MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plaits Harmonics knob and Mycelium Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Plaits Harmonics knob and Mycelium Synthesizer
JazzSynth
I was thinking about getting a Plaits but I'm not sure whether to get the original or the Mycelium Synthesizer.

Question for Plaits owners: do you spend a lot of time turning the Harmonics knob when using it in a patch?
lisa
Well, yeah. But not more than I turn the Morph and Timbre knobs. smile

Blue Lantern seems to make quality modules that are rather cheap. If you're in the US I guess you would save a bit if you get the Mycelium Synthesizer instead of Plaits.
DonKartofflo
Imho, fuck the profiteers and support the original designer.

I do feel quite strongly about this so bear with me but it jsdt bothers me that some random makes money off a cc-by-sa license that came to be from a well-spirited effort to give hackers and students of DSP design a resource to learn from and develop by themselces.
forestcaver
DonKartofflo wrote:

I do feel quite strongly about this so bear with me but it jsdt bothers me that some random makes money off a cc-by-sa license that came to be from a well-spirited effort to give hackers and students of DSP design a resource to learn from and develop by themselces.

What he said !

(The product support from Mutable Instruments is also unbelievably good)
JazzSynth
lisa wrote:
Well, yeah. But not more than I turn the Morph and Timbre knobs. smile

Blue Lantern seems to make quality modules that are rather cheap. If you're in the US I guess you would save a bit if you get the Mycelium Synthesizer instead of Plaits.

Thanks, that's helpful feedback.

DonKartofflo wrote:

I agree with this sentiment, but in this case it's not a straight clone. They've redesigned the UI and I wanted to see how people thought the new UI compares to the original.

I'm with you about the MI clones that are cheap copies, including those that just shrink the HP and throw out any usability.
joem
JazzSynth wrote:
They've redesigned the UI and I wanted to see how people thought the new UI compares to the original.

I haven't used the Blue Lantern one, but I have a Plaits and its UI is pretty great as-is. IMO there's no reason to make the harmonics knob bigger than the others except so that you can claim it's different from the MI original. I think this is especially true when you consider how purposefully well designed all of the MI modules are. Redesigning a good and purposefully-designed UI just for the sake of redesigning sounds like an absolutely horrible idea to me.
lisa
The Harmonics knob is bigger than Timbre and Morph on the original too. For no reason in my view, other than a symmetrical look.
thetwlo
support the designer, not the guy that only takes/steals/borrows. What has Flavio(Blue Lantern) ever shared under CC or in any way? He's a scourge, that's why he was banned here.
lisa
thetwlo: The way MI software is licenced it’s neither stolen nor borrowed. Besides, Blue Lantern has tons of original designs. And finally, the controversy you are referring to happened 8 years ago. Perhaps it’s time to move on?
Zymos
Modern concern trolling collides with ancient butt hurt..... meh
lm13700
you kids get off my lawn "Flavio was going to sue me...". That made thetwlo a star 8 years ago, and he still try's to ride the fame. That's why he can't let it go.
Hovercraft
The Blue Lantern UI version looks like a mess compared to the original. I don't think there's any good reason for the changes to the UI in this case. I also prefer to support Emilie and Mutable. Yes, it's legal, but supporting the original designer is a good idea.

"...Buy Mutable Instruments products (or the Softube clones) if you want to fund me, or build your own and give the money to charities.

Love,
Émilie "
joem
lisa wrote:
The Harmonics knob is bigger than Timbre and Morph on the original too. For no reason in my view, other than a symmetrical look.

True, but barely... It's a difference of millimeters. Nothing like the size difference on the Blue Lantern one.
lm13700
The harmonics knob on the plaits also is used with a combo button to determine the speed range of the oscillator. The led's look cool as they travel in an arch compared to a straight. The timbre and morphe knobs also match the arch led placement on this version. I ended up selling my plaits to get two mycelium synth modules. The pots are really solid, and the layout is great.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1