*video* Red Module MINI BC Eurorack Breath Controller

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

redmodule
Learning to Wiggle

*video* Red Module MINI BC Eurorack Breath Controller

Post by redmodule » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Excited to finally show this off :hyper:

I started on this as a project for myself last year and was so pleased with the results I decided to put this out as my first production eurorack module.

In the photos you will see a typical end-blown mouthpiece and a really odd shaped one.. this one was modeled after an actual flute headjoint which enables flute-style embouchure with a breath controller. I am not a flautist, but because the slew rate of CV is so much greater than MIDI, a lot of flute extended technique stuff can now be approximated in eurorack :tu:

I actually haven't been able to find anyone else who has attempted a side-blown breath controller (DIY or production) but if anyone does know I would be curious about what approach they took, FYI..

Image Image

So, it's $129.99 for a bundle that includes:

Red Module MINI BC with end-blown or side-blown mouthpiece
RSD-01-BC 4HP Module: supplies power and CV output
Stereo 3.5mm cable (connects BC POWER and MINI BC)
16 Pin Eurorack Power Cable
Black Lanyard

Specs:
CV Output: 0 to 5V
Module Depth: 35mm
MINI BC End-blown Dimensions: 64 * 25 * 25mm
MINI BC Side-blown Dimensions: 61 * 25 * 25mm

The MINI BC is also available separate for $64.99 (end-blown or side-blown).

*update*
MINI BC bundle is now available to order with a turnaround time of one week. I am also actively looking for a distributor :)

You can visit my gumroad (link below) to make your order as well as find more pics and technical details. I am currently writing a manual, so any questions you have will definitely help :)

http://www.redmodule.shop/

Oh yeah, I have another module I'm going to reveal on here shortly.. something inspired by Moog "The Source" :twisted:
Last edited by redmodule on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

gridrunner
Common Wiggler

Post by gridrunner » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Looks Great! Can't wait to see some video!

redmodule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by redmodule » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 pm

I'm gonna post a demo to soundcloud tomorrow demonstrating what kind of articulation you get with each mouthpiece. Will upload some more pics too

You should see video a little later on.. some action on a 'scope, at least 8-)

Here's a link to RSD-01-BC on modulargrid btw

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unk ... th-control

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 pm

I'm a flutist and really look forward to the side-blown mouthpiece because it won't collect as much condensation. Water dripping all over has been a big issue for me with various wind controllers, just as it is with trumpets, etc. I'm hoping that flute-style will avoid dripping entirely. The price you pay for that is that a flute's "air reed" is a lot less breath-efficient.

By the way, your web site is looking very messed up from my Safari browser.

redmodule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by redmodule » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:00 pm

blipson wrote:I'm a flutist and really look forward to the side-blown mouthpiece because it won't collect as much condensation. Water dripping all over has been a big issue for me with various wind controllers, just as it is with trumpets, etc. I'm hoping that flute-style will avoid dripping entirely. The price you pay for that is that a flute's "air reed" is a lot less breath-efficient.

By the way, your web site is looking very messed up from my Safari browser.
Interesting.. send a screengrab in pms?

I'm looking at it in Safari (and Chrome) and not having any issues. since it's a gumroad I don't have a whole lot of control over page rendering, though

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:03 pm

redmodule wrote:
blipson wrote:By the way, your web site is looking very messed up from my Safari browser.
Interesting.. send a screengrab in pms?

I'm looking at it in Safari (and Chrome) and not having any issues. since it's a gumroad I don't have a whole lot of control over page rendering, though
Oh, wait, it was Ghostery. When I whitelisted your site, there was no problem.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 am

Nice project! I'm interested in seeing a demo :party:

gridrunner
Common Wiggler

Post by gridrunner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:04 am

Would it be difficult to modify one to run 0 to 8 volts? I don't know what most people prefer, but most VCA's I have fully open around 8V, and it's usually easier to attenuate down for other modulation purposes than to amplify up.

redmodule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by redmodule » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm

Higher voltage modification isn't possible, 5V is about max output with quite a bit of breath pressure as well.

I would recommend something like Doepfer A-183-3 Amplifier for bringing up the CV as it is cheap and readily available :). Personally I've had no issue just turning up the volume on my VCA or turning it up in the mix.

redmodule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by redmodule » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Here's a real quick soundcloud demo I recorded of some articulations possible using the side-blown mouthpiece. Sine waves used as source.

https://soundcloud.com/red-module/mini- ... ation-demo

I'm working on a slightly more musical demo vid with some keyboard work and a tutorial video for getting the CV output working with Expert Sleepers. You should see all that soon :razz:

redmodule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by redmodule » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:24 pm

[video][/video]

MINI BC is currently ready to order with a turnaround time of one week!

http://red-module.com

I would like to have these more readily available but I have a regular job and need time for assembly/shipping. I am looking for a distributor which would help us on that front.

Anyway, about the new video.. mostly me messing about for 10 minutes, endblown and sideblown demonstrated. Scope view represents 0 to 5V

Here to answer any questions, keep it biomechanoid :party:

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:05 pm

Cool. From a wind player's point of view, it would also be interesting to get a better sense of the breath controller's playing feel. For example, hold down a note, then do some tongue articulations, dynamics, amplitude vibrato, etc. with the breath controller so that we can see how responsive it is.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:07 pm

What happened with this module? Did they all sell out?

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Re: *video* Red Module MINI BC Eurorack Breath Controller

Post by wuff_miggler » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:28 am

Bump - red module site is not working.
i sold my yamaha bc-3 years ago - and kinda want something less awkward. this looked like a cool alternative

Return to “Eurorack Modules”