MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Making D-2000 moar distorted like D-1000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Making D-2000 moar distorted like D-1000
metasonix
Because people keep asking.
Quote:
You have to take the D-2000 front panel and rear enclosure off to get at the circuit board.

On the far right of the board is the output 3AU6 pentode. Near it at the far-right upper edge is a 2.7k resistor. Try shorting that resistor out and see if you like that distortion. If not enough, there's a 220k resistor right next to the 3AU6 tube; try adding a 47k resistor in parallel with it. That should be a LOT of distortion.

You should be able to do this if you have done simple repairs or circuit-bending before. It is VERY difficult to damage anything in that part of the circuit.

Please DO NOT ASK ME TO MOD YOUR MACHINE this month, please. I am very very very busy right now. Swamped and overloaded. I beg you.

Here's a pic to help you.
xthrasherx
SlayerBadger!

Probably going to try this over the weekend. Swamped and overloaded would make great track name too lol
metasonix
Note to anyone trying this:

I'm preparing to order a new batch of D-2000 boards. Idea was to remove the little used OUTPUT MUTE CV jack and replace it with a switch to select clean or distorted.

So if a D-2k owner tries this, please report back on the best distortion scheme you found. And we'll add it to future production.
luchog
metasonix wrote:
I'm preparing to order a new batch of D-2000 boards. Idea was to remove the little used OUTPUT MUTE CV jack and replace it with a switch to select clean or distorted.

Since it's essentially just changing resistor values, what about using a pot instead of a switch, so the distortion level can be adjusted?
metasonix
luchog wrote:
Since it's essentially just changing resistor values, what about using a pot instead of a switch, so the distortion level can be adjusted?

Which resistor? Cathode or anode? One will give "better results" meaning WORSE results. Need to know that.
xthrasherx
metasonix wrote:
luchog wrote:

Which resistor? Cathode or anode? One will give "better results" meaning WORSE results. Need to know that.

Personally I was wondering if that would work for the 2k7 resistor you suggested as the first mod point. Originally I was going to try a switch, but I like the idea of being able to dial it in a little bit.
chvad
metasonix wrote:
Note to anyone trying this:

So if a D-2k owner tries this, please report back on the best distortion scheme you found. And we'll add it to future production.

Will you make an announcement when those units with the changes ship out?
metasonix
chvad wrote:
Will you make an announcement when those units with the changes ship out?

Of course. Boards have been revised to add a pot to adjust the distortion. They are on order and I will post a demo video when one is ready. (Assuming you can hear it...)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1