MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Balanced Patchbays, DI Boxes, Ground Lift, Oh My!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Balanced Patchbays, DI Boxes, Ground Lift, Oh My!
slentthndr
If I run a 10 ft unbalanced cable from my synth to my balanced patchbay (ART 48 point TRS), then a 10 foot balanced cable from the patchbay to the balanced input on my mixer (clarett 8pre), does this count in total as a 20 foot unbalanced connection or does the mixer maintain that 10 ft balanced connection with the patchbay even when the ultimate input source is unbalanced?

What I'm wondering is.. can I use the the patchbay as a sort of a makeshift DI box by mounting it next to my unbalanced synths so those unbalanced cable distances are short (thus minimizing noise/interference)? Or would I still need a DI box / ground lift solution?
col
The patchbay will not act as a "balanced receiver" it has no transformers or circuitry to handle it. For a better understanding of balanced connections have a read of this article:

http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/balanced/balanced.htm
goldplate
20 foot... it's quite very few.

I recently tried to run an unbalanced connection accross at least like 8 cables of a 3m multicore thanks to the normalizing feature of my patchbay (so more than 24 meters ) into my Mackie 1640 and it sounded still very good nor more noisy at all.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1