MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U is less costly than Eurorack . . . per equal panel area
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 5U is less costly than Eurorack . . . per equal panel area
JohnLRice
Not to instigate much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but have at it as this is something people might want to get their heads around?! hihi Or not! (hides) I mentioned this in a couple other threads and to not derail those threads with harping on this to get the point across, I'm starting this new thread.

FWIW I recently did a calculation comparing costs of my largest eurorack and 5U systems, NOT based on HP/Units and NOT on functionality per $$ etc but on cost per square foot. I included case, power supply and customization costs. I did NOT take into account patch cord costs, shipping costs, or electric power usage costs. The values of the modules was from ModularGrid new prices, not what I actually paid so my over all cost was less then the "new cost" totals.

$3,243 per square foot - Eurorac
$1,429 per square foot - 5U

Again, this doesn't take into account functional density differences but it's something to consider. I've read people starting out saying "I don't have a lot of money and not much room so I'm going eurorack!" But, if they really want to save money they should go with 5U because it will cost half as much to fill what ever space they have! spinning (please note "spin" icon Mr. Green )

I thought my calculations on my existing systems was fair since they weren't designed to prove any point, I just put them together to be as cool as I could afford, and I actually thought that my 5U would be more expensive or at least the same as my euro system. It's maybe not the best comparison though since my 5U system is quite huge and my eurorack case could only be considered barely medium by today's standards.

For the sake of this thread I did some quick comparisons in ModularGrid using just VCOs in 84 HP eurorack and 8 MU 5U (equivalent widths but the 5U is of course 2U taller). I suppose I should have added two 1U rows to the euro case OR made both cases 15U so that the spaces would be equal but, contrary to what this thread shows, I have more important things to do! oops So, least expensive to most expensive:

5U - 4 inexpensive VCOs ($900) vs 6 expensive VCO's with controllers ($3,300)

Euro - 6 inexpensive VCO's ($1500) vs 42 small VCOs ($5,400! MY ASS IS BLEEDING lol )

So, the moral of my story is:
If you want the most functionality for the money spent and/or the most functionality that can fit into a given space, go with eurorack.
BUT if you want to limit the amount of money you spend to fill a given space regardless of functionality, go with 5U.
bwhittington
This is the most useful comparison ever! applause

Thank you for aiding me in my purchasing decisions. I have opted for the 42 oscillator system, because it looks the most awesome!
scottmoon
JohnLRice
scottmoon wrote:
bwhittington wrote:
Thank you for aiding me in my purchasing decisions. I have opted for the 42 oscillator system, because it looks the most awesome!

applause we're not worthy

Don't forget to pick up a six pack of mults:

And a block of mixers for it:
Eric the Red
I just bought that Mult System you showed, and I can’t get any sound out of the modules. Where are the multiples hiding the multiple sounds they are supposed to have?

Sniper d'oh!
mskala
Excellent illustration of Poe's Law.
fac
Well, sure. My calculations are not as detailed as yours, but I do know that my 9U x 84 hp eurorack system is smaller than one of my Synthesizers.com 22-space portable cabinets. The eurorack system cost around $5K, whereas a Portable-22 system would cost less than $3K.

Function-wise, my eurorack has about the same power as two 22-space cabinets (or one 44-space) with older dotcom modules (newer modules are more dense). But from the aesthetic and ergonomic points of view, I much prefer working with my dotcoms. The eurorack is great for gigs, though.
bwhittington
scottmoon wrote:

I love you. Thank you so much! love w00t
fac
^

Is he trying to put his finger in the jack?
bwhittington
fac wrote:

lol
Gizmo
JohnLRice wrote:
OMG, this is an alarming realization! I should have bought a truck or something.

JohnLRice wrote:
Is a "per square foot" measurement valid for Eurorac?
Gizmo
bwhittington wrote:
fac wrote:
lol
Or knives.
BananaPlug
Quote:

So, if you plan to eventually take your system to a scrap yard you come out ahead with the 5U.
hmmm.....
JohnLRice
BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:

So, if you plan to eventually take your system to a scrap yard you come out ahead with the 5U.
hmmm.....
thumbs up Yes, there are many advantages to 5U over eurorack! Just think when in the near future eek! you've lost your income and all your family and friends and have sold off all your possessions including the modules, and the only thing you have left over is a huge cabinet no one will buy, you will be the envy of all the box and tent dwellers in the ally as you live in luxury in your beautiful hardwood "home".
jorg
Your math is excellent.

So if I'm buying modules as wallpaper, it's cheaper to go with 5U.

If I'm making music, it's cheaper to go with Euro.
JohnLRice
jorg wrote:
spinning hihi spinning
unrecordings
BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:

hmmm.....

Okay so according to Google, scrap aluminium is worth £1.50 to £2.50 per kilo in the UK

1 square metre of 3mm (MOTM) aluminium is 8.4kg
Therefore I have £40 to £65 worth of scrap aluminium

sad banana

Less the swarf that ended up in the bin over the last 20 years from making my own panels....
Stereotactixxx
jorg wrote:
Your math is excellent.

If I'm making music, it's cheaper to go with Euro.

For a middle-aged man like me, who own two homes and who hasn’t completed a track in many years, the choice is easy.

Thanks for justifying my 5U, John! Guinness ftw!
unrecordings
Old lab gear is even better: Dead cheap, very sexy looking, massive, and difficult to justify powering it all up at the same time never mind patching it
ersatzplanet
Try doing this calculation with Buchla.
fac
ersatzplanet wrote:
Try doing this calculation with Buchla.

Ouch.
sduck
jorg wrote:
Your math is excellent.

If I'm making robot farts, it's cheaper to go with Euro.

fixed that for ya
JohnLRice
sduck wrote:
jorg wrote:
Your math is excellent.

If I'm making robot farts, it's cheaper to go with Euro.

fixed that for ya
Lolhammer!
synthcube
love this thread! we've got wallpaper around here of all panel types-- with more coming every day!!!
JohnLRice
synthcube wrote:
love this thread! we've got wallpaper around here of all panel types-- with more coming every day!!!
WFTW! w00t screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!(Wallpaper For The Win) Mr. Green
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2