MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Multibus: a DIY 104hp 1U signal distribution module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Multibus: a DIY 104hp 1U signal distribution module
sirjpink
Hey gang,

Just made a topic to share something simple I've been working on for my personal system: the Multibus. I started with a Make Noise CV-bus clone, but ended up with this: a bus of linked multiples (that can also be used individually). And since there aren't many of these bus modules to be had without a case attached, I thought I'd share.

Here's a mockup I did for modulargrid, but note that the actual panel and boards are specced to the Intellijel 1U standard, so they are a little narrower:

Direct link to schematics pdf

Each multiple can be used on it's own with a flick of a switch and the busses themselves have input gain control from 0 to 1. This way you can combine triggers without gain loss, but also audio signals without clipping. The gain does not affect solo-ed multiples.

For those of you who are interested, I've uploaded the source files here to my github repo here: https://github.com/coriolisinstruments/EurorackModules/tree/master/Mul tibus

Note that it has SOIC-14 and 0805 SMD devices, as I've made this module to learn myself SMD soldering.

This is my first public module (I am no electrical engineer; though I did have some training at the academy back in the day), so if anyone has feedback on the schematics, layout, graphics or any other areas that could be improved, I'd love to hear.

Thank you for your time! Mr. Green
joem
Looks pretty handy. Have you built one yet?
sirjpink
I'm gathering all things that I need; and getting a new found respect for module developers and the amount of work they have to put in to create a module in the process!

While I am not totally happy with the current panel design (it doesn't feel intuitive enough to me; a little cluttered), if there's are no major feedback I will probably start building at the end of the month (a week or two) depending on how long the components and boards take to ship.
BARD
Hi sirjpink,
That's some good looking CV bus! razz
Still need to figure out how bus routing exactly work.

I had a look on schematics - you have output of op-amp bridged to inverting input node:

Have you considered splitting it into separate submodules connected together with some sort of common ribbon cable? I think it would be more flexible and closer to modular approach. Just a thought, I guess that would be little too much for such project..
sirjpink
BARD wrote:
Hi sirjpink,
That's some good looking CV bus! razz
Still need to figure out how bus routing exactly work.

I had a look on schematics - you have output of op-amp bridged to inverting input node:

Whoops eek! Good catch!

Quote:

Have you considered splitting it into separate submodules connected together with some sort of common ribbon cable? I think it would be more flexible and closer to modular approach. Just a thought, I guess that would be little too much for such project..

Actually, I have thought about it. Like being able to put two mults on the left of the case and two on the right linked to eachother.

Ideally, you should be able to make your own combination of linked multiples, but you'd lose the attenuators for the bus input that way I think, making it less suitable for mixing of audio signals.

hmmm.....
cackland
Following this project? Any progress update?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1