MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

make noise morphagene vs erica synths sample drum?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author make noise morphagene vs erica synths sample drum?
onthebandwagon
I’m slowing putting a rack togeather and planned to get a morphagene next but am wondering if the sample drum would do much of the same at what seems like will be a couple hundred less. Any thoughts?
VanEck
my first thought would be, there really isn't much of a comparison.

morphagene is all about granular and microsound possibilities. it is also stereo.

drum sample is mono and while it allows for slice points in the wave just like morphagene, it doesn't seem to get anywhere near the granular or microsound potential. also morphagene allows for sound on sound recording and tape reel style sound experimentation.

drum sample allows for the triggering and playback of 2 samples simultaneously. it's more cost effective and appears to be more straightforward than morphagene for basic sampling and one-shot sample playback. it also has a screen to show you what's going on which is nice.

2 totally different modules without too much overlap that i can see. all depends on your needs.
onthebandwagon
VanEck wrote:
my first thought would be, there really isn't much of a comparison.

morphagene is all about granular and microsound possibilities. it is also stereo.

2 totally different modules without too much overlap that i can see. all depends on your needs.

I assumed my comparison was likely clumsy, sample drum seems more in line with my modular naivety and needs but wasn’t aware of a similar module aside from morphagene which appealed to me (re: slicing etc.)—thanks for the clarification...
onthebandwagon
scrunday
In my opinion, Morphagene is more for sound design than sample playback. You can, either by using the firmware toggles or carefully using its parameters, use Morphagene as a clocked sample playback device. You could, even, through clever splicing, expand on that further, but you wouldn't really be using the module for what it is designed for.

The Sample Drum isn't out yet, but it seems like its going to be a lot easier and more intuitive for playing back time-stretched/triggered samples and beat mangling. If nothing else, consider that the Sample Drum has a screen UI, while the Morphagene does not. The screen should cut down on the need to remember things like secret handshakes (button combos) and LED color sequences.
void23
Modules for drum loops that that I like and own ... Disting Mk4 (my go to for a quick sync'd loop) and the ER-301 (takes a a bit of work to get clocked playback to work against a loop, but allows for slice / playback randomization).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1