MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

External mixer recommendations?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author External mixer recommendations?
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
I'm on the hunt for an external mixer to deal with modular levels and etc. Mostly need 8+ channels with preferably 2 aux sends. Anybody have a favorite they're using?
Pelsea
Mackie has been my go-to mixer brand for years. They occupy the sweet spot between too lightweight to last (Alesis, Behr.., Yamaha) and serious but expensive studio models (Allen & Heath, Soundcraft).

Stay with the analog models, currently the various VLZ4s look good. The 1202VLZ4 has 12 inputs and 2 aux sends.
naturligfunktion
I have the Soundcraft Signature mkt 12 and I quite like it! It’s annoying that channel 11/12 only have RCA in, but that can then be used for monitoring the other channels, which is quite handy.

In the ”Production Techniques”-part of the forum there is a bit more info on mixers if u are interested smile
motorhead412
Behringer XENYX 1002B mixer gets the job done for me and its cost didn't break the bank.
JohnLRice
Another vote for the Mackie VLZ series, I use them (402-VLZ3 and 802-VLZ3, current models are VLZ4) in my small portable setups. For my largest studio system I use an Allen & Heath Mixwizard WZ3 20S (discontinued model and the current series is WZ4) and while new prices may seem high for new ones, you can often find deals on eBay etc for New Old Stock (NOS), B-Stock, and Manufacturer Refurbished units. I was fortunate and got an incredible deal on my like new WZ3 20S, only $399! woah w00t SlayerBadger!
sduck
I've used a mackie 1202-vlz3 for decades. Actually 2 of them - the first one got a hum after maybe 20 years, so I replaced it with the current one.
cptnal
Another one for Mackie here. Happy 1202 VLZ4 user - plenty inputs for my 15U, and some interesting routing possibilities. Very playable too. It's like an extension of my rack.
mazzyboy
I'm a bit odd, in that I like analogue multi-tracking mixer with post fader sends. These are like rocking horse poo - almost impossible to find! But I like to be able to record multiple takes of my analogue eq tweaks, fader movements, and general dub tinkering - then add extra digital eq, fx, compression, etc to each track in the daw. 'Real' sound engineers tell me this is 'wrong'. I understand why - in the context of recoding live bands, but this workflow works well for me. I don't want to be a 'real' sound engineer... wink

I settled on an Alesis multimix 16 usb2.0. They are out of production now, so it's a time bomb waiting to fail, and only has 2 aux sends. (But I got it for only £80!)

Im temped to upgrade to the behringer ufx 1604. Its post eq, rather than post fader, but has a nice range of eq, 4 aux sends, and one knob compressors. Good price too. People used to slag off behringer gear, and their mixers in particular, but they seem to have come a long way since then and this model has been well received.

I'd love to know if anyone knows any other post fader options that don't break the bank?
mgregory22
I've never used it, but the Samson SM10 Rackmount Stereo Line Mixer looks pretty cool for $200. I have a couple of their patchbays and they're pretty excellent quality for the money, so I would bet on their line mixer to be just as good.
sir stony
I found the Mackie vlz3 series had a way better build quality than the vlz4, especially crackling pots are something that disqualified it for me very quickly. I'm not sure what would be a definitely better choice, tho. At home, I use several rack mixers. In my studio, I used a Tascam M2600... but that's a bit clunky and aged, too.
If I had to make a choice for my own to replace it all, I'd be looking at the A&H Zed 4-bus series.
hermbot
Yet another shoutout to the VLZ series, the absolute workhorses of mixers. I just which you could get faders on the smaller sizes...

I've never liked their mult-FX mixers. Or any mixer with effects on them. Just give me the mixer!
pugix
I've been using an Allen & Heath ZED14 for over six years. I wrote it up.

http://pugix.com/synth/allen-heath-zed14-mixer/

Yes, it's larger than compact mixers, but I often need all the inputs and the routing features, especially when I use my studio for House Concerts and want to plug in several other people's gear. I use the pre-fader aux send mix for stereo recording that is not affected by the levels set on the main mix.

I also use a Behringer Xenix 1204USB as a sub mixer, a portable mixer to go, and for feeding rear speakers in a four channel setup.
MarcelP
naturligfunktion wrote:
I have the Soundcraft Signature mkt 12 and I quite like it! It’s annoying that channel 11/12 only have RCA in, but that can then be used for monitoring the other channels, which is quite handy.

In the ”Production Techniques”-part of the forum there is a bit more info on mixers if u are interested smile

Soundcraft Signature mtk 22 user here - very satisfied.
ckwjr
I have the Mackie 802vlz4, which is fantastic, but if I had it to do over I'd buy the 1402vlz4 for the sliders instead of the fader knobs.
Rex Coil 7
ckwjr wrote:
I have the Mackie 802vlz4, which is fantastic ...
3 Mackie VLZ mixers here .... two 1202-VLZ3, one 1202-VLZPro plus my wife's 1202-VLZ3 (so four altogether). The least costly one was $65.00 shipped free (used, obviously). The most costly one was $105.00 shipped free (also used). All four are in excellent condition, the worst one is missing one rubber foot ... that is the only problem among the four of them.

I also have a Carvin Concert Series 12ch which has a shit-ton of aux bus sends and FX sends (total of NINE) ... plus four monitor sends as well! There are also two 9 band graphic EQs .. one on each of the two main outs. Eight of the twelve channels have their own 3 band EQ with a wide range semi-parametric EQ for midrange shaping (15db cut/boost - 100hz to 5khz). All steel construction. Not bad for $360.00 new with free shipping. Too bad Carvin is out of the pro gear business now (California taxation and fabrication regulations killed off that part of Carvin's business).

