MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bizmuth Chaotic Signal Router
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Bizmuth Chaotic Signal Router
medium Rob
https://www.errorinstruments.com/a-54558440/bizmuth-modular/new-bizmut h/

Anybody using one of these? Can't find a proper manual, but the module is explained on the Error Instruments website. It seems straightforward, but it's also confusing:

"The module has three identical switches with three IO Jacks each: A, B and C. All operate according to the same four step connection sequence: A B C, A-B C, A-B-C, A B-C, and so on. A dash (-) indicates a connection"

every jack works as either an input and an output, i just don't quite understand how the switches (not a surface-mounted type of switch) work.

"All jacks are bi-directional, which means you can use them as inputs and outputs as well. For example, you can route a signal from the B IO jack to A, A and C, or just C, just like you can route two signals from A and/or C to B. Here you can see a simplified graphic from the switch sequence. In the actual sequence there are four times as many switch positions."

so, you wouldn't patch together two B jacks (on the same 'B' switch), for instance?

"Bizmuth has three preexisting connections also known as normalisations, which help you to realize more complex routing and to generate gates. All B IO jacks are normalised from top to bottom, and if a 16 pin power connector is plugged in, 5V is normalised to the top switches B IO jack. The actual gate out voltage is 4.8V

That means, that as long as you don’t plug a cable in a B IO jack, it will be connected to the B IO jack abowe [sic], or 5V if it’s the top one. Try leaving all B IOs empty and patch any A or C IO to a gate or trigger input! Turn the knob of the switch and notice the gates! A total of 6 gates can be generated if you use all A andC IOs."

Again, it's fairly straightforward, but I'm kinda confused. Better just start wiggling w/it, I s'pose
Dragonaut
Yeah, it took me an hour to wrap my head around this thing when I looked at it a month ago and now I don't think I completely understood it all. I can't figure out why there wouldn't be a master output for each switch.
timdrage
I've been really curious about this and close to buying one but I'm now guessing it's probably just three rotary encoders and a normalled 5v offset!? So i could build myself one for almost nothing, tho of course it wouldn't have the really cool panel which gives me nostalgia for childhood enamel badges smile

Does anyone know if there's any more circuitry in there or if it's just literally 3 encoders wired up as switches to the 3 sets of jacks? Surely there must at least be resistors to passively mix the A B and C? Else on some settings it would connect outputs to outputs, which people always say is a bad idea Dead Banana

Anyway looks like a great instrument for live cutups!
CaneMan
OK. You can make quickly changing gates at the twist of a knob. For sanity's sake, If I think of column B as the in column and columns A and C as the out columns, it's really easy to understand. It just has that Error Instruments patina of, "Is this something I would actually use?" Maybe on my experimental rack.
dekemcculo
http://www.instagram.com/p/BuCGgvgBW_w/

this demo makes it look so fun w00t
MarcelP
CaneMan wrote:
OK. You can make quickly changing gates at the twist of a knob. For sanity's sake, If I think of column B as the in column and columns A and C as the out columns, it's really easy to understand. It just has that Error Instruments patina of, "Is this something I would actually use?" Maybe on my experimental rack.

Could be useful to get a few - and with a bit of cross patching one would have a manually operated Enigma machine?
Pighood
Ordered one from Perfect Circuit a month ago...still “coming soon”
Virusinstaller
That demo on Instagram makes it look really cool.
Could just sit there for an hour noodling around with the knobs making ever changing drum patterns.
Dragonaut
I really dig the panel design on this thing. Uniform systems are cool and all but a design like this highlights the modular aspect really nicely.
f33d
I thought I could, but I can't wrap my head around this.
It can mix/route up to 6 trigger inputs, but where would I put them in? Does it matter? Would it be the first two horizontal rows or vertical? And the remaining 3 would be the outputs. Would there be the possibility of all 6 to be present at some output or is it only a 3 x 2 Trigs Combiner? So many questions.
NARC NOISE
I just ordered one (amongst a few other modules) from Error Instruments in the Netherlands. It would appear they still have them in stock

https://www.errorinstruments.com
dekemcculo
think of it as 3 rows of passive mults with (1,2,3) each having 3 jacks (a,b,c). each knob corresponds to one row and as you turn it, it cycles thru connections with one knob position representing no connection between a,b,c, then connecting a-b, then a-b-c, then just b-c. theres a bunch of these cycles per knob rotation so that slight movements of the knob correspond with changing connections. column b has cascading normalization so if u plug an input to 1B you could have 6 outputs from columns A and C.

ok, then if you connect the module to power, 1B gets +5v unless you plug something in. this means as you turn the knob youre cycling thru connections of 5V to outputs. 5V going on and off aka gates.

another cool demo:
Pighood
Perfect Circuit got their back order units delivered....mine's coming Friday. fap fap fap...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1