MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2OC/Hemisphere Clock Div pulse won’t trigger 281e?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 2OC/Hemisphere Clock Div pulse won’t trigger 281e?
mathomas
In my case it won’t. I compiled the latest a few weeks ago, with the obvious Buchla-related compiler directives commented in (sorry I don’t have my stuff in front of me so I don’t have the version — I’m writing this while I’m thinking of it).

Maybe I’m missing something? Have others made it work?

Thanks!

PS:

Here’s a scope trace comparing the two pulses — 250e in blue vs 2OC/Hemisphere Div output in yellow:

ArguZ
As of now hemisphere is not supported on the 2OC
The reason is that Euro works in -3+6V and Buchla in 0-10

There is hardware changes in the old 2OC that would need to be addressed in all apps.
The new 2OC 1.5 uses an inverted opAmp circuitry and that is the one I sent to Jason to experiment on.
So first we will hopefully see compatibility for the cardOC and 2OC 1.5 for the full hemisphere suite, the big one, not the extra apps .
mathomas
ArguZ wrote:
As of now hemisphere is not supported on the 2OC
The reason is that Euro works in -3+6V and Buchla in 0-10

There is hardware changes in the old 2OC that would need to be addressed in all apps.
The new 2OC 1.5 uses an inverted opAmp circuitry and that is the one I sent to Jason to experiment on.
So first we will hopefully see compatibility for the cardOC and 2OC 1.5 for the full hemisphere suite, the big one, not the extra apps .

Thanks! I guess the presence of the compiler directives threw me off, but they’re probably just a leftover from the original OC firmware (or there for experimentation as you guys work through it). I see now, by browsing the code a bit deeper, the directive that I commented-in is not controlling all that much: mostly quantization/octaval stuff.
jimfowler
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem but if it's just a matter of getting Euro gate/trigger up to Buchla pulse levels wouldn't one of Tony's (synovatron) boards do the trick?

- Jim
mathomas
jimfowler wrote:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem but if it's just a matter of getting Euro gate/trigger up to Buchla pulse levels wouldn't one of Tony's (synovatron) boards do the trick?

- Jim

Yeah, it’s all Buchla in this situation. I have the dual O_C module for Buchla, with one side running Hemisphere. I’m feeding it Buchla pulses, but the clock divider output is insufficient to trigger the 281. Turns out Hemisphere is not fully compatible with Buchla at this point, which is fine. I just needed to know what to expect.
ArguZ
Time, time time...it will all come to you wink
mathomas
ArguZ wrote:
Time, time time...it will all come to you wink

Mr. Green
jimfowler
Right but wouldn’t Tony’s GTPulse board in between hemispheres and the 281 do the trick?
ArguZ
The Teensy is outputting the same 3V3 as before, that is scale by factor 3.
The software needs to be adjusted for the unipolar scaling..Same as the O_C suite.
Right now it probably tries to place a 10V pulse between -5V and +5V and the the hardware cuts the lower part so only a 5V pulse is present.
mathomas
ArguZ wrote:
The Teensy is outputting the same 3V3 as before, that is scale by factor 3.
The software needs to be adjusted for the unipolar scaling..Same as the O_C suite.
Right now it probably tries to place a 10V pulse between -5V and +5V and the the hardware cuts the lower part so only a 5V pulse is present.

I’m actually hoping to address this in a local build of Hemisphere, maybe this weekend. I’ve been looking at the code and I think I know how to proceed. If I make it work I’ll send the firmware developer a pull request.
mathomas
jimfowler wrote:
Right but wouldn’t Tony’s GTPulse board in between hemispheres and the 281 do the trick?

Thanks for these suggestions. I guess the GT Pulse could work but it’s not clear to me how to integrate it into my small system, with no spare space elegantly. If I can address it in software (here’s hoping), it’s cleaner, and all users benefit (eventually).

Thanks again.
mathomas
jimfowler wrote:

Oh, and ironically I actually have a un-racked CVGT1, but a) am not sure which of my many fully-packed cases of Eurorack to put it in, and b) even if I did, I don’t want yet another case of stuff littering my desk when Buchla-ing.

Yeah, it’s my problem — I’m weird that way :-)
mathomas
I have successfully hacked the firmware to emit a Buchla-sized pulse! I have now seen the clock divider successfully trigger a 281 channel, which is a huge win. While the code changes were simple, I need to boil it down to the minimal set of changes, and make it apply only for Buchla builds. Then I’ll submit a pull request to the Hemisphere developer

jimfowler
Awesome! I might dedicate half of my 2O_C to Hemispheres thanks to your efforts.

- Jim
mathomas
jimfowler wrote:
Awesome! I might dedicate half of my 2O_C to Hemispheres thanks to your efforts.

- Jim

Cool! My only worry is unintended consequences at this point. But maybe the Hemisphere dev can weigh in on that. I’m probably not going to dedicate a lot of time to extensive testing.

If you want to compile it yourself I can push the changes to my Github fork of the Hemisphere codebase once I’ve tested a bit more and cleaned things up a bit.
jimfowler
Yeah, I'd be down to give it a rip after you've played around a bit more. Worst case scenario I'll just reflash to the standard firmware if I find something that's really wonky.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1