MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2019 quad VCA
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 2019 quad VCA
tau_seti
I need a new Quad VCA for my e370. I have a Unify mixer so I don’t need or want any of those capabilities. The Bastl Quattro Figaro seems like a possibility with it’s tight 10hp size. Or the ALM? I want a gain knob for each VCA. Blinds? The Intellijel Quad VCA? Pros, cons? This for sequencer controlled audio.
luketeaford
If you don't mind them all mixed together (or split by hard panning) the verbos scan & pan is a nice option. It's clean on its own, but can be roughed up with audio rate panning or driving the overall level (tiny knobs above the top)

Quattro Figaro looks awesome and I like the demos I've heard. It might be at the top of my short list-- I was considering getting one, but ultimately I decided Optomix + Moddemix = my favorite 4 vcas/mixer in 14hp.
BTG
Veils
Buyakasoundman
I just picked up a Scan & Pan for my E370. Haven’t had a chance to pitch it up yet, but I’m hoping to replace my Intellijel Quad VCA with it. We’ll just have to see if the level VCA closes all the way.
Franktree
I like the Intellijel Quad VCA. Can be a mixer, 4 VCAs, it has a nice boost. And the price is reasonable for all that, I think.
Buyakasoundman
tau_seti I see you just got the Vector sequencer. I just added a Quad Gate Delay to mix up the “strum pattern” of my e370 in chord mode. Might be useful to add a little variation to the Vector’s chord mode out. I’m planning on using my gate delay for chords out of Sinfonion into e370. CV ins give a little micro timing/humanistic element to what would otherwise be static chord pads.
lisa
Hard to beat the Happy Nerding 3xVCA. 2 hp/VCA, cheap, clever layout so it isn’t very cramped.
grape tony
I use the Intellijel with my E370 every day and love it, great pair w00t
starthief
Intellijel or Veils really seem to be the way to go. The layout on Veils seems a bit nicer, if you don't regularly need manual positive bias.

If there was a unified Blinds/Veils with uni/bi switches like Shades, that would win for sure
defalut
https://voicas.audio/vca/-LIlm2VaMao-IQdh6Jjo a pretty cool 8*VCA, in the form of 2 * stereo and 4*monos i think..

However, i have the Nerding 3xVCA myself aswell as others and i really like it. Going to build a Veils later on too. I would go for Intellijel too i think if i got one new.
Blicken Synths
Big fan of Veils over here

One thing I've been meaning to look into, is there a quad vca where you can can send audio into channel 1 and have it cascade to all 4 outputs? Kind of the opposite way that Veils sums all the channels below if you don't have anything plugged into the output
hemeroscopium
Codex Modulex Quad VCA (veils in 8 hp)
cptnal
sad banana Pedant intervention! sad banana

3xVCA is one fewer than quad.

Nothing further to add. I'll go away now. oops
lisa
Yeah, but you want a quad VCA to get a good hp/VCA ratio. 3xVCA has a better ratio than most quad VCAs. w00t
defalut
lisa wrote:
Yeah, but you want a quad VCA to get a good hp/VCA ratio. 3xVCA has a better ratio than most quad VCAs. w00t

Agreed! And it´s a damn nice package with those twin coupled rotary encoders. hyper
tonymasiello
Blicken Synths wrote:
Big fan of Veils over here

One thing I've been meaning to look into, is there a quad vca where you can can send audio into channel 1 and have it cascade to all 4 outputs? Kind of the opposite way that Veils sums all the channels below if you don't have anything plugged into the output

The Intellijel Quad will do this. Both the audio in and the cv in are normalled to the higher channels if there is nothing plugged. So you can have audio into ch 1, and it will be normalled to 2, 3 and 4, each of which can have separate cv. Likewise, cv can be sent into ch 1 and it will be normalled to cv 2, 3 and 4. It will also add output channels that do not have a cable plugged into the output, which allows it to be a four channel mixer if needed.

The Intellijel also has cv attenuators on each channel, separate linear/exponential control knob, a volume/level out, and a 3db boost switch. It is incredibly versatile.
desolationjones
If you don't mind fiddling with finding zero gain on the knobs, Blinds would be my recommendation. Inverting the signal can make a big difference for feedback patching, turning LP filters into HP, etc. And it's a ring mod!
damase
very happy with vermona quadropol here. easy to use as ring mod or as regular vca thanks to the easy to find dead zone in the middle
also using the vcas in promodular miiiix a lot because i like their sound
JohnLRice
I use the BubbleSound Instruments VCA4p in my quad voice setup and I like it a lot! thumbs up It can be pretty cramped when fully patched though, especially when using only right angled patch cables.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bubblesound-instruments-vca4p

cackland
I have Intellijel Quad VCA and 4 of these:
Antumbra Dual VCA (Based of Veils.)
sduck
I seem to remember Paults recommending veils for this - at least he used one for demoing the e370 at knobconnnn
synthpriest
What about the L-1 Quad VCA - Mixer?
MvK
Vermona Quadropol can be a quad VCA, and then some.
Rex Coil 7
tau_seti wrote:
I need a new Quad VCA for my e370. I have a Unify mixer so I don’t need or want any of those capabilities. The Bastl Quattro Figaro seems like a possibility with it’s tight 10hp size. Or the ALM? I want a gain knob for each VCA. Blinds? The Intellijel Quad VCA? Pros, cons? This for sequencer controlled audio.
Doepfer A-135-1. Best $190.00 spent on a quad VCA/Voltage controlled 4ch Mixer that will handle audio rate and/or DC signals. It's also got a gain control on each VCA channel ... so it's got you covered on that front as well.

Per Doepfer:

"remarks:
the first version of the a-135-1 was able to process audio signals only because the signal in/outputs were ac coupled. the first version cannot be used to process slowly varying control voltages! it has been manufactured until about april 2013 and can be identified by the missing single outputs, the 22 hp front panel width and the vca circuits (cem3381 or pa381)

the new version of the a-135-1 is able to process also slowly varying control voltages because the signal in/outputs are dc coupled. it has in addition four single outputs available and can be used as four independent linear vcas. the new version is manufactured since may 2013 and can be identified by the additional four single outputs, the 18 hp front panel width and the vca circuits (ssm2164 or v2164)"

(end quote)

The A-135-1 has some unique options that can be changed by removing/installing jumper links. The manual spells it out more clearly and with fewer words than I can.....

(quoting)

"From January 2014 a revised version 3 of the A-135-1 is shipped. Compared to the previous version 2 of the A-135-1 the inputs and outputs of the new version are normalled and for the sum output it can be chosen between all and selected VCAs:

All signal inputs are normalled, i.e. signal input #1 is normalled to signal input #2 unless a plug is inserted into signal input socket #2, same is valid for the signal inputs 2 > 3 and 3 > 4, each normalling (1>2, 2>3, 3>4) can be interrupted by removing a jumper.

All CV inputs are normalled, i.e. CV input #1 is normalled to CV input #2 unless a plug is inserted into CVl input socket #2, same is valid for the CV inputs 2 > 3 and 3 > 4, each normalling (1>2, 2>3, 3>4) can be interrupted by removing a jumper.

The mode of the sum output can be chosen between "All" and "Selection" by means of a jumper. In "all" mode all four VCAs are mixed together. In "selection" mode a VCA is removed from the sum signal when a plug is inserted into the corresponding single output."

(end quote)

I have four of them. The jumper links were replaced with toggle switches on one of them, I wanted to set one up that way "just cuz".

lionelfischer
The Quad VCA that Paul recommends to use is the L-1 Quad VCA, not the intellijel. the intellijel is sick tho too
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2