MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next [all]
Author performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build
TAROUG
Damn, I opened the panel and directly saw that I forgot to solder on D2 d'oh!

Let me fix this first and try again...
cnicht
Where are you measuring the voltage on CV2 IN?
TAROUG
D2 didn't solve the problem.

TAROUG
cnicht wrote:
Where are you measuring the voltage on CV2 IN?

Didn't measure at all, but it showed up in test mode.
cnicht
It’s difficult to tell from your photos if there’s a constructional problem - can you improve the image resolution?

What’s the voltage on pin 8 of U6 with nothing plugged in?
TAROUG
cnicht wrote:
It’s difficult to tell from your photos if there’s a constructional problem - can you improve the image resolution?

What’s the voltage on pin 8 of U6 with nothing plugged in?

Problem solved. I reflowed all SMD parts and found a short on the MCU. Now everything works fine It's peanut butter jelly time!

Thank you for helping!
cnicht
Great - happy sequencing! Rockin' Banana!
LeftyStrat
Does anyone know where I could purchase an assembled Performer. My eyesight make doing SMT a challenge.
Roni
selfdestroyer wrote:
This is the PCB & Panel from Pusherman's store.

Is that the anodized aluminium panel or just fr4? If aluminium, how did you fare with fitting it?

selfdestroyer
Roni wrote:
selfdestroyer wrote:
This is the PCB & Panel from Pusherman's store.

Is that the anodized aluminium panel or just fr4? If aluminium, how did you fare with fitting it?

It's the aluminum. It fit without issues. I did the usual, mount all jacks and place the panel then soldier all the jacks routine.
TAROUG
cnicht wrote:
Great - happy sequencing! Rockin' Banana!

Damn, I thought I am lucky but this think still is not working.
When i turn it on after a while it works perfectly, but after around 2-3min the screen is turning black and all LEDs are off.
I still measure 3.3V on the MCU. Nothing gets too hot.

Any ideas what this could be?
cnicht
It seems like something is heating up, expanding and opening a bad solder joint.

Do the buttons still work when this happens?
TAROUG
cnicht wrote:
It seems like something is heating up, expanding and opening a bad solder joint.

Do the buttons still work when this happens?

I think it's something with the MCU. I tried to connect again with the ST Link and now I just get an error message (Device under reset). I reflowed it several times and I can't find any short with my continuity meter.
Maybe I have fried it somehow?
cnicht
More likely a short or bad solder joint.

Inspect with microscope.
Lemmy
I found the interactive BOM really useful for checking the various power nets. That might help you narrow down the problem.
Beware though that every time you choose a different net to check (e.g. 3.3V) do a hard refresh in your web browser. The web app has a cache problem, it will just show you the components to check from the last net unless you do the refresh.
backfromearth
Do you need to assemble and connect the main power area in order to flash the MCU ?

I succeeded in detecting a MCU in a rings I built last week just by connecting the board with the ST link V2 and the 2*5 jtag connectors, so I know the problem is not the driver and the cable. Following the interactive guide, I just soldered the components around the MCU ( capacitors, and quartz) but do not achieve to detect it, even after a lot of reflows.
sad banana
Thanks!
toneburst
backfromearth wrote:
Do you need to assemble and connect the main power area in order to flash the MCU ?

I think you need to complete the power section, as well as the the MCU and associated components.

You can see from the photo in the Build Guide which components are required to flash the MCU.

I've not tried flashing without the module being powered. I assume that won't work, but I may be wrong.

I've also found it useful to fit the display header and display at this stage, as it's good to see if the firmware is properly installed.

If you do this, you might want to consider also soldering the components near the header, before fitting that, as it's fiddly soldering these after the header.
cnicht
The microcontroller needs the +3.3V and +3.3VA power rails and the associated components as outlined in the build guide (MCU Section)

It’s a good idea to flash the micro before the rest of the build and you should be able to get information on the display.

Use the tester.hex file for system testing.
Lemmy
This is annoying - just testing my midi in/out for the first time and I don't seem to be getting anything out of the midi OUT jack. USB midi out is working, and midi IN is working. I used the same TRS adapter which works with midi IN for midi OUT testing.

I have reflowed U2, R3, R4 and the jack socket.

If I put an oscilloscope on the midi OUT jack socket I get a constant 5V with periodic pulse drops to 0 when the sequencer is running. Is that how it should look? However it doesn't trigger any synth sounds when connected or flash the LED in my midi junction box if I connect to that.

N.B. this is Altitude's board for the Thonk jacks.
toneburst
There's not many components between the MCU and MIDI output.

So, check all those components.

MIDI TX is on pin 37 of the MCU.

Have you made sure to set the Vel. Source of the output notes to a constant value?

If you don't set that, it just puts out a load of 0 velocity notes, so most MIDI devices don't produce any notes.

You probably know that already, though.
Lemmy
toneburst wrote:

Have you made sure to set the Vel. Source of the output notes to a constant value?

If you don't set that, it just puts out a load of 0 velocity notes, so most MIDI devices don't produce any notes.

No, I didn't but I just tried it and it didn't change anything.

My theory is that my TRS adapter is the wrong type. It looks to me like Altitude added the mod for midi IN to accept either type of TRS adapter, but didn't do the same for midi OUT.

I could be wrong - I'll try putting together a cable with the connections swapped to see if it works.
toneburst
Can't check your theory, sadly, as my latest Per|former build (one of @Altitude909's v1.1 mod) has a broken MCU, and I'm waiting for a replacement.

I did have MIDI In and Out working, using a Make Noise TRS-DIN Midi adapter. That's the kind that works with the 1.0 board, too.
Altitude909
Lemmy wrote:
toneburst wrote:

No, I didn't but I just tried it and it didn't change anything.

My theory is that my TRS adapter is the wrong type. It looks to me like Altitude added the mod for midi IN to accept either type of TRS adapter, but didn't do the same for midi OUT.

I could be wrong - I'll try putting together a cable with the connections swapped to see if it works.

It only works for midi in, midi out is a complete different thing.

>If I put an oscilloscope on the midi OUT jack socket I get a constant 5V with periodic pulse drops to 0 when the sequencer is running. Is that how it should look? However it doesn't trigger any synth sounds when connected or flash the LED in my midi junction box if I connect to that.

Yes, that's exactly what it should look like. Sounds like a cable issue
Lemmy
Yep, it was the TRS adapter.

I can finally put the panel on and rack it now.
toneburst
Altitude909 wrote:
It only works for midi in, midi out is a complete different thing.

Will you implement a similar mechanism for MIDI Out in the future?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next [all]
Page 19 of 22