MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DSI filters -- Rev2 compared to Prophet 6
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author DSI filters -- Rev2 compared to Prophet 6
Franktree
I have a DSI Rev2 and have been continually thinking about getting a Prophet 6. But having gotten more into modular and having heard a much greater number of filters, I'm realizing that I don't love the Curtis filter in the Rev2. So I'm curious to hear from folks that have or are familiar with both synths: how similar is the (LP) filter in the Prophet 6 compared to the Rev2? Which do you like more? How would you describe the differences, to the extent there are any?
???
Listen to some demos. I've got both. The rev 2 is very brassy, and kinda harsh in some ways, but it's still lovely. The p6 filter is much smoother and reponds better to audio rate modulation (audio mod on rev 2, polymod section on p6). It can get much more crunchy and robot-like. But it's all subjective. I love the p6, but I also love my rev2, and the possibility to stack sound on the rev2 is really nice. Also sound design is much more advanced on the rev2.
Franktree
??? wrote:
Listen to some demos. I've got both. The rev 2 is very brassy, and kinda harsh in some ways, but it's still lovely. The p6 filter is much smoother and reponds better to audio rate modulation (audio mod on rev 2, polymod section on p6). It can get much more crunchy and robot-like. But it's all subjective. I love the p6, but I also love my rev2, and the possibility to stack sound on the rev2 is really nice. Also sound design is much more advanced on the rev2.

No doubt about the Rev2 being more advanced for sound design. I like everything about it, save for the filter, which is by no means bad. I just realized I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the filters I've been using in my modular. I'm interested to hear that the P6 filter is different and different in a way I could find appealing. I appreciate the response.
???
I hear you. You won't get the eurorack filter quality on the p6. I mean I enjoy my eurorack filter much more than the p6 filters. But the p6 filters have a better quality to it than the rev2 curtis filter. On the rev 2, you can try to play with the amp section (less env amt, lower vca gain) and mixer section, lowering the volume of osc 1 when 2 is off or vice versa. I feel that this sometimes make the sound smoother and less prominent in the high frequencies.

You won't get unpredictability, nice random variation and cool saturation on the p6 filters. It's nice, smooth and precise, but it's definitely not full of character (to me) if that is what you were looking for. It gets the job done and sounds good.
khyber
Buy a line level eurorack module and bring the Rev 2's signal into euroland! Run it through any filter you wish, problem solved.

That said, I'm also considering a Rev 2 vs P6 and I constantly find myself ping ponging strongly between the two options. Something tells me I might end up with the Rev 2 first.
Franktree
??? wrote:
You won't get the eurorack filter quality on the p6.

Would you say that's the case for most non-modular synths? And if so, why would you say that is? Is it just that eurorack filters can be more expensive, because people will pay more for them, and putting a filter of that kind of quality in a standard synth would make it too expensive? Something else?
CF3
Franktree wrote:
??? wrote:
You won't get the eurorack filter quality on the p6.

Would you say that's the case for most non-modular synths? And if so, why would you say that is? Is it just that eurorack filters can be more expensive, because people will pay more for them, and putting a filter of that kind of quality in a standard synth would make it too expensive? Something else?

There's plenty of filters that are "modular quality" in synths. Half of (or more) the filters in eurorack are based on existing designs from vintage synths. The problem with the REV2 filter is more about DSI than anything else. Never been a big fan of DSI filters (and especially the resonance) honestly. The filter in the new OB-6 is glorious... but then again, its not a Dave Smith design, it's Tom Oberheim's. The filter carts from Abstrakt Instruments are some of the best I've heard, modular or otherwise.
???
CF3 wrote:

There's plenty of filters that are "modular quality" in synths. Half of (or more) the filters in eurorack are based on existing designs from vintage synths. The problem with the REV2 filter is more about DSI than anything else.

I second that. I've also got a OB6 too and I agree the filter is glorious! Oberheim Sems are even better. Those awesome filter are often on monosynths though...
chipaudette
On the Prophet 6, you gotta turn up the resonance to about 10 o'clock before the filter gets any character. In fact, I usually have it set to nearly noon. This applies to anything except single-oscillator bass sounds. Leads, chords, strings, pads...you gotta get the resonance up!

Once I learned that I really started to love my Prophet 6.

(Interestingly, this is the opposite of my OB6, where I usually find that I have to keep the resonance at zero or it sounds too nasally. Or on Mono/Poly, where it really likes being parked at about 9 o'clock. Every synth is different!)

So, yeah, turn up the resonance on the Pr6, even for sounds that you don't generally need resonance for, and maybe you'll like it better!

Chip
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1