MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

buzzing power supply with new module :-/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author buzzing power supply with new module :-/
elemental
I just got a 2nd hand Model 15 Osc, and it seems to have a problem with my power supply. When plugged in (and from what I can see its all the right way round) I just get a buzzing from my power supply and it cuts the power to everything else. When I unplug it everything works fine again.
Could it be not compatible with the power supply? I have an Analogue Solutions case.
dkcg
Sure it's plugged in right? Red goes on top in the ASys cases. Ignore the key on the cable plug, the keys are often the opposite the way the ASys cases are keyed, I end up using a sanderbit in my Dremel to grind off the keys in most my modules in the ASys case.

It could be a ground issue too, the M15s need to be grounded, in Doepfer cases, by just having the faceplate touch the rails, not sure about ASys cases, I would think they're grounded, but not positive.

If it was plugged in backwards, pray the M15 didn't blow up.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
yeah, I dont think its plugged in right.
GCF
Analogue Solutions or Analogue Systems? Not sure if that changes the situation, but I thought I would point that out. Is it the Concussor case?
dkcg
Oh, I read wrong. I thought it was Analogue Systems. No clue about the concussor cases.. d'oh!
elemental
Well the cable is def plugged in right .. the red stripe is where it says it should be on the module, and the power sockets are all keyed - and yes its the Analogue SOLUTIONS Concussor case.

I've had the buzzing power supply thing before, which I think was from a loose power connection in one module. No idea this time tho... I'll email Mr Grenader aswell.
e-grad
I assume, too, that either the power connector of the module itself is up site down or you plugged it up site down into the bus board. Or the module came with a short.

From a sheet that came along with my sole ASol module I guess there must be the word "stripe" on the bus board of your case. Since Tom pointed out that the Doepfer power sockets are up site down the ASol sockets should have +5V (first pair) and +12V (2nd pair) above and -12V at the bottom.

On the Model 15 pcb it is possibly indicated where the +12V pins is located. Thus make sure that these are connected correctly. However, once plugged in the other way round the Model 15 will have some burnt parts unless there's a protection circuit on the board.
flts
The time I had that issue was when I plugged an ASys module into a Doepfer style busboard and the adapter cable I had had one of the supply voltage lines and ground (I think) shorted together. Same thing, other modules weren't harmed but all I got was hum.

So I'd wager either the cable orientation is wrong or the cable is busted somehow. Or maybe a broken VCO if it isn't about those.
sabasan
If it is like mine
Analog Solution case are made of plastic
so probably is just a ground problem
elemental
Thanks, but mine is the metal 6U version.
There is still hope...!
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
maybe the cable itself is reversed?

make sure the ribbon cable on the board is hooked up right.
elemental
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
maybe the cable itself is reversed?

make sure the ribbon cable on the board is hooked up right.

You know I think that was it. Just been comparing the cable that came with the M15 and it seems that the power end was the wrong way round :-(

Every other module I've got has had the power cable the right way round, or I've used a custom longer cable so I wouldnt have noticed.
Now it just outputs nothing... just a DC click when I plug it in or out. Think its burnt d'oh!

Really gutted, was so looking forward to playing with it!
I wonder if its repairable...?
Cat-A-Tonic
It sounds to me like one of the rails is shorting to ground.
For your sake I hope this is the case.
If so, locate the short on the M15 between the rail and ground (likely near the power connector pins) and desolder it or just cut it.
I accidentally did this to my Binary Zone when building, but everything was fine after I cut the short.
I used an exacto knife to remove the solder bridge.

The primary reason for Plan B making a protected power distribution board is for use with the Model 15 Oscillator to prevent reversing the cable from frying the module.
Quote:
The Plan B Model 1 Protected Power Source is an insurance policy against the big stupid: Plugging modules in backwards. Each power terminal on the PSS is individually shielded by it's own protective diodes and resettable fuse which simply shuts the power down to the effected module, leaving the rest of the modules powered off the Model 1 unaffected, online and operational. To reset the power terminal simply plug the module in correctly and you're back on line. No need for mechanical resets of any type - the Model 1 takes care of that for you. Each power terminal on the Model 1 bus board supplies up to 200mA of protection.

The PSS accepts it's power input from either an Analogue Systems DIP 16 or Deopfer Inline 16 power strip. You simply connect the Model 1 as you would a module, and then run up to five powered units from it. Four supplied standoffs allow for multiple mounting options within your Doepfer or Analogue System chassis.

The PSS is highly recommended for the Plan B Model 15 VCO, which may suffer catastrophic damage if power is reversed, or for anyone using older A. Sys or Doepfer Chassis.
Chuck E. Jesus
is there a chance you are asking too much from the PS? try taking some mods off the PS and see if the problem persists...
elemental
ross g wrote:
is there a chance you are asking too much from the PS? try taking some mods off the PS and see if the problem persists...

I've now taken out 4 or 5 modules .. I think its fried. Dead Banana cry
Chuck E. Jesus
elemental wrote:
ross g wrote:

check the fuse?
elemental
ross g wrote:
elemental wrote:
ross g wrote:

check the fuse?

The power supply is fine now ... the problem is a broken Model 15 :-(
Chuck E. Jesus
elemental wrote:
ross g wrote:
elemental wrote:
ross g wrote:

check the fuse?

The power supply is fine now ... the problem is a broken Model 15 :-(

at least you know what it is...from what i gathered on the Plan B list you can return it? hope you get it sorted...
elemental
Got an email back from Peter Grenader... he's gonna help me fix it, hopefully!

Hope he doesn't mind me posting part of his email but thought it would be useful for anyone else with an A.Sol or older A Sys case getting an older Rev 1 M15:

Quote:
I know exactly what happened. See, both A. Sys & A. Sol added a key to their power dist panel that wasn't defined in the Doepfer spec. I can apppreciate their intent, but really it's BS because it created an integration problem as you've unfortunately discovered.

Botton line we now conform to the A. Sys keying standard but there were about 90+ units shipped from before. Dieter did make his cables a certain way but it wasn't speced.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1