MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Furman rack mount power strip with slide-out lights
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Furman rack mount power strip with slide-out lights
Digital Larry
This might be my oldest surviving piece of gear, or "bit of kit".

The lights in this thing are probably < 10 watts incandescent, I think of them as old-school Christmas lights. Well with my failing eyesight this is about as good as lighting a match to see my rack.

I looked on Amazon and found some LED bulbs with an E12 "candelabra base" which look good. They are 8 W and equivalent to 75 - 100 W incandescent. The only issue is that they are about an inch longer than they need to be to fit into the tube and let me screw the end cap back on.

I was thinking I could just put some foil over them and that would be that, it's not like they get super hot or anything.

I also got a magnetic base LED work light which I expect will adhere to my metal shelf which sits right next to everything.

What other things do people use for bright rack illumination?
rickymatz
I have some site to recommend, I bought from them a slide-out lights also now I feel comfortable and safe on driving, If you are interested just let me know
Digital Larry
I got the LED E12-base bulbs which are about 3/4" too long so I can't put the original metal caps back on the slide out tubes. But I glued the plastic caps to a couple medicine bottles to the flat ends of the LED bulbs and it works fine if a bit on the low rent funky side.

This thing is not going on the road and I leave the light tubes extended all the time so it's not a big deal.

Turned all the way down, the LEDs are as bright as the old incandescent bulb was turned all the way up. There's no dimmer action in the first half then it goes up and WOW are they bright! It was a fairly clever solution.
solipsvs
theres gooseneck usb lights on ebay and usb bases that you can stick anywhere, then all you need is a multi-port usb charger. works great for me!
Digital Larry
solipsvs wrote:
theres gooseneck usb lights on ebay and usb bases that you can stick anywhere, then all you need is a multi-port usb charger. works great for me!

Thanks, I got one of those too, it's even better. Brighter than heck and can easily move around.
solipsvs
heres an idea of whats for sale at ebay and other places

https://youtu.be/e_O6q3eoALs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1