MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MIDI Quadra Thru & MIDI power?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author MIDI Quadra Thru & MIDI power?
submute
Hey guys, can you clear something up for me? I have the Quadra Thru MIDI splitter, and it requires some kind of powered connection: my USB UM-ONE will power the splitter, but connecting it from my Clarett 4pre MIDI out will not, which is pretty frustrating.

Question is: a) why? b) is there a way to get the Clarett 4pre to power the Thru that I am not realizing? c) is there some of checking audio/MIDI interfaces in the future to determine wether it can provide that kind of power? and d) is there a better MIDI splitter than the Quadra Thru that will fine from the Clarett 4pre MIDI out?

Thanks!
Panason
Power over MIDI is not part of the official MIDI spec. I would get a powered MIDI hub or, better, a bigger MIDI interface with enough outs so I don't need a thru box. If you can have one MIDI out port per MIDI device it's ideal IMO.
hermbot
They have a very detailed writeup on their page below, including a list of devices that do not support power over MIDI.

http://midisolutions.com/faqs.htm

IMO, it was a bad design.
chvad
"d) is there a better MIDI splitter than the Quadra Thru that will fine from the Clarett 4pre MIDI out? "

any powered (Kenton or otherwise) will work. Ive used the kenton and a battery powered MIDI hub with the clarett with success.

" c) is there some of checking audio/MIDI interfaces in the future to determine wether it can provide that kind of power?"

It's less the interface and more the manufacturer that you want to interface with. Some companies decide to supply it and others dont.

"b) is there a way to get the Clarett 4pre to power the Thru that I am not realizing?"

nope.

"a) why?"
someone on the forum answered this in detail once but i cant remember whom or the thread. sorry!
jimfowler
https://midisizer.com/midithru/midithru-x2/
submute
chvad wrote:
"d) is there a better MIDI splitter than the Quadra Thru that will fine from the Clarett 4pre MIDI out? "

any powered (Kenton or otherwise) will work. Ive used the kenton and a battery powered MIDI hub with the clarett with success.

" c) is there some of checking audio/MIDI interfaces in the future to determine wether it can provide that kind of power?"

It's less the interface and more the manufacturer that you want to interface with. Some companies decide to supply it and others dont.

"b) is there a way to get the Clarett 4pre to power the Thru that I am not realizing?"

nope.

"a) why?"
someone on the forum answered this in detail once but i cant remember whom or the thread. sorry!

Controlled Bleeding?! Ring of Fire is still one of my all time favorite songs. Love the work.
jabberwalky
my ancient midiman thru x4 from the 90s has a 9v power jack and works great. They are omitted on midi solutions boxes because they are cheap garbage. Focusrite also goes cheap and doesnt send power from it's midi...

It's an even bigger issue more recently with lots of boxes using the 3.5mm jack for MIDI, which, as far as I know never provides power.
chvad
submute wrote:

Controlled Bleeding?! Ring of Fire is still one of my all time favorite songs. Love the work.

Thank you but that's before my tenure with the band but I'll I pass on the word to Paul! Cheers!
chvad
jabberwalky wrote:
They are omitted on midi solutions boxes because they are cheap garbage.

They do the job just fine and have for years. I've never had a Midi Solutions box fail. Is it 100% compatible with everything? No. Garbage? Nope.

jabberwalky wrote:
Focusrite also goes cheap and doesnt send power from it's midi...

As was mentioned before it has nothing to do with "going cheap". Supplying power via midi deviates from spec. Plenty of companies aside from Novation don't supply power either.

jabberwalky wrote:
It's an even bigger issue more recently with lots of boxes using the 3.5mm jack for MIDI, which, as far as I know never provides power.

I'm not a fan of 3.5mm jacks for MIDI either but again... see above.
ranix
you can hack MIDI power into a device that doesn't have it, but it's an adventure. Need to find a 5v source and a ground to tap into. I'm more comfortable doing that with modules (like the synthesizers.com MIDI module) than with standalone devices myself. Less risk.

I did make this modification to one of my modules to be able to power a Yamaha Bluetooth/MIDI adapter for a little while. I don't use it anymore.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1