MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next [all]
Author performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build
merlin
DozenCrows wrote:
PCBs and panels now up on Pusherman - https://pushermanproductions.com/product/westlicht-performer-sequencer  /

IIRC Simon mentioned on FB he was discussing this with Pusherman a little while back.


thumbs up

Karl
Altitude909
toneburst wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
595s and the 165. tight pads on those, i had some rework to do there also.


There are a Lot of tight pads. Ones for the MCU are pretty tiny, and those for the 0805 caps are practically impossible to solder with the specified parts. 0603 caps work fine here, though.


KlingonCad. I didnt even realize he specd 805 parts. I used 603 throughout..
sduck
toneburst wrote:
Check IC orientation, first, I’d say.


Take a look at the first post, help me out - is everything ok? I was checking multiple diagrams/pictures as I soldered them in, and think i have the mall correct.

Virusinstaller wrote:


Diode orientation correct? It might be as simple as that.


This is a possiblility - I may have misread the PCB - I have all the lines on the diodes oriented towards the bottom of the pcb - is this wrong? I think I know diode symbols, but you never know what you don't know...

Altitude909 wrote:

595s and the 165. tight pads on those, i had some rework to do there also.


These were the easy ones of the bunch, compared to the DAC and the ARM. I've gone over them with a really strong magnifying glass, and beep tested everything, seems ok.
gbiz
The ICs all look ok from the image you posted in the OP, but teh resolution isn't that great. Better resolution pic would be useful.

The encoder and it's switch are run directly from one of the MCU ports, not the pushbutton matrix. Have you checked the soldering on the crystal & it's caps ?.
Are the supply rails at the correct voltage & clean/stable ?. The pushbutton matrix runs from +5V, that's then regulated down to 3.3V for the MCU.

And check Q5. That's responsible for the output enable for the pushbutton matrix drivers.
sduck
gbiz wrote:
The ICs all look ok from the image you posted in the OP, but teh resolution isn't that great. Better resolution pic would be useful.

The encoder and it's switch are run directly from one of the MCU ports, not the pushbutton matrix. Have you checked the soldering on the crystal & it's caps ?.
Are the supply rails at the correct voltage & clean/stable ?. The pushbutton matrix runs from +5V, that's then regulated down to 3.3V for the MCU.

And check Q5. That's responsible for the output enable for the pushbutton matrix drivers.


I haven't checked all of the power rails, need to do that. The 5v at least looks ok. The thing fires up, and seems to be working, except for the switches - they're throwing some random stuff, causing it to end up in some weird state that's different every time. Thanks for ideas of other stuff to check, I'll probably get on that more tomorrow.

forestcaver
Not seen this mentioned before but for those who aren’t aware, it is worth using the tester hex to verify function of all i/o jacks, buttons and encoder - it makes testing the function of the module very simple.
toneburst
Performer n.1 of my two mostly working, and playing very nicely with my Launchpad Mini.



The Clock input seems to be dead. I was having too much fun exploring the Launchpad functionality to flash the testing firmware, so don't know if anything else is non-functional, too.
forestcaver
sduck wrote:
gbiz wrote:
The ICs all look ok from the image you posted in the OP, but teh resolution isn't that great. Better resolution pic would be useful.

The encoder and it's switch are run directly from one of the MCU ports, not the pushbutton matrix. Have you checked the soldering on the crystal & it's caps ?.
Are the supply rails at the correct voltage & clean/stable ?. The pushbutton matrix runs from +5V, that's then regulated down to 3.3V for the MCU.

And check Q5. That's responsible for the output enable for the pushbutton matrix drivers.


I haven't checked all of the power rails, need to do that. The 5v at least looks ok. The thing fires up, and seems to be working, except for the switches - they're throwing some random stuff, causing it to end up in some weird state that's different every time. Thanks for ideas of other stuff to check, I'll probably get on that more tomorrow.



Triple check pins 20-23 on the stm32. It has to be the multiplexors, stm32 or q5. I suspect the encoder weirdness is just due to the page buttons acting weird and not the encoder, at a guess. May be worth scoping the multiplexor outputs and see what you are getting....
Virusinstaller
sduck wrote:
toneburst wrote:
Check IC orientation, first, I’d say.


Take a look at the first post, help me out - is everything ok? I was checking multiple diagrams/pictures as I soldered them in, and think i have the mall correct.

Virusinstaller wrote:


Diode orientation correct? It might be as simple as that.


This is a possiblility - I may have misread the PCB - I have all the lines on the diodes oriented towards the bottom of the pcb - is this wrong? I think I know diode symbols, but you never know what you don't know...

Altitude909 wrote:

595s and the 165. tight pads on those, i had some rework to do there also.


