Lots of people selling MI Elements... Why?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

license
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by license » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:06 am

lisa wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:57 pm
The power of computer software is darker and seldom mentioned; when you use a computer to make music you have no excuse for not making great sounding, full featured tracks. When you're into Eurorack there is a community that has a tolerance for rather poor sounding jams without any kind of thoughtful arrangement. If the bar for acceptable music is high then anyone can feel discouraged, and vice versa.
I don't feel strongly about Elements (I know, what am I doing in this thread?), but this is a great point. You could infer from this both that there's too much pressure to make polished tracks, and that leaning on the format/limitations can be an excuse to not put in as much effort to make things sound nice. I think both are true.

kesserich
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by kesserich » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:53 pm

lisa wrote:
The power of computer software is darker and seldom mentioned; when you use a computer to make music you have no excuse for not making great sounding, full featured tracks. When you're into Eurorack there is a community that has a tolerance for rather poor sounding jams without any kind of thoughtful arrangement. If the bar for acceptable music is high then anyone can feel discouraged, and vice versa.
This is an interesting point but I would temper it by saying most amateur musicians don't really make full tracks. They probably have a full time job and maybe kids so when they finally have time to sit down by themselves on a sunday to do music, chances are it will just be a jam.

There is such a MASSIVE time difference between writing a song/making a cool little jam and producing a full track. The effort difference is so huge that i don't think it's worth it to most people. Unless, you know, its your career or you really just want to push yourself to make tracks - even though mostly likely few people will actually hear them. You see the same thing with guitarists or non-modular synth people.

I think a lot of professional producers are just musicians that were able to build a brand and monetize it while they were still young enough (ie, free of responsibilities) to be able to devote the necessary time.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by lisa » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:09 pm

kesserich wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:53 pm
This is an interesting point but I would temper it by saying most amateur musicians don't really make full tracks. They probably have a full time job and maybe kids so when they finally have time to sit down by themselves on a sunday to do music, chances are it will just be a jam.
I have a friend that is full amateur but puts 300 hours into a track. He's working, has a family, etc. He just likes to go really deep into his productions. I have another friend that is a professional that finalizes a track in a few days and they all sound great. Another friend wants to be a pop star so he's writing music and has someone else do the production for him. He also has a full time job, btw. I'd say that there are all kinds.

I actually don't know many people that only do jams. Most of the folks that I know that are into electronic music gear make full tracks now and then. I do too, even though the fact that I'm 100% amateur, do hold a job and care for two (soon to be three) kids. I actually find it to be quite easy to carve out some time, most days, for music making.
license wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:06 am
You could infer from this both that there's too much pressure to make polished tracks, and that leaning on the format/limitations can be an excuse to not put in as much effort to make things sound nice. I think both are true.
Yep, I agree. :agree:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

kesserich
Common Wiggler

Post by kesserich » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:24 pm

lisa wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:09 pm
I have a friend that is full amateur but puts 300 hours into a track. He's working, has a family, etc. He just likes to go really deep into his productions. I have another friend that is a professional that finalizes a track in a few days and they all sound great. Another friend wants to be a pop star so he's writing music and has someone else do the production for him. He also has a full time job, btw. I'd say that there are all kinds.

I actually don't know many people that only do jams. Most of the folks that I know that are into electronic music gear make full tracks now and then. I do too, even though the fact that I'm 100% amateur, do hold a job and care for two (soon to be three) kids. I actually find it to be quite easy to carve out some time, most days, for music making.
That's awesome. Can hang out with you guys? :)

A lot of the better musicians I know around these parts are more like jazz musicians than composers. They'll do a jam or play live for 30 minutes and then throw it out. Sometimes they can get some good shit but without any real editing or arrangement i feel like it hits a wall. I'd love to be able to talk shop with other people who are working towards finishing polished tracks.

Orange
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by Orange » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:53 pm

lisa wrote:
Videographics wrote:What I’m interested in is what motivates people who are obviously comfortable with complicated technology and digital devices to completely reject everything a computer or tablet might offer their music.
People will say that they use a computer all day at work so they don't want to be staring on a computer screen when they are making music. They will also tell you this on online forums that they somehow access not using a screen. :hihi:

I think, unfortunately, it's often really about two other aspects: 1. the love of gear and 2. the power of computer software. The love of gear is self-evident; people just like to buy toys. The power of computer software is darker and seldom mentioned; when you use a computer to make music you have no excuse for not making great sounding, full featured tracks. When you're into Eurorack there is a community that has a tolerance for rather poor sounding jams without any kind of thoughtful arrangement. If the bar for acceptable music is high then anyone can feel discouraged, and vice versa.
Thirdly, modular is an exclusive club and people like to be part of something exclusive. That's why you can see tons of complaints every time it's being popularized somehow (by a popular youtuber or a TV show, for instance).
Being comfortable with complicated technology is not a obligation to make full use of its potential when it comes to making tunes with a modularsynth.
Hmmm. Actually, I don’t like staring at a screen after a day at the office. :hihi:
And I really don’t feel the need at all to make ‘full featured’ tracks on a pc all the time, just because it is possible. :guinness:
Nah, I don’t reject the computer.....

I have a modularsynth for the same reason probably as someone who owns (for example) a nice full drum kit.
Maybe the drummer records his/her tunes from time to time on a laptop. Cool! But there is no reason to sell that drum kit because the drum plug-ins on their laptop sound much, much better then their own recorded drum sessions. And does the drummer suck, because (s)he likes to record a drum jam (and post it on you tube) but does not make ‘full featured’ tracks on his/her laptop?

It is a matter of taste but I love simple modularsynth tunes (a lot of found on this forum).
Can’t say that about a lot of ‘full featured’ tracks :zombie:

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 pm

lisa wrote:
People will say that they use a computer all day at work so they don't want to be staring on a computer screen when they are making music. They will also tell you this on online forums that they somehow access not using a screen. :hihi:

I think, unfortunately, it's often really about two other aspects: 1. the love of gear and 2. the power of computer software. The love of gear is self-evident; people just like to buy toys. The power of computer software is darker and seldom mentioned; when you use a computer to make music you have no excuse for not making great sounding, full featured tracks. When you're into Eurorack there is a community that has a tolerance for rather poor sounding jams without any kind of thoughtful arrangement. If the bar for acceptable music is high then anyone can feel discouraged, and vice versa.
Thirdly, modular is an exclusive club and people like to be part of something exclusive. That's why you can see tons of complaints every time it's being popularized somehow (by a popular youtuber or a TV show, for instance).
I think it's probably a bit deeper than this in a lot of cases. Computers are excellent tools for composition, but not the best tools for experimentation. Yes, people ought to be able to make 'great sounding, full featured tracks' with PCs, but you need to have a clear vision of what you're wanting to accomplish in order to do that. Modular synthesizers have an immediacy that inspires creativity and encourages the exploration of every given parameter in a way that computers can't really compete with. I think a lot of people fall into the traps of relying too much on gear; trying to accomplish everything within their modular system, and not really understanding what is happening at a deeper level most of the time. At that point it's just an expensive toy, but a fun one :tu:
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”