MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Controlling a sample with Rene 2 from Morphagene?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Controlling a sample with Rene 2 from Morphagene?
rublev
I just got the Make Noise Shared System after messing with some hard synths before and selling them. I've been mainly using it for effects so far, but I want to try to get a sampling setup going.

Having a lot of fun with the Morphagene, and was wondering if it's possible to trigger different pitches of a sample with pressure points, and sequencing genes using the Rene.

Right now If I patch tempi ch2 -> mg clk I can step through genes if morph and gene are around the 12pm positions, but I'm wondering how to get the rene and pressure points connected along with tempi and rene.

I'd like to jam through the sample using pressure points to control pitch of a particular gene then later make some arrangements with the rene, do I have that right?

Been messing with this for a couple days now, and I'm understanding things better and better as I read the manuals in tandem but I finally caved because I'm pretty lost on how to get this sampling setup going at this point lol.

whatevenisthispleasesendhelp
shredsickgnar
I think you want Rene's CV out into Morphagene's organize input to control what sample(gene) is playing.

Then Pressure points to Verispeed to control the pitch of the gene.

Tempi clocks rene, and Morphagene.
gentle_attack
shredsickgnar wrote:
I think you want Rene's CV out into Morphagene's organize input to control what sample(gene) is playing.

I do not have Morphagene, but Phonogene is pretty finicky if you are trying to do 1v/oct "playing" of the sample. You can certainly play/control the playback speed, and therefore the pitch, with Vari-speed, but this is nothing like using an MPC or precise pitchshifting sampler.

I am a phonogene amateur so someone may correct this and say I'm doing it wrong, but IME, it was better for rhythmic or weird stuff, not precision melodic stuff, at least not if you're trying to sitck with 12 note western stuff.
ggillon
gentle_attack wrote:
shredsickgnar wrote:

I do not have Morphagene, but Phonogene is pretty finicky if you are trying to do 1v/oct "playing" of the sample. You can certainly play/control the playback speed, and therefore the pitch, with Vari-speed, but this is nothing like using an MPC or precise pitchshifting sampler.

I am a phonogene amateur so someone may correct this and say I'm doing it wrong, but IME, it was better for rhythmic or weird stuff, not precision melodic stuff, at least not if you're trying to sitck with 12 note western stuff.

The latest firmware of morphagene includes an option file with, among others, 1v/oct tracking of varispeed.

OP don't take this personally but make noise modules aren't intuitive at first and that is why you are lost trying to do simple stuff.

My recommendation to you is to read the manuals again and again and do the patch they show, and watch the makenoise videos for rene2 and morphagene and pressure point because they are extremely well done and informative. Rather than trying straight to turn your shared system into a MPC live try to understand all the functions of your modules.

I prefer to show you how to fish yourself rather than giving you fish you ask because otherwise you'll miss a ton of important info about your system.

It's a great system but don't even expect to know it before spending a year with it minimum.
ggillon
And yes all the things you asked ate possible but what would be the point of telling you how to patch it if you don't know how it would work?

Half of the fun of modular is learning and the other half is trying stuff and getting unexpected results

Everything you asked concerns the most basic functions of these modules so you don't even need to learn a lot. What you do seem to lack is understanding of the basics of signal processing for modulars and you are in luck because the shared system manual covers this extremely well.

Once you understand this all you need to do is to look into each manual to find the ins and out controlling the parameters you want to change like pitch or sample selection or sample trigger.

But as others said it above, Make Noise modules are more for experimental stuff than standard synths. Morphagene isn't a good sampler, workflow wise. It's more of a texture synthesizer and this is where it shines alongside experimental percussions. You will find more joy exploring your system fir its strengths than trying to make a 5k modular into a sample player. Get a volca sample instead
rublev
ggillon wrote:

The latest firmware of morphagene includes an option file with, among others, 1v/oct tracking of varispeed.

Thanks for the varispeed tip SlayerBadger!

ggillon wrote:

You will find more joy exploring your system fir its strengths than trying to make a 5k modular into a sample player.

