MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Things to ponder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Things to ponder
Pelsea
All of these questions have answers, but still.....
Why do we label CV jacks “V/octave” when the response is actually one octave per volt?
Why do we label the curvy waveform “sine” when (relative to the other waveforms) it is a cosine?
Why do we mark the negative power (on euro) with a red stripe when in practically every other electronic product red indicates positive power?

What do you find ponderable?
mskala
I use red/green LEDs for voltage polarity, with red=positive and green=negative. I've had people tell me that that's backwards and I'm not sure what to say in response.
Grumble
Why is transportation by ship called cargo and by car called shipment? seriously, i just don't get it
Rex Coil 7
How long is a rope?
MindMachine
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
How long is a rope?


About an inch short.
pines
Quote:
How long is a rope?


Twice as long as half of it.
Dcramer
I’ve always pondered the red = neg thing, hmmm.....
racooniac
mskala wrote:
I use red/green LEDs for voltage polarity, with red=positive and green=negative. I've had people tell me that that's backwards and I'm not sure what to say in response.


even better when the module right next to it is using a blue/green led where green is positive ...
Shledge
I think it's to draw parallels with the traffic light system where red = stop and green = go.
sduck
mskala wrote:
I use red/green LEDs for voltage polarity, with red=positive and green=negative.


that's backwards
mskala
sduck wrote:
mskala wrote:
I use red/green LEDs for voltage polarity, with red=positive and green=negative.


that's backwards


I'm not sure what to say.
MarcelP
mskala wrote:
sduck wrote:
mskala wrote:
I use red/green LEDs for voltage polarity, with red=positive and green=negative.


that's backwards


I'm not sure what to say.


Red=port, green=starboard
Red=2, green=5
Red=anger, green=jealousy
Red=stop, green=go

make of it what you will.
pugix
Pelsea wrote:

Why do we mark the negative power (on euro) with a red stripe when in practically every other electronic product red indicates positive power?


The Doepfer manual says, "farbig markierte Ader des Flachbandkabels", i.e. the colored wire of the ribbon cable marks -12V.

The red stripe is how IDC cable is made, and indicates Pin 1, regardless of application. Doepfer decided to make Pin 1 be -12V. (But why not +12V?)
pugix
sduck wrote:
mskala wrote:
I use red/green LEDs for voltage polarity, with red=positive and green=negative.


that's backwards


Correct! I tended to use Green for positive voltages in MOTM, because that's what a number of DIY projects did.

It's all over the map in Eurorack.
kcd06
Quote:
hy do we label the curvy waveform “sine” when (relative to the other waveforms) it is a cosine?


Because a cosine wave is a sine wave shifted 90degrees. 90=30+30+30; Illuminati confirmed! Dead Banana
MapacheRaper
Cause flat earth It's peanut butter jelly time!

My leds flash in red for positive and black for negative
electricanada
Why is it a penny for your thoughts but you have to put your two cents in? Somebody’s making a penny.
UltraViolet
Why do guitar players call it tremolo when it is really vibrato?
gonkulator
pugix wrote:
Pelsea wrote:

Why do we mark the negative power (on euro) with a red stripe when in practically every other electronic product red indicates positive power?


The Doepfer manual says, "farbig markierte Ader des Flachbandkabels", i.e. the colored wire of the ribbon cable marks -12V.

The red stripe is how IDC cable is made, and indicates Pin 1, regardless of application. Doepfer decided to make Pin 1 be -12V. (But why not +12V?)


I bought slightly thicker ribbon cable for diy, and it has a blue stripe. So, given that it only has to be "colored'" I guess I can stop coloring over the blue stripe with red. lol I crack myself up.
luchog
Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
mskala
Why are the stars always winking, and blinking above?
MarcelP
luchog wrote:
Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?


More to the point: why do stars fall down from the sky every time you walk by?
jorg
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
starthief
Why is the world in love again?
Why are we marching hand in hand?
Why are the ocean levels rising up?

It's a brand new record for 1990
They Might Be Giants' brand new album
Flood!
stickman
Pelsea wrote:
All of these questions have answers, but still.....
Why do we label CV jacks “V/octave” when the response is actually one octave per volt?

What do you find ponderable?


Because y = kx + c and k is 1, it's equally true to say octave per volt and volt per octave.

If k = 1.2 then ofc ymmv grin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group