MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lots of people selling MI Elements... Why?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Lots of people selling MI Elements... Why?
Gringo Starr
I’ve spent the last eight years with other modular formats but never eurorack. The desire to build a small mutable instruments system pulled me into this format. So I am a noob.

I’ve seen a lot of MI Elements for sale in the BST over the past couple months. More than any other MI module. One was as low as $250. Just curious if there’s a well known reason why people are dumping them... besides the fact that these days look like the beginning of a eurorack exodus.
honeyb
It is large, maybe? Free up rack space?

Some people think Rings gets them close enough.

Curious, though, I don't see too many noobs with 1984 posts to their name.

Also curious what you mean by a eurorack exodus??
lisa
More than any other MI module? That sounds odd and rather unlikely.

Anyway, I don't know about Elements but MI sells tons of modules compared to many other companies. The latest modules has sold thousands in no time at all. So, there are more MI modules around than most other brands. Also, since the code is free to use there are many DIY versions available too. Many modules available = many used modules for sale.

It's also quite big. There is a huge focus on small modules today. Perhaps some people feel that it takes up to much space?
bemushroomed
Pretty sure there's a mini version of it now, which of course would be more desirable to most people, HP costs money.. I'd say that large modules overall will be seen on the market more than a normal sized module since people might want the space for something else after a while.
Yes Powder
honeyb wrote:

TAKE COVER; SEVEN PAGES OF SPECULATION-BASED DEBATE INCOMING!
12eightyfive
Never owned an elements, but have owned a rings, a plaits and an intellijel plonk. Each of those does a lot of what elements does (afaik) in a much smaller package and any two of them together has more (if not quite all of elements) features. It's an issue of HP per feature and that newer modules are being released that are much smaller. 2 hp has one or two that are out now- pluck and ring that do some of the things. I think the trend is toward smaller kits that do more stuff.

Now's the time to get an elements I say, if you are interested. $250 sounds great. There are also smaller versions out there with mini knobs and the jacks a lot closer together.
Gringo Starr
honeyb wrote:
Curious, though, I don't see too many noobs with 1984 posts to their name.
I guess I need to be more clear. I’m a noob to the eurorack format.

Yes Powder wrote:
honeyb wrote:

Yes I agree. I shouldn’t have said that. Talk about derailing my own thread.
VanEck
i think you see a lot of elements for sale because a LOT of people own them. very popular module, so just makes sense you see it often in the marketplace just like any other popular module... rings, maths, etc.

also, as has already been pointed out, it is quite large. i have bought and sold elements 3 times. i flip it when i decide i need to free up space, end up missing it when i am doing recording, buy it again, and the cycle repeats.
honeyb
Gringo Starr wrote:

Yes Powder wrote:
honeyb wrote:

Yes I agree. I shouldn’t have said that. Talk about derailing my own thread.

Well, now that you have some reasonable answers to your original question, why not hijack your own thread? Could be interesting.

idea: use the time between postings as a source of chaotic/random triggers to your fav. collection of drones.
jmax313
I bought mine brand new recently for $275... was a crazy black friday deal and there was 2 or 3 in stock.

I have both this amd atlantis for my sound sources. Gravitate more towards atlantis, but also enjoy the dense features on the elements. Plus for the price i got it for it makes it really hard to justify selling. That being said if i run out of space, this could be one of the first modules to go (although rather unlikely).
brandonlogic
honeyb wrote:
It is large, maybe? Free up rack space?

Some people think Rings gets them close enough.

this is why i sold mine.
diller
jmax313 wrote:
I bought mine brand new recently for $275... was a crazy black friday deal and there was 2 or 3 in stock.

I have both this amd atlantis for my sound sources. Gravitate more towards atlantis, but also enjoy the dense features on the elements. Plus for the price i got it for it makes it really hard to justify selling. That being said if i run out of space, this could be one of the first modules to go (although rather unlikely).

It's a lot different than Atlantis though. I guess you are making a note about your preference between modules as apposed to comparing them against each other?

When you put together everything this module is able to do the space is honestly justified. I tried one of the smaller variations and there is a lot lost in the ability to fine tune parameters compared to the MI version. Brilliant module though.
bwhittington
Gringo Starr wrote:
I’ve seen a lot of MI Elements for sale in the BST over the past couple months. More than any other MI module. One was as low as $250.

The $250 one went to my house! w00t Many thanks again to the seller for the nice deal.

