MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Multimode Filter/ DJ Filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Multimode Filter/ DJ Filter
dr.earlfunkton
Hey yall! First thread here, yay!

So I've been on the hunt for the perfect filter for my live set up and i'm not sure which direction I should go in.

I'll preface with saying I'm looking for that classic French House Low-Pass/Hi-Pass sweepable filter for samples or drums. i.e. Daft Punk, Etienne De Crecy. I'm currently running my MPC2000XL, Kaossilator Pro, and minilogue through a Peavey PV10 mixer. The effects on the Peavey are good enough for my purposes but messing with the EQ knobs doesnt quite have the same effect as a juicy resonant low pass filter.

Side Note: I may upgrade my mixer in the future for something that has an aux send/return to make hooking up outboard stuff easier, but that's for another thread.

The filters I've seen so far and have been interested in are:

Waldorf 2-Pole Filter, seems super simple and has all the things i'd need with a few extra treats that may be fun (CV and LFO)
-This might be the closest to what DP used, iirc they had a Waldorf miniworks 4-pole. Not the worst thing, but it is a mono unit.

Analog Solutions Mr. Hyde, I like that this unit has a big ol' knob for the filter and a switch for filter type, although the 1/8" in/out isn't preferred.

Electrix Filter Queen, 3 filter types with a follower and LFO. The small package is very appealing to me though I've read this unit can sound somewhat thin and be fairly intermittent in functioning.

Akai MFC42, All the functions I need with some distortion and it sports the Akai badge (I'm a bit of a brand ho) but the price point these days are a bit above my budget.

If Possible I'd like to stay within the standalone realm, but there have been some modules that have peaked my interest and if I went this route, I'd build a small box to house the units. The Tiptop Audio forbidden planet and Doepfer A-106-1 Extreme Filter both seem to have the functions I need, but appear to be Mono. If I were to get a pair of either unit, would I be able to jumper the CV for knobs to control both "channels" at once?

My soldering and schematic comprehension skills are intermediate so a kit or schematic direction wouldn't be out of the question.

Sorry for the longwinded and loaded post, but I've been googling like crazy and am not sure what to try out. Any input on what y'all have experience with would be greatly appreciated as well as any more units or kits to check out!
blakeq
Also consider synths with an external input if the size works for you.
Zenn
Check the Rodec/Sherman Restyler. Kick ass and very well sounding multimode filter with (bandpassed, so cool) envelope follower that's routable to mix or frequency.

Also you might consider a dj mixer with filters like in the A&H Xone series

and yeah... a MS20
seeasound
Ive used that akai filter and think it sounds awesome...it packs a lot of fun features.

Ive got a sherman restyler myself that is a great studio tool really dig. I dont play live yet but it would be fun and more interesting then simple filter cutoff play...altho requires way more care/practice and subtlety
snercle
I think I would go for a 24db analog filter for DP type sounds, just be careful it's not one of those filters with too much of a whiny resonance.
Something that sounds like a roland SH / Juno filter might work.
Technologear?
Consider investigating dj isolators, that can sit across your master out. There's a few threads on them. They suit that style of music, and could be used in conjunction with a lpass bpass hpass filter on just specific parts of your mix. And consider the upgrade to a desk with auxes, which is what I'm into at moment, 4 fx chains setup on 4auxes - super deep and fun.

Waldorf 2pole is great and versatile but needs setting up before your in the heat of a mix. Is not as simple as a 2knob filter like on an allen heath mixer. But easy to learn and understand. Grab one if you find one cheap.

Don't bother with the jomox t-res, that's too freaky for your purposes.

Little synths with External In routed through their filter was a good suggestion too.
DiscoDevil
Vermona makes a great 2 channel filter.

https://www.vermona.com/en/products/effects/product/action-filter-4/
DiscoDevil
Technologear? wrote:
Consider investigating dj isolators, that can sit across your master out.

I use a Bozure ISO desktop isolator across the master inserts on my mixer when I'm playing live.
soup
My favorite filter for running samples through is the bugbrand crossover filter, it's magical all the sounds you can get out of it and it's very nice for live use as it feels/plays like instrument.

