MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next [all]
Author performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build
pixelforest
just did two shows with the performer, one where it was the only sequencer and one with it as well as my usual er-101/metron/cr/metropolis rig. absolutely phenomenal especially with the launchpad.
LeftyStrat
I've purchased this sequencer on Reverb. I'm a little confused by the various models of Launchpad. Will the Launchpad MKII work as well as an original Launchpad?
pixelforest
LeftyStrat wrote:
I've purchased this sequencer on Reverb. I'm a little confused by the various models of Launchpad. Will the Launchpad MKII work as well as an original Launchpad?

original launchpad will not work and is never intended to be made to work. i have a launchpad mini but i believe there is some discussion about other models earlier in this thread.
forestcaver
LeftyStrat wrote:
I've purchased this sequencer on Reverb

That’s a bit concerning - it’s licenced as cc-by-nc-sa !! You realise you can never sell it now ? And the vendor was violating the licence? (Unless, of course, Simon has started selling them...)
pixelforest
forestcaver wrote:
LeftyStrat wrote:
I've purchased this sequencer on Reverb

That’s a bit concerning - it’s licenced as cc-by-nc-sa !! You realise you can never sell it now ? And the vendor was violating the licence? (Unless, of course, Simon has started selling them...)

that's not really what the NC part means in general. someone can't run a business selling them, but there's nothing commercial about selling your own.

from creativecommons.org
Quote:
CC’s NonCommercial (NC) licenses prohibit uses that are “primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or monetary compensation.”

if you build a NC thing for yourself and then at some point decide you no longer want it, i don't think that selling your thing is outside the bounds of the license intention. the definitions are intentionally vague (see further on the page linked) but the spirit of it is more about not turning someone's open source project into your commercial business.
zarar
Any guides on how to Flash the STM the first time around after build? Do I need any equipment to do this or can it be done via USB/SD-Card? How do i do it?
smiler
zarar wrote:
Any guides on how to Flash the STM the first time around after build? Do I need any equipment to do this or can it be done via USB/SD-Card? How do i do it?

You need a proper STM32 programmer the first time. There are various options out there, I used the ST-LINK/V3 together with the STM32CubeProgrammer software on my build.
Staticcharge
pixelforest wrote:
just did two shows with the performer, one where it was the only sequencer and one with it as well as my usual er-101/metron/cr/metropolis rig. absolutely phenomenal especially with the launchpad.

Did you use the Performer as your master clock or another module, I found the ER-101 is a bit fussy with clock inputs and can sometimes glitch.
Staticcharge
zarar wrote:

I use this:
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/ST-LINK-V2?q s=H4BOwPtf9MC1sDQ8j3cy4w==&vip=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjYHpBRC4ARIsAI-3GkGImcq BAIdTvURCENnXpYljMDHSIVC7RT1b19AvwJ3Trzd48ysD46caAmn1EALw_wcB
Software is downloadable from the ST website.
I found this video helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l300o8UsYOE
cnicht
The STLINKV2 needs a 10pin adapter to connect to the Performer - or does it now come with one?
Staticcharge
cnicht wrote:
The STLINKV2 needs a 10pin adapter to connect to the Performer - or does it now come with one?

No your right, forgot to add that. I bought mine from The PI hut on Ebay but I'm sure there are others more local to whoever needs to buy one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adafruit-JTAG-2x10-2-54mm-to-SWD-2x5-1-27mm -Cable-Adapter-Board-ADA2094/263111779590?epid=1543518694&hash=item3d4 2af2506:g:cNMAAOSwgv5ZeyUd

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adafruit-10-pin-2x5-Socket-Socket-1-27mm-ID C-SWD-Cable-150mm-long-ADA1675/263111588002?hash=item3d42ac38a2:g:wwAA AOSwNC5Zev6c

You'll find the cable will be suitable for the MI clones that use the Jtag connection as well, so it's worth getting them. I've been using the HEX code method on all my builds for a while but once I have the time to sit down I'll have a look at using the Vagrant environment just for curiosities sake.
cnicht
Or this at Mouser:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Olimex-Ltd/ARM-JTAG-20-10?qs=sG AEpiMZZMtE4ePzUE8d2AvNxheVcyoX
Staticcharge
cnicht wrote:
Or this at Mouser:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Olimex-Ltd/ARM-JTAG-20-10?qs=sG AEpiMZZMtE4ePzUE8d2AvNxheVcyoX

