinking about getting the Doepfer A-180-9.

I notice the Doepfer only has 7 connectors on each Cat-5 connection. So is it just 1-7 to 1-7 between Octalink and Doepfer, and #8 isn't used?

Thanks,

According to the Doepfer website, the upper network connector is wired to the eight sockets 1-8, the lower to the six sockets A-F. So I assume if you connect the upper network connector to an Octalink you could use all 8 channels on the Octalink.
zengomi
For your amusement, here's how I plan to deploy 6 sets of Doepfer A-180-9, 2 sets of ADDAC 213A, and two sets of ADDAC 213B.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2