In the diy realm I recently built j3rk's buchla 291 bandpass filter in a guitar pedal enclosure (hint: theres room in the muck for a small power supply) which runs at line level for audio since it's buchla and it's fabulous for running samples through. Maybe a little less flexible than some of the other options but sonically it kicks butt. thumbs up
depth20
An isolator and a filter isn't the same thing. You can't do filter sweeps with an isolator.
DiscoDevil
depth20 wrote:
An isolator and a filter isn't the same thing. You can't do filter sweeps with an isolator.

They're not that far apart really. You can do some similar sound sculpting with each.
mateo
I use a Filter Queen I picked up many years ago, it works quite well. Not the best sounding filter (and only 2 poles in stereo) the rest of the features make up for it: the envelope follow is especially useful for that french house sound. I've seen some other units that have been in bad shape though, so be careful if you're buying units over the internet.

If you're going modular, I'd recommend the WMD overseer, you get simultaneous highpass and lowpass in stereo. Pair that with a maths for LFO/envelope follower duties and you're in business.

depth20 wrote:

You can if the crossover frequencies are controllable, which was a feature I used a lot on the old Electrix ones.
dr.earlfunkton
soup wrote:
My favorite filter for running samples through is the bugbrand crossover filter, it's magical all the sounds you can get out of it and it's very nice for live use as it feels/plays like instrument.

Oooo I just checked that piece out, it looks like the best thing yet! Only problem is they seem to be sold out atm :( They don't look cheap on the 2nd hand market either.
IR
The Analogue Solutions and Waldorf filters you mentioned are also mono.
soup
dr.earlfunkton wrote:
soup wrote:

Oooo I just checked that piece out, it looks like the best thing yet! Only problem is they seem to be sold out atm :( They don't look cheap on the 2nd hand market either.

To get bugbrand stuff you have to get on the mailing list. Tom sends out a mail when there are ones available otherwise the store is empty.
MindMachine
If you are lucky you might find a Frostwave Resonator for a decent price. It is a little stand alone unit based on the MS-20 filters.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/frostwaveresonator.php
CursedFrogurt
I think pretty much any standalone filter will work for you, as long as you jerk your hands away from the knobs after you turn them.
dr.earlfunkton
CursedFrogurt wrote:
I think pretty much any standalone filter will work for you, as long as you jerk your hands away from the knobs after you turn them.

But will it only work if I only hold one headphone cup to my ear instead of wearing them regularly?
hihi
Sleipnir
Disting with the new DJ Filter:

nanners
BugBrand
soup wrote:
dr.earlfunkton wrote:
soup wrote:

To get bugbrand stuff you have to get on the mailing list. Tom sends out a mail when there are ones available otherwise the store is empty.

I'm slowly working on a revision of the design - it will look the same from the front, but have quite a lot of internal changes. Timeline - hard to say exactly - could well be 3-6 months. Hopefully adding enough new expander CV control that a pair of them could be more easily combined for stereo usage but haven't tried such tests yet - the original is mono of course.
minimalist
I'll second that the BugBrand PEQ is a lovely thing.

In euro I suggest looking at the WMD Overseer as a DJ style filter. There are some good YouTube videos. Stereo too!
boxxgrooved
Vermona make really good quality DJ filters

I believe you can still buy this new

If you don't lile rack mount the Cross filter is a good choice but harder to source

gentle_attack
dr.earlfunkton wrote:
CursedFrogurt wrote:

But will it only work if I only hold one headphone cup to my ear instead of wearing them regularly?
hihi
in that case you should have been required to swear your loyalty and to only use massively overpriced // underfeatured Pioneer CDJ gear, in which case you would be forbidden from using Akai or Electrix or any other brand.
dr.earlfunkton
Does anybody have any experience using an SP-404 or 303 for its effects? I know they are popular in the hip-hop crowd (dat vinyl sim) but I've never had the chance to mess around with one. In the $300 to $400 range it seems like a pretty cool effects box that goes a bit beyond the filters in this thread. The only thing im not sure of is if i'd be compromising sound quality for more features.
boxxgrooved
I had an 404sx once and while it does have one or 2 decent DJ style fx it cannot compete with a Korg KP3 if that is the thing you are looking to achieve.

A touch pad in a dj setup is priceless,l. Being able to bring down a lowpass filter instantly without sweeping beats knobby devices any day. Of course you can still sweep if you want to. Add to that all the extra looping fx on the kp3, 8 configurable program slots and you have serious dj fx weapon.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2