It seems like a steal at these kinds of prices, though I can see where people are coming from looking for something smaller. I love it, such pretty sounds, but it does take up nearly a quarter of my case. Happily, there are more cases out there, so I suppose I'll just get another. Definitely a fun module if you like its sound. I'm sure these smaller options that I am unfamiliar with are great, too. Surely they sacrifice a degree of complexity and modulation options. Classic trade-offs.
Orange
Maybe a lot of home made version of Elements for sale?
Like MI Elephants....
jmax313
diller wrote:
jmax313 wrote:

It's a lot different than Atlantis though. I guess you are making a note about your preference between modules as apposed to comparing them against each other?

When you put together everything this module is able to do the space is honestly justified. I tried one of the smaller variations and there is a lot lost in the ability to fine tune parameters compared to the MI version. Brilliant module though.

Exactly, just making a note, sorry to derail. Happy to compare if anyone is interested.

And I agree, would not like to have this smaller. I 'play' this like an instrument when using it.
kesserich
MI sells a ton of units. I'm not exactly sure why. Like most manufacturers, they make some decent stuff and some kinda boring stuff. Despite this many people (i have no data on this but I suspect people newer to eurorack) gravitate towards MI religiously and pre-order everything.

Personally, I would suggest going pure software if you are looking for devices that sounds like rings, clouds, elements, or braids. All of those modules have a definite VST vibe to my ears.
Gringo Starr
kesserich wrote:
Personally, I would suggest going pure software if you are looking for devices that sounds like rings, clouds, elements, or braids. All of those modules have a definite VST vibe to my ears.

Thanks for the advice. That could save me a ton of money. However I’m a hands on hardware kind of person. I know I won’t use software or be inspired by it like I would if I had the modules in front of me and that makes the investment worth it. It’s just how I’m wired.

I think with mutable instruments there’s an instant gratification thing happening. It’s so easy to get a good sound IMO of course. When I’m on my Serge system it takes time before I get something that’s pleasing. 90% of the time I spend on my Serge is wasted. Although that 10% of the time I get it right it’s unbelievable and it sounds better than anything.

bwhittington wrote:
The $250 one went to my house! w00t Many thanks again to the seller for the nice deal.

Congrats!!! Awesome deal indeed! Honestly when I saw it selling for that much is what made me suspicious along with all the other ones at that time I saw selling on the BST. Wishing I had jumped on it. :-)
degeneratedsines
bwhittington wrote:
it does take up nearly a quarter of my case. Happily, there are more cases out there, so I suppose I'll just get another.

Or maybe you can sell it and get a Rings?
I'm out!
Zymos
I love Rings, but it's not really a substitute for Elements.
Hi5
Zymos wrote:
I love Rings, but it's not really a substitute for Elements.

Agreed. Started with Rings, got an Elements (diy build), sold Rings.
I'm sure size and all the non-MI options for a lot of the builds means people can dump the standard ones for a more compact version
TheRosskonian
Elements IS big, but it's worth it's space to me in it's play-ability. I would be hesitant to buy one of the miniature versions as it seems to limit you to type of patches where you don't touch the module much once you get it setup. I have modules that I do this with, but not Elements, I would think I would find the small versions frustrating to tweak with live. Has anyone made the jump care to speak on the play-ability of the smaller versions?
FarmerPhilip
TheRosskonian wrote:
Elements IS big, but it's worth it's space to me in it's play-ability. I would be hesitant to buy one of the miniature versions as it seems to limit you to type of patches where you don't touch the module much once you get it setup. I have modules that I do this with, but not Elements, I would think I would find the small versions frustrating to tweak with live. Has anyone made the jump care to speak on the play-ability of the smaller versions?

I agree completely. I looked at the Micro version: the knobs are just stacked on top of each other. One of the things I love about MI is that the layouts all make sense - to me, at least.

And I agree that there has been an uptick of Elements on eBay as well which thrills me: Deals abound when there are a lot of something being offered. Hello bargain Elements!!!

I'm very agreeable today... I must not be feeling well...
mskala
I want to see a Eurorack Leviticus. "Keep my decrees. Thou shalt not patch output into output."
honeyb
mskala wrote:
I want to see a Eurorack Leviticus. "Keep my decrees. Thou shalt not patch output into output."

Oh, oh!! And do we get to throw rocks at the people who do this???

Or just trust the genies to become displeased and release the blue smoke.
honeyb
kesserich wrote:

While I'm glad MI can make some money, and deeply appreciate him open sourcing everything, ...

Yeah. When the magic is in the software it is going to be hard to beat C-sound. (Note: MI makes many fine pure analog modules also).

But i spend all day staring at computer screens. For me, the joy of synth is to do it all in hardware.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3