Which is much cheaper... applause
zarar
The 3 left-bottom pins on the JTAG connector wants to stay together. Is that a problem or should i continue trying to work my soldering braid? very frustrating
cnicht
I think you have a solder bridge to the square pad (Pin 1)

Pins 3, 5 and 9 are connected to Ground on the schematic but they are not adjacent on the pin header.
selfdestroyer
Finished one of mine and it booted right up! This is the PCB & Panel from Pusherman's store.

This was the first time I soldered an STM32

Just realized I'm missing my MIDI out nut.. damn.

I am using the launchpad mini with it and for anyone on the fence about grabbing one, it super fast for live stuff and track manipulation on the fly. I highly recommend it. I fell in love with the interface also, reminds me of my Akai MPC sampler days.

Time to start on my second one for another case.
AlanP
I'm guessing it can be programmed with a FTDI Friend, like Mutable STM32 stuff, but I really don't recommend using the serial pins. Get a ST-Link V2 and a Mini-JTAG adaptor cable.
toneburst
Altitude909 wrote:
ok, off to fab. It all works pretty well except for the midi in which will need the ground lead cut off, small price to pay

If (theoretically, obviously, ahem) I were to forget to cut off the ground leg of the MIDI In socket, and solder the ground for both MIDI In and Out sockets to one of your boards, could that do something to permanent to kill both TRS MIDI In and Out, assuming I had powered up the module for a while, before realising my mistake?
Lemmy
Got my Performer up and running yesterday. What an amazingly powerful module! Great job Simon.
toneburst
Can't get the TRS MIDI input on my Per|former to work at all.

This is one of @Altitude909's Thinkiconn boards (rev.1.1).

I've replaced D2, U1, R1 and R2, and reflowed all pins of the MCU.

MIDI monitor page shows nothing when I plug in a DIN MIDI controller via a Make Noise DIN to TRS adapter.

The same controller, cable and MIDI adapter shows what I would expect on the Monitor page on one of my other Per|formers (original board) when I turn a knob or press a key.

There seems to be something else odd about my 3rd build, too. It won't boot to the bootloader, or run the update from the SD card.

It's currently running firmware v.0.1.21.

I was able to format an SD card, so I assume the card slot is working OK.

Could the inability to boot to the bootloader be related at all to the MIDI input error?

MIDI output now seems to work fine, incidentally.

As noted before, I forgot to remove the GND leg from the MIDI in socket. Could this have made anything Bad happen?
toneburst
The boot loaded issue is unrelated, I think.

I realised there was an error in the little script I made to flash the Bootloader and Sequencer firmware.

I corrected the error, and re-flashed, and now I can boot to the Bootloader, and update from a file on SD card.

Still no TRS MIDI input, though.

Is it possible that the MCU is damaged?

I need to sleep now, but tomorrow I will try to test for continuity between R2 and pin 38 of the MCU.

If that comes back positive, I'm stumped...
toneburst
I think I’ve discovered the source of the problem!

I bought the wrong opto-coupler IC!

I have a VO0630T, instead of the required VO0600T.
The two have different pinouts.

I think the supplier brought up the wrong part of the nearest match when I searched for the opto, and I forgot to check before ordering.

Hopefully, I have a spare of the correct part lying around from previous builds.
TAROUG
Hey there,

I just finished building a performer and it seems to work fine, while jamming around.
When I enter the system to calibrate I can just calibrate CV1 and switching around with the T buttons is however not possible.

The other thing is, I have empty 64gb sd card sitting in the slot but it seems the performer can't see it. Saving is not possible and in the system menu I can't get to UTILS or UPDATE.

What's wrong? help
cnicht
Post some hi-res photos of the board and we can have a look to see if there are any constructional faults.

Have you run the test firmware?
TAROUG
I ran the tester.hex and there were one thing I didn't fix yet. CV2 IN is having 1V constantly.
I will give you some pics in a minute
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next [all]
Page 18 of 22