MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modcan - help me choose!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Modcan - help me choose!!
haricots
Ok, I have the 'ability' to buy my first Modcan module. I'm in need of another oscillator so my choices are obvious - VCO, Dual VCO, VCDO, Dual VDO.

Firstly, my current setup is 2 racks of Frac and a half rack of MOTM all powered off of 2 Blacet PS500's. From what I've read all I need is a 3 pin to 4 pin power cable which Modcan will assemble. Is this correct? Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Now, I'm currently leaning towards the VCDO due to the modulation capabilities but the 180 waveforms and the morphing in the DVDO has me excited as well.

So if there are any Modcan users with some advise I'm all ears!

Thanks.
thermionicjunky
The special power cable is all you need. I don't have it yet, but I'm most excited about the VCDO. It is really a synthesizer in a module. I like the idea of wave blending, but I haven't heard enough of the DVDO to get that excited.
BananaPlug
I'm more interested in the dual. Today I posted a plea on the Modcan Yahoo group for more samples. Maybe somebody has the module and some time on their hands. One tidbit I can pass along is that Bruce tells me it does contain wavetables for some of the traditional analog waveshapes and being 12 bit they sound quite close to analog, slightly less so at the top of the frequency range. Beyond that I don't have much sense of it's range of timbres.
parasitk
Bruce also recently said the Dual VCO is being dropped from production, so keep that in mind.
thermionicjunky
The Dual VCO seem unnecessary if you have a few oscillators. The DVDO seems like having two high-fidelity Miniwaves with a special interpolation feature. What I like about the VCDO is the scale from pure tone to noise, continuously variable index and built-in AM. I need to get one within a year.
parasitk
I'm just mentioning it since haricots expressed interest in that module as well.
thermionicjunky
parasitk wrote:
I'm just mentioning it since haricots expressed interest in that module as well.

Yeah, if one is determined to end up with all of them, I suppose that now is the time to order the Dual VCO. It's a matter of priorities. If the modular is constantly being used for classic monosynth leads and basses, the Dual VCO is extremely valuable. However, one needs to be content with the lack of sine and triangle waves. For the money, I would prefer more features or more unusual features. If money wasn't an issue ... ha.
haricots
Chosen - I just ordered the VCDO!!! How exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 hyper
parasitk
Sweet!
dkcg
What's the turnaround rate on a typical modcan order? That CV recorder sure looks tastey. My eurorack is full, actually eurorackS are full, there's not a whole lot in euro I lust after as much as a serge panel, modcan rack, or buchla boat, and the prices on modcan don't seem too bad. How long does it take to get a module and case after ordering? Not that I will be any time soon.
Gordon Cole
Ghost
dkcg
Gordon Cole wrote:
2 to 3 months but I think they've fallen a touch behind after a few recent large orders

Oh man, that's so tempting...

After the holidays...I keep telling myself, no more modules til after the holidays, or everyone's getting a lump of coal from me this winter.
Scaff
2-3 month is a long time but i will take the modcon route. But i don´t know if i should take one or two vcdo meh A dual-LFO is on my list!
haricots
I ordered the VCDO this week and Bruce said it should be ready by mid Jan.
thermionicjunky
This seems to be the busiest time of the year for Modcan, and the only time that the wait can exceed the estimated delivery time. When I placed my first order two years ago, there were also some massive orders ahead of me, but the delay was only a couple of weeks. I placed an order for a VC DADSR last week and was also told January. Before he switched back to USD, I was also going to order a VCDO, but that will have to wait. Luckily, it's massive popularity will ensure that it will remain available.
parasitk
thermionicjunky wrote:
I was also going to order a VCDO, but that will have to wait. Luckily, it's massive popularity will ensure that it will remain available.

Yeah it seems a lot of people are getting into Modcan recently over this module. we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1