MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

*video* Red Module MINI BC Eurorack Breath Controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author *video* Red Module MINI BC Eurorack Breath Controller
redmodule
Excited to finally show this off hyper

I started on this as a project for myself last year and was so pleased with the results I decided to put this out as my first production eurorack module.

In the photos you will see a typical end-blown mouthpiece and a really odd shaped one.. this one was modeled after an actual flute headjoint which enables flute-style embouchure with a breath controller. I am not a flautist, but because the slew rate of CV is so much greater than MIDI, a lot of flute extended technique stuff can now be approximated in eurorack thumbs up

I actually haven't been able to find anyone else who has attempted a side-blown breath controller (DIY or production) but if anyone does know I would be curious about what approach they took, FYI..

So, it's $129.99 for a bundle that includes:

Red Module MINI BC with end-blown or side-blown mouthpiece
RSD-01-BC 4HP Module: supplies power and CV output
Stereo 3.5mm cable (connects BC POWER and MINI BC)
16 Pin Eurorack Power Cable
Black Lanyard

Specs:
CV Output: 0 to 5V
Module Depth: 35mm
MINI BC End-blown Dimensions: 64 * 25 * 25mm
MINI BC Side-blown Dimensions: 61 * 25 * 25mm

The MINI BC is also available separate for $64.99 (end-blown or side-blown).

*update*
MINI BC bundle is now available to order with a turnaround time of one week. I am also actively looking for a distributor smile

You can visit my gumroad (link below) to make your order as well as find more pics and technical details. I am currently writing a manual, so any questions you have will definitely help smile

http://www.redmodule.shop/

Oh yeah, I have another module I'm going to reveal on here shortly.. something inspired by Moog "The Source" twisted
gridrunner
Looks Great! Can't wait to see some video!
redmodule
I'm gonna post a demo to soundcloud tomorrow demonstrating what kind of articulation you get with each mouthpiece. Will upload some more pics too

You should see video a little later on.. some action on a 'scope, at least cool

Here's a link to RSD-01-BC on modulargrid btw

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-rsd-01-bc-breath-control
blipson
I'm a flutist and really look forward to the side-blown mouthpiece because it won't collect as much condensation. Water dripping all over has been a big issue for me with various wind controllers, just as it is with trumpets, etc. I'm hoping that flute-style will avoid dripping entirely. The price you pay for that is that a flute's "air reed" is a lot less breath-efficient.

By the way, your web site is looking very messed up from my Safari browser.
redmodule
blipson wrote:
I'm a flutist and really look forward to the side-blown mouthpiece because it won't collect as much condensation. Water dripping all over has been a big issue for me with various wind controllers, just as it is with trumpets, etc. I'm hoping that flute-style will avoid dripping entirely. The price you pay for that is that a flute's "air reed" is a lot less breath-efficient.

Interesting.. send a screengrab in pms?

I'm looking at it in Safari (and Chrome) and not having any issues. since it's a gumroad I don't have a whole lot of control over page rendering, though
blipson
redmodule wrote:
blipson wrote:

Interesting.. send a screengrab in pms?

I'm looking at it in Safari (and Chrome) and not having any issues. since it's a gumroad I don't have a whole lot of control over page rendering, though

Oh, wait, it was Ghostery. When I whitelisted your site, there was no problem.
NS4W
Nice project! I'm interested in seeing a demo w00t
gridrunner
Would it be difficult to modify one to run 0 to 8 volts? I don't know what most people prefer, but most VCA's I have fully open around 8V, and it's usually easier to attenuate down for other modulation purposes than to amplify up.
redmodule
Higher voltage modification isn't possible, 5V is about max output with quite a bit of breath pressure as well.

I would recommend something like Doepfer A-183-3 Amplifier for bringing up the CV as it is cheap and readily available smile. Personally I've had no issue just turning up the volume on my VCA or turning it up in the mix.
redmodule
Here's a real quick soundcloud demo I recorded of some articulations possible using the side-blown mouthpiece. Sine waves used as source.

https://soundcloud.com/red-module/mini-bc-quickie-side-blown-articulat ion-demo

I'm working on a slightly more musical demo vid with some keyboard work and a tutorial video for getting the CV output working with Expert Sleepers. You should see all that soon razz
redmodule

MINI BC is currently ready to order with a turnaround time of one week!

http://red-module.com

I would like to have these more readily available but I have a regular job and need time for assembly/shipping. I am looking for a distributor which would help us on that front.

Anyway, about the new video.. mostly me messing about for 10 minutes, endblown and sideblown demonstrated. Scope view represents 0 to 5V

Here to answer any questions, keep it biomechanoid w00t
blipson
Cool. From a wind player's point of view, it would also be interesting to get a better sense of the breath controller's playing feel. For example, hold down a note, then do some tongue articulations, dynamics, amplitude vibrato, etc. with the breath controller so that we can see how responsive it is.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1