MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Daisy chaining spring reverb tanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Daisy chaining spring reverb tanks
???
Can you do that? How does it sound?
Idunno
Never done that, but I did once put a Fender Twin Reverb reverb tank (which is a huge long reverb) and a Accutronics short "Club" reverb tank together in parallel on a guitar amp, with the idea that it would be more like natural reverb, i.e. early reflections plus long decay, and it worked a treat. Absolutely huge and natural sounding. Sounded like the best reverb ever to me. I may have used a couple 8 ohm wire wound resistors too, for impedance matching.

P.S. Although I haven't built it myself there's a nice looking +9v spring reverb project over at the Guitar FX Layouts forum called the Ruthenium Reverb. Has a stripboard layout. You might be able to experiment with that on the cheap.
???
Interesting... How can you run them in parrallel? I only know reverb tanks with RCA in/out that are linked to devices like the Intellijel Springray and the Knas Moisturizer. I guess it's the same with guitar amps, but the only way I see would be to split the signal to the tanks and merge the signal back before plugging it back into the device...
Idunno
??? wrote:
Interesting... How can you run them in parrallel? I only know reverb tanks with RCA in/out that are linked to devices like the Intellijel Springray and the Knas Moisturizer. I guess it's the same with guitar amps, but the only way I see would be to split the signal to the tanks and merge the signal back before plugging it back into the device...

Yeah, just split the in / out the cables. But like I said, add a couple of resistors for impedance matching. If your original reverb tank is 8ohm, you still want it be 8 ohms when both reverb tanks are used. Same applies if you run them in series.

The resistors are probably more important when using guitar amps with reverb transformers than IC driven circuits. I'm not gonna advise trying it without the resistors though, as I have no idea if that's viable. It may be. You'd need someone with more knowledge than I to tell you.
jorg
To get the best sound from a spring tank, drive it with a power amp, through a series resistor. The resistor flattens (brightens) the frequency response. For me, a little old 5 Watt Radio Shack amp and 47 Ohm series resistor works well. I drive it just shy of distorting.

On the output, use a high impedance recovery amp. Mine is homemade, but anything >100K with a clean response will work. I think mine has a voltage gain of 50.

I'd recommend separate drive and recovery amps for each of your springs. If you connect the springs directly together in series or parallel you'll lose a lot of signal.
MindMachine
I bought two Fender Frontman R25 amps. They were $99.00 each. The reverb is relatively quiet. They have a nice standard Fender 3 band EQ and they have headphone outputs so I can use them as dedicated reverbs if I want to.

Run separately. Run in series. Run parallel. And they are amps too. Even can use them as a PA for small gigs.

Better than the old Furman I had and as good as the Fostex.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1