I used to have the 20ch version of the exact same mixer ... this picture goes back to about 2003 or so ... that's me with my Carvin 6 string bass, Ampeg SVT 300 watt tube head and HLF610 6x10 front ported cabinet in our band practice room ... the 20ch Carvin is on the far left.

ckwjr wrote:
... if I had it to do over I'd buy the 1402vlz4 for the sliders instead of the fader knobs ...

I prefer the pots rather than sliders since sliders provide a way for lint/dirt/crappage to entire the works (the open slot of the slider). After all, we are talking about mixers that have some years on them, with unknown histories and previous owners. Pots with knobs that have skirts which help to cover the pot shaft where it joins the pot's body are far better at keeping crapola from finding it's way into the pot or the mixer's internals when compared to sliders which have a gaping open slot. The little "dust brush" on better sliders is of some help, but it's still in no way anywhere near the pot w/good knob when it comes to keeping crud out of the works.

w00t

cool
lamateur2wiggles
mgregory22 wrote:
I've never used it, but the Samson SM10 Rackmount Stereo Line Mixer looks pretty cool for $200. I have a couple of their patchbays and they're pretty excellent quality for the money, so I would bet on their line mixer to be just as good.

+ 1 on the SM10. I've been using one over five years for keys and synth modules without any issues. I've used another one with my modular for a few months before moving to the Mackie 1640i.

It works fine with eurorack levels (-10 dBV or +4 dBu choice of input levels on each channel). No noise to speak of, clean pots and mute switches, one effect send with stereo return, one monitor send, two sets of outputs (TRS and XLR) + headphone out. It's quite well featured for such a small package, but no EQ of course. Knobs are tiny though and fairly cramped, but there's no patch cables in the way...

The Onyx 1640i is a real treat for modular if you've got the space. Detailed and subtle EQ, four busses, six aux sends and 16 firewire channels in and out if you want to record or mix with a computer. Mine is an early gen with serial starting in 003. It works without a driver, currently on Mac OS 10.12 (High Sierra). You can only find them used, but they're well built. No issues on mine, now over eight years old.
thevegasnerve
Mackie 820i user here, it’s been real solid and the EQs are useful at times. Mixture of aux send and inserts are great. I record most everything through it straight to my Zoom R8, sounds great if the levels are proper. Have considered trying the A&H Zed series..
pines
Some of the old Roland mixers are pretty good too, like the M240R.
thevegasnerve
If there is one piece of equipment undervalued right now vs. function, I think it’s these hardware mixers. So great for live and for having a setup at home just to jam and explore ideas. And that some have USB or FireWire connection is just a bonus.
oudplayer
I'm using a Mackie 1202vlz4 at the moment. Its audio and build quality is up there with the vlz3. I had an Allen and Heath zed14, and found the audio quality to be a bit worse than the Mackie (higher noise floor, worse headphone amp, and USB interface was useless), although it felt a bit better to use.

For the Allen and Heaths, the MixWizard series I always found to be a step up from the Mackies if "clean gain" is what you're going for, although the sound of the Mackie input stages beginning to distort is a signature sound of some techno music (I don't particularly like that bit of the sound, but hey, it is what it is). The Allen and Heath GL2 series can often be found used for quite cheap as well, and is a great value for a good sounding desk-- but make sure you can fully test it, since it's getting harder to repair em.

Toft Audio consoles sound amazing for modular synth mixing... or anything else, for that matter, but cost quite a bit more.
selig
Just recently got a Zoom L-20 LiveTrack mixer for live gigs with my modular, and couldn’t be happier. I’m a long time Mackie mixer fan starting with the original CR1604 and including a newer Onyx mixer.

The features that drew me to the Zoom were mainly the 3-in-1 nature of the device: mixer/recorder/interface. Each of these features is will implemented IMO, and is working really well for my application. And it handles modular levels just fine using the pads on each channel.

While there are no specially dedicated sends, which may be a deal breaker for some, there ARE 6 independent stereo monitor mix outputs which can be used as sends (though they are pre-fader since they are intended for monitor and not FX applications).
thevegasnerve
selig wrote:
Just recently got a Zoom L-20 LiveTrack mixer for live gigs with my modular, and couldn’t be happier. I’m a long time Mackie mixer fan starting with the original CR1604 and including a newer Onyx mixer.

The features that drew me to the Zoom were mainly the 3-in-1 nature of the device: mixer/recorder/interface. Each of these features is will implemented IMO, and is working really well for my application. And it handles modular levels just fine using the pads on each channel.

While there are no specially dedicated sends, which may be a deal breaker for some, there ARE 6 independent stereo monitor mix outputs which can be used as sends (though they are pre-fader since they are intended for monitor and not FX applications).

thats good to know since I have the Onyx right now. I believe it multi-tracks too which is great. Can you edit (pre-master) on the L-20? Teh Zooms R-8 has a nice edit function where you can pan, eq (somewhat), etc..
mnchrme
This one for live or higher for a studio solution is a neat choice. https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-6fx/
MindMachine
Soundcraft EPM user here. Replaced my 120VLZPro (which is still in rotation) for current usage.
gonkulator
I had used Mackies for years, still do for everything but what my modular is connected to. I wanted to clear counter space primarily, and I settled on a Soundcraft Ui24R. I have never been attracted to touch interfaces, and I still don't like the touch faders, but I can put the interface wherever I want to. Nice, clean, multitrack interface, though I still record just the two track mix. Plus, it and its connections are right in the middle of things, so connecting is pretty neat.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1