MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

+4dB or -10dB input setting and cables for a pedal / mixer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author +4dB or -10dB input setting and cables for a pedal / mixer?
tyebillion
Hello

I have a Nux Atlantic pedal and I want to plug it into the FX send and return on my Behringer XENYX 802 Mixer. The pedal has a switch for its input level which can either be +4dB or -10dB. Which setting should I use and should I use a TR or TRS cable?

There's left and right return on the desk, so I think that should be connected with two TR cables or a Y cable?

Also, should I use the same setting if I plugged my Moog Mother 32 directly into the pedal?

[The mixer has a single send jack and left and right return jacks. The pedal has a single input jack and left / stereo and right outputs.]

hmmm.....

Update
I used 3 TR cables and set the switch to +4dB... all seems to work OK.

It's peanut butter jelly time!
charlestobias
I have a book (Recording and Producing in the Home Studio: A Complete Guide) that I think explains +4 and -10 pretty well, so I'm just going to quote it.

Quote:
[+4dBm and -10dBV] are two different line-level strengths that affect the compatibility of your studio equipment. Most professional gear is +4 dBm and most home recording gear is -10dBV. There should be no notiveable difference in sound between a piece of gear operating at +4 or -10. However, it's a really good idea to maintain the compatibility of these line levels throughout your studio because +4 gear plays nice with other +4 gear and -10 gear works best with other -10 gear.

So essentially it shouldn't matter. Looking through the Xenyx manual, it looks like the 1002 and 1202 have a selector for -10 and +4 but the 802 doesn't which would lead me to believe that your mixer is running -10.

At -10 the input is more sensitive and requires less level to drive it than at +4. So basically if you're using +4 and everything sounds good then you're good. However if you're running +4 and feel like you're having to crank the gain to get a good level out of it then you should try -10. Either way, you're not going to be hurting your gear.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1