MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

$2550 and a Moog Mother 32 - What would you do?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author $2550 and a Moog Mother 32 - What would you do?
odonamon
I am about to dive in but need some help so I don't piss away my hard earned cash.

I have a Mother 32 and $2550.

I want to play both simple sequencer beats with a melody ( Solar Fields style stuff ) as well as straight up stoney droney ambient experimental stuff.

I have no case, just a Mother 32 and $2550.

What would you do?

Also: What are some hard won lessons you have learned that you would have wanted to know when you were just a wee Wiggler?
BenA718
I found that it really helps to have a plan and then enact it over long, medium, and short range. Otherwise you will be chasing modules with no end game and could end up with a hodge podge that won't do quite what you want.

I would also advise getting the system in stages, learn how the pieces fit, and then adjust your overall plan to fit.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and get the biggest case you can afford right up front!
Joe.
BenA718 wrote:

Yah, Doepfer LC9 for sure.

As far as melodies go? A quantizer. A lesson most people learn the hard way is if you have a quantizer you MUST buy an offset and atteneutor to get the most out of it, to dial in the range of notes played.

The only other tip i could give is don't overlook Doepfer!
monads
Score an Endorphin.es shuttle system and call it a day??? That and your Mother32 will keep you busy for awhile. I'd go this route if starting from scratch since it's easier to get started and sell if you decide to jump ship. The shuttle system is a pretty nice piece of gear too!
shred
odonamon wrote:

Also: What are some hard won lessons you have learned that you would have wanted to know when you were just a wee Wiggler?

what I wanted in the beginning is not what I want now.

go really slowly. resist the urge to pick up everything at once. don't settle for a cheap power supply.
odonamon
So what I think I’m going to do based off of this and some research is go with the following:

Mother 32 - already own

Pittsburgh Modular EP-420 case
Trigger Riot - Used
TipTop One Sample Player
MI Marbles
SimpleDrum SD1
Ai001
Ai002
Ai003
Ai004. ( AI kits are DIY projects )

A lot of blanks.

What I hear is

- GO SLOW
- Get a BIG case
- Have a Plan
And
- Quantitizers!!!!

Thanks!

This site is amazing
Rex Coil 7
odonamon wrote:
What I hear is

- GO SLOW
- Get a BIG case
- Have a Plan
And
- Quantitizers!!!!

Thanks!
And get serious about a power system. Avoid the temptation to buy some power supply that was never ever designed to be used with a modular synthesizer (Meanwell).

*** Estimate how many modules you think you'll obtain over the next few years.
*** DOUBLE that number.
*** Design a power system to power that doubled module power requirement. By "power system" I mean power supply, the power cables that connect the modules to the power system, and the "distribution system" that gets power from the power supply to the module power cables.

After you figure out what your power system is going to be made of, then figure out how much of a cabinet it will take to install the power system. NOT the other way around (don't buy a cabinet then figure out how to shoehorn some type of power system into it).

If you've got $2500 to start with, devote at least $500 of it to the power system. I'm serious.

Probably one of the most (if not the most) common problems discussed within the Miffwugglers membership has to do with power problems. Don't cheat yourself.

** Go Slow.
** Go BIG on a power system (avoid switching power supplies).
** Be willing to spend 20% of your budget on power.
** Start with basic modules.
** Ask lots of questions (better to embarrass yourself than to make a costly mistake).
** Go slow.
** Ask lots of questions (better to embarrass yourself than to make a costly mistake).
** Go Slow.
** Go slow.

thumbs up
witchbutter
In hindsight I think I would not force myself to spend 2550, especially if I wasn't sure what I wanted to create. If what you want to do is beats and ambient, and you don't want to use a computer, I think I might actually look at an Octatrack which you can play the Mother with and sample it to create a library of your own sounds in a playable format. Hold on to the cash until you know what you are missing.
kinkycables
ES-8, VCVrack, and a Uzeus. Take the time to experiment and get a better idea of what you want, rather than just falling down the rabbit hole.
artieTwelve
kinkycables wrote:
ES-8, VCVrack

This. In Sailing circles, it's called "buying your second boat first". You can get a great idea for what you want with and ES-8 and VCVrack.
ocd synthnerd
http://www.gotharman.dk/LD3.htm
shredsickgnar
Mother32 + $2550... hmm

I'd go for a 6u(or 7u) x 104 case.

So you'll have $2000 left after that.

Spring reverb and tank for sure.

Maths.

Another Analog VCO.

Random Source.

Quad VCA.

After that you'll probably have ~$1000 left You should play that for a while(months) and learn what you can do with it and what else you want. The go from there.

After that I'd get some a fun sequencer, complex VCO or wave shaper, delay, or panning output module or whatever else interests you.

Also, the Endorphin.es Shuttle System isn't a bad idea either. Especially if you're planning on sequencing from a DAW or have a decent hardware sequencer. Shuttle Control give you sooooo much flexibility and the rest of the system is full of some of the best/most flexible modules in eurorack. Get it in black and it will match your Mother 32
monads
shredsickgnar wrote:
......Also, the Endorphin.es Shuttle System isn't a bad idea either. Especially if you're planning on sequencing from a DAW or have a decent hardware sequencer. Shuttle Control give you sooooo much flexibility and the rest of the system is full of some of the best/most flexible modules in eurorack. Get it in black and it will match your Mother 32

That's what I'm suggesting. Go with a Shuttle System for now!
Randy
Just to put some perspective on the power-related comments from Rex. There is nothing wrong with switching power supplies or Meanwell power supplies in general. Lots of people, myself included, have been using them for many years. Issues generally come from improper wiring more than from the actual power supply.
odonamon
So I am thinking of maybe going this way to begin, so many choices...

Mantis case
MI Plaits
MI Stages
MI Marbles
and a way to get sound out.

I really want to stay away from a computer and just noodle on a small setup in bed to just jam and get familiar with the thing before I get an ep-420 and invest the space in my room.

I know this goes against some of the advice I have received above but I feel having this be conveniently playable would be best to begin with.

What say you, Master Muffers?
UltraViolet
Your earlier choice of a Pittsburgh EP-420 was a good option. Lots of room to grow and plenty of power (much more than many other cases). I bought one for those reasons. You may out grow the Mantis pretty quickly if you mount the Mother 32 in it.
odonamon
UltraViolet wrote:
Your earlier choice of a Pittsburgh EP-420 was a good option. Lots of room to grow and plenty of power (much more than many other cases). I bought one for those reasons. You may out grow the Mantis pretty quickly if you mount the Mother 32 in it.

Great feedback. This is what I was wondering.

Thanks
Gaetan
May I suggest a pre-set system ? With that money available upfront that's what I would do. The Endorphin.es has been mentioned. You could also get a Doepfer (https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/doepfer-a-100-bs1-lc9-psu3.html), or a Pittsburgh (https://www.thomann.de/intl/pittsburgh_modular_lifeforms_foundation_4 .htm).
The good thing with that is that you don't get lost in module picking and you have a complete, coherent system right away, with room to spare for future modules once you get a hang of it.
jorg
Joe. wrote:
BenA718 wrote:

Yah, Doepfer LC9 for sure.

As far as melodies go? A quantizer. A lesson most people learn the hard way is if you have a quantizer you MUST buy an offset and atteneutor to get the most out of it, to dial in the range of notes played.

The only other tip i could give is don't overlook Doepfer!

Yes to all of that!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1