MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Debating a Landscape Stereo Field... How useful is it?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Debating a Landscape Stereo Field... How useful is it?
naegleria
Hey all. So, I'm thinking of buying one of these. I'm wondering if the price point (500$) is worth what it offers. In terms of what it can do, if I were to rank its features and how I feel I'd use it, it would go like:

1) CV Controller
2) Audio processing
3) Noise box

I make noise and experimental music. I've heard that people really like this as a noise box but I haven't been too wowed by what it can do in that regard, yet.

I am open to alternatives (even if they do not do all three of these things) or advice of any sort!

Thanks smile
motorhead412
i had a B-stock unit a while back that i got for a bit cheaper than list price. i'm torn on whether or not i'd recommend it because of the cost.

it's a fun CV controller but it wasn't as precise as i'd like it to be but, that's probably not the intention of the design.

as an audio processor, it'll definitely mangle the input but, i found it to be a bit same-y.

i enjoyed it most as a noise box but, i bought it at a time when my knowledge of synthesis was a lot less than it is now and i also had a lot less gear to interface with the Stereo Field. if i had it again, i'd love to run it through a resonant filter with audio rate modulation.

as an alternative, i might suggest Planar 2. i love it as a CV controller with built-in CV recording and for audio processing, you can do four-channel panning / mixing
dthorn
I love mine as a CV "controller"/mixer/feedback router. Makes a patch feel like it's made out of very angry elastic or something. I've never managed to get anything interesting out of it in as an audio generator in its own right though. Maybe I'm just not conductive enough.
powertran
You could grow some veg. sorry couldn't resist.
thatguy
I have one and I enjoy it quite a bit, but as far as bang for the buck it is a bit of a one trick pony. I haven't used it very extensively for cv as much as sending different audio sources in for noise and feedback I imagine it would be equivalent to sending a noise source as cv where you can adjust the intensity. It's more for experimental noise, feedback and distortion if that's what you are looking for. There are a handful of video demos that give you an idea what to expect and don't expect much more than what you see. it excels at squeals and squelches, but I also find it works as a nice distortion. I can definitely say more than most this is an effect that you either love or hate so I would recommend trying to get your hands on one or doing lots of video watching if you are worried about spending the $$.

A possible alternative in the eurorack world might be error modular spikes, which I have not used myself but seems to possibly be based on a similar principal.
JM Midnight
I got my Stereofield bundled with the Koma FX. It spits, burps and farts nicely with my sequencers, Personally, I like Noise music, so I never can say what it's going to do. If you enjoy chance vs. causality, this might be your thing. I swear, that touchplate is like an EMF meter and sometimes picks up the wails of the deceased in my haunted house. Think of it like a musical Ouja board. I'm still trying to control it, but I don't know if I can... or if I care.
JM Midnight
I got my Stereofield bundled with the Koma FX. It spits, burps and farts nicely with my sequencers, Personally, I like Noise music, so I never can say what it's going to do. If you enjoy chance vs. causality, this might be your thing. I swear, that touchplate is like an EMF meter and sometimes picks up the wails of the deceased in my haunted house. Think of it like a musical Ouja board. I'm still trying to control it, but I don't know if I can... or if I care.
JM Midnight
knifey
Pretty much the same impression. I think it's a handsome, original little instrument if you're really into gestural noise-making, but like others mentioned, not for anything precise.

For CV & audio processing + noise, may I recommend the humble Doepfer A-189-1 bit modifier plus something like a MengQi Voltage Memory or Intellijel Tetrapad or Planar 2. the 189-1 is essentially a bit-crusher, but with 16 different logic/bit-reduction modes. You can send it either audio or CVs as input source and there are independent CV inputs for bit-depth and sample-rate. You can also plug the output back into the input and it basically self-oscillates and spits out all kinds of blurps and noise and zips. I rarely send it audio - I mangle LFOs through it or use it as a noise generator.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1