I've got about 200k of other synths sitting in the other room that I haven't even begun to read the manual for. Might turn them all into drum machines. Finally managed to get my CS-80 to sound like a clarinet! Try not to get an aneurysm lol
ggillon
rublev wrote:

I've got about 200k of other synths sitting in the other room that I haven't even begun to read the manual for. Might turn them all into drum machines. Finally managed to get my CS-80 to sound like a clarinet! Try not to get an aneurysm lol

Dude I'm not, trying to be condescending but in your picture you patched the cv out of rené into the cv out of morphagene so I'm just saying if you don't want to damage your modules maybe consider you need to read a bit more about the basics
rublev
ggillon wrote:
rublev wrote:

Dude I'm not, trying to be condescending but in your picture you patched the cv out of rené into the cv out of morphagene so I'm just saying if you don't want to damage your modules maybe consider you need to read a bit more about the basics

Yeah fair enough lol it's a bit of a mind melt, got any good resources on sound synthesis?
ggillon
rublev wrote:
ggillon wrote:
rublev wrote:

Yeah fair enough lol it's a bit of a mind melt, got any good resources on sound synthesis?

You are in luck because everything by make noise is among the best manuals you could find out there. Everything is explained in a beginner-friendly way. The shared system manual is a good place to start for signal processing. Their youtube channel is also filled with tons of video covering every question you could have.

René (especially mk2) is probably the most complex and deep module of the lot and it took me weeks to master it. Tempi is easy as long as you stick to simple operations.

Morphagene you could learn the basics just by turning every knob and listening to the result but there are also a lot of shortcuts that are impossible to remember without a cheat sheet (same with rené too actually).

You definitely picked the 2 most complex modules to start with but they are also the most fun, I can't really tell you there's a shortcut to learn them. Usually I can read a manual once quickly and then it's enough to know how to get something out of a synth or a module but make noise modules just aren't like that, you will have to spend more time to get to know them.

That said it's a fantastic system and you will have tons of fun with it
rublev
ggillon wrote:
You are in luck because everything by make noise is among the best manuals you could find out there. Everything is explained in a beginner-friendly way. The shared system manual is a good place to start for signal processing. Their youtube channel is also filled with tons of video covering every question you could have.

I've gone through a few of the tutorials but agree I should go through the shared manual a few times more, been using the videos too.

ggillon wrote:
René (especially mk2) is probably the most complex module of the lot and it took me weeks to tame it. Tempi is easy as long as you stick to simple operations.

Morphagene you could learn the basics just by turning every knob and listening to the result but there are also a lot of shortcuts that are impossible to remember without a cheat sheet (same with rené too actually).

You definitely picked the 2 most complex modules to start with but they are also the most fun, I can't really tell you there's a shortcut to learn them. Usually I can read a manual once quickly and then it's enough to know how to get something out of a synth or a module but make noise modules just aren't like that, you will have to spend more time to get to know them.

That said it's a fantastic system and you will have tons of fun with it

I tried starting with the DPO and optomix/moddemix combo but I think I'm still a ways away from that. I've had good success with the erbe verb and echophon right off the bat, read the manuals too and can use them just fine now. Then I read someone suggest starting with the morphagene which was good advice, I know enough to be dangerous with it and thought it'd be interesting to try to manipulate the sample using pressure points, then use rene to sequence because it's just annoying spinning the knobs, wanted to try some programming. That's where the whole 'sampler' logic came from.

Tempi was definitely the easiest to get down. I think I'm just still confused about gates and CV and all this voltage shit.

Glad to know it took you weeks lol the Rene is nuts.

Also do you have any suggestions on software/hardware (preferrably software) that I can use to monitor waveforms?
ggillon
Get a korg sq1 so you don't have to bother too much with rené yet. And even when you eventually understand rené you will still be happy with it because it's a great CV sequencer and it is always useful to have one.

Edit: for the waveform sorry I never monitored them so I don't really know. I suppose some plug-ins exist for DAWs or maybe even stand alone programs. Can't help you
gentle_attack
ggillon wrote:

I hate to say it, but I agree with this, and didn't really look at the picture. MN is pretty well protected (you can even use the CV bus as an "or" mixer ::gasp:smile but I'd definitely start by rereading the manual and make a cheat sheet (til you are comfortable) with the coding MN uses to know what's an IN/OUT/CV and which jacks are offset and which attenuate the CV if you patch something in to that parameter.

You'll get frustrated (I did) when I was trying to do something, and was doing something different. You'll learn eventually but MN does have a pretty good set of coding/rules across all of their modules.
Illwiggle
If this is your first modular, my first suggestion is to be very very patient with regard to your expectations & desires for fruits to be yielded by this instrument. Theres a lot to learn! & a lotta fun to be had along the way. The most important part to understand here is Voltages. It is the language your modules speak. Patch & play around more than you read wink. You’ll learn the most from your system that way. But do read up too! That Shared System there is super powerful, take your time with it. Like another post up a ways said, give yourself at least a year to get a real hang of it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1