MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

*VIDEO* Befaco Kickall - kicks, bass, FM voices ...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author *VIDEO* Befaco Kickall - kicks, bass, FM voices ...
ben_hex
I've had the pleasure of testing the Kickall module from Befaco for a little while now ( you may remember the prototype video I made - https://youtu.be/Io-A1Ue5RY8 ) and as usual with Befaco it's been a total pleasure to test and try out. Above anything Kickall (as intended) is a mega kick drum with a wide range, more unique sound than a drum machine clone and a good range of CV controlled parameters. It's also a great synth voice and with some modulation tricks as I show in the video a wider range of more harsh digital tones, claps, snares and FM voices.

https://youtu.be/KQIl07UQMK0

TIMING INDEX / SECTIONS BELOW

00:00 Hello and patch previews

01:03 Feature run down

02:00 Kick sounds

03:27 Techno! Deep pounding kicks

04:22 Kickall as a full and dynamic synth voice

05:22 Velocity/level input demo

06:48 Plump rump, big booty kick drum / bassline hybrid

07:51 Noise modulation to make snares and other new sounds

10:07 Turning Kickall into a full drum kit

11:33 FM, AM and audio rate modulation

14:17 Random modulation and random groove

15:34 FM melodies - kickall as a synth voice with FM other tune

16:30 Turning drums to drones! Adding Crush Delay and modulation to try and immitate a Lyra-8 style drone sound.

17:20 A quick drum beat jam

18:05 How to turn Kickall into a standard droning VCO
Luap
2 videos on this and I still can't buy one at Thonk yet!? eek! This is an outrage.
I jest.. hihi (Its ok to be a bit impatient though, right??)
ben_hex
Luap wrote:
2 videos on this and I still can't buy one at Thonk yet!? eek! This is an outrage.
I jest.. hihi (Its ok to be a bit impatient though, right??)

haha it's out tomorrow I think (the 12th).

Befaco pulled the release forward from the 15th (and we spoke about getting the video out early (first time for that actually) as there's something else coming on the 15th.
Befacosynth
ben_hex wrote:
here's something else coming on the 15th.

"something else" hihi

What is it? hihi

Does it have four channels? hihi
starthief
Wow... glad I decided to watch this even though I don't feel like I need a kick drum module. This is more than that, though. I had to watch it through twice and the drone part a couple of extra times.

I'm really curious about the noise-into-trigger trick. It doesn't look like it's resetting the phase with every trigger, but the noise character is getting in somehow. What happens if you use an audio rate square to trigger it? Is it kind of like VCO sync, or something else?

And for some real mad science, what happens if you mult the output into the trigger input? twisted
Jalopy
You've done it again Ben, bursting with GAS right now...

DIY FTW
ben_hex
Befacosynth might be four channels, four channels of awesome sauce hahaha

Yeah that did strike me as odd starthief. Not hearing the noise tone in a harsher way or more obvious resetting of the wave. Using oscillator waveforms imparts the pitch/tone of that oscillator way more than the noise which I didn't find to be as useful. It didn't try square and think of it as sync though. I'll have to try it.

I'm totally useless at DIY Jalopy but always great to see people supporting both DIY and assembled side by side.
Luap
Kits are up at Thonk now (and probably other places too?)
thumbs up
NoLegs
Interesting, how do you think this compares to the SSF Entity bds?
ben_hex
NoLegs wrote:

Compares in what sense?
NoLegs
ben_hex wrote:
NoLegs wrote:

Compares in what sense?

In a general sense I guess - do you feel this covers any features or sonic territory that the entity bds does not and vice versa? Pros or cons to choosing one over the other. I’ve been wanting an Entity bds for awhile, but this seems like it might fill a similar role in a smaller footprint.
ben_hex
NoLegs wrote:
ben_hex wrote:
NoLegs wrote:

Compares in what sense?

In a general sense I guess - do you feel this covers any features or sonic territory that the entity bds does not and vice versa? Pros or cons to choosing one over the other. I’ve been wanting an Entity bds for awhile, but this seems like it might fill a similar role in a smaller footprint.

Well I won't get into just comparing features too much because you can pull up websites / modular grid and compare HP, controls, CV inputs etc. But ... there's some tonal overlap in places. But the way the both drive/waveshape sounds and feels very different. You've obviously a lot more control and CV on the Entity. They do however feel and sound different and are very different modules sizes. You're choice should come from either which tonally speaks to you the most or simply what control you need to achieve what you want. One might have the control you need that the other doesn't.
BTG
Still can’t find these for sale? Is there s firm release date?

EDIT: bah, turns out pca has them today!
ugokcen
Everything I heard in that video sounded great. I’ve been lusting after DFAM’s kick/bass tones for a while and this may scratch that itch for less money and hp.

I’m not hundred percent sold on the waveshaper though. I think it should have been at the end of the signal chain not at the beginning. That’s probably why it sounds very different from other dedicated kick modules like the SSF entity or the hexinverter stuff.
SPIKE the Percussionist
this kick is Satanically amazing!

just ordered one.
gummyboy
out of stock at thonk.... very frustrating
Luap
Wow, thats a packed PCB! Mine is built, but is not fully working yet unfortunately confused I've not been beat by any builds yet though! So i'll keep poking at it..

Also, incase anyone from Befaco/Thonk is reading. My kit didn't have a power cable. No problem for me as I have spares, but it might be an issue for other folk if theirs is missing too.
Jalopy
gummyboy wrote:
out of stock at thonk.... very frustrating

I know. I tried to bundle with the divkid mutes and missed em both.
angry
Luap
Luap wrote:
Mine is built, but is not fully working yet unfortunately confused

Fixed. It took a while, but it seems I may have had a bad opamp. I changed out all 4, and it now works great cool

[edit] I didn't retest the opamps. But I did notice they were not a very good fit in the sockets. The replacements were a much better fit. So the problem could be that they just didn't connect very well.
BTG
Got mine and it’s my favorite kick module by far. All sweet spot. I can get every kick I want, from clicky to subby to zappy, and it allows me to free up other modules.
ambrohski
My SWT 16 and Grids both output a smaller trigger voltage than needed to have the Kickall kick as hard as it does when the trigger on the front panel is hit. I've attempted to request a suggestion to remedy this (aside from patching in an offset to boost the trigger voltage), on the DIY forum, as well as reaching out to Befaco, but no response.

I'm interested in modifying the Kickall in some way to not be affected so significantly by a lower voltage trigger signal, or any other suggestion that might solve this issue.

I understand this functionality might be useful to some, but does not work well for me due to this design. I am open to any suggestions, aside from patching an offset to make the trigger a hotter signal.

Cool module, and one of many awesome Befaco modules I've built, but this aspect of its function is kind of a bummer. Please chime in if anyone has any clues, or similar experience. sad banana Thanks!
Nayberg
Thanks for the awesome video Ben - always great content on your channel smile

Will definitely be getting this for a drum-machine case in the (hopefully distant, but probably near) future.
vromr
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
this kick is Satanically amazing!

just ordered one.

An apt choice of words.
It's got that "it" to it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1