These were the easy ones of the bunch, compared to the DAC and the ARM. I've gone over them with a really strong magnifying glass, and beep tested everything, seems ok.


Sduck diodes down should be correct. Everything is populated?
Virusinstaller
toneburst wrote:
Performer n.1 of my two mostly working, and playing very nicely with my Launchpad Mini.



The Clock input seems to be dead. I was having too much fun exploring the Launchpad functionality to flash the testing firmware, so don't know if anything else is non-functional, too.


Clock input has a clock divider which can be found on the BPM page. Check that.

How is using the launchpad?
cnicht
What capabilities does the Launchpad Mini add to the Performer? Does it enable the selection of different sequences? Muting/unmuting? Playing scales? Inputting notes/values?

Very curious!
Bartelby
toneburst wrote:

The Clock input seems to be dead. I was having too much fun exploring the Launchpad functionality to flash the testing firmware, so don't know if anything else is non-functional, too.


Once you get that working you could go really crazy and, you know, use it to make some music... hihi
toneburst
cnicht wrote:
What capabilities does the Launchpad Mini add to the Performer? Does it enable the selection of different sequences? Muting/unmuting? Playing scales? Inputting notes/values?

Very curious!


It doesn't add any capabilities that can't be accessed from the module itself, as far as I can tell.

It does allow editing of most pattern-level properties from the pads.
toneburst
Bartelby wrote:
Once you get that working you could go really crazy and, you know, use it to make some music... hihi


How do you know I wasn't making music, while "exploring the Launchpad functionality".
toneburst
I wasn't, but that in no way invalidates my point wink
sduck
I found the problem. Very minor sort of thing, easily missed (at least for me apparently!). Bad solder on pin 11 of U5. It looked OK from most angles, I finally got it lit up the right way with my magnifying glass and there it was. Took all of 5 seconds to fix (heating up the iron was far longer). Fully functional now.

Thanks to everyone who responded! All your help and suggestions were greatly appreciated.


Virusinstaller
This is excellent & nice looking panel too!

I am finding this module super inspiring lately. Much fun wiggling!
Bartelby
toneburst wrote:

How do you know I wasn't making music, while "exploring the Launchpad functionality".


Just a hunch...

toneburst wrote:
I wasn't, but that in no way invalidates my point wink


applause
Roni
mqmq wrote:
Can this do polyphony over midi ?


I don't think it can. or at least I haven't worked it out. I had a fiddle in the MIDIOUT page, trying to set different events, sources and parameters to different MIDI channels, but it appears that it's a global setting, not per track or per MIDI channel. So you can set different source tracks for notes, gates, CCs etc but you only get one of each that you can output over the channel of your choice either over the MIDI or USB (but not both), if that makes sense.
toneburst
Re. polyphony: you may be able to re-route MIDI in events in your DAW, or whatever is receiving MIDI from the Performer to the same channel.

Alternatively, if the receiving MIDI device is mono-timbral, you may be able to put it into OMNI mode, so it effectively responds to notes etc. on all channels.

You will still need one Performer channel per stacked note.
sneak-thief
toneburst wrote:
cnicht wrote:
What capabilities does the Launchpad Mini add to the Performer? Does it enable the selection of different sequences? Muting/unmuting? Playing scales? Inputting notes/values?

Very curious!


It doesn't add any capabilities that can't be accessed from the module itself, as far as I can tell.

It does allow editing of most pattern-level properties from the pads.


You can get an idea of what the Launchpad does by looking at the raw code functions:

Quote:


From LaunchpadController.h:

// Sequence mode
void sequenceEnter();
void sequenceExit();
void sequenceDraw();
void sequenceButtonDown(const Button &button);
void sequenceButtonUp(const Button &button);

void sequenceUpdateNavigation();

void sequenceSetLayer(int row, int col);
void sequenceSetFirstStep(int step);
void sequenceSetLastStep(int step);
void sequenceEditStep(int row, int col);
void sequenceEditNoteStep(int row, int col);
void sequenceEditCurveStep(int row, int col);

void sequenceDrawLayer();
void sequenceDrawStepRange(int highlight);
void sequenceDrawSequence();
void sequenceDrawNoteSequence();
void sequenceDrawCurveSequence();

// Pattern mode
void patternEnter();
void patternExit();
void patternDraw();
void patternButtonDown(const Button &button);
void patternButtonUp(const Button &button);

// Performer mode
void performerEnter();
void performerExit();
void performerDraw();
void performerButtonDown(const Button &button);
void performerButtonUp(const Button &button);

// Navigation
void navigationDraw(const Navigation &navigation);
void navigationButtonDown(Navigation &navigation, const Button &button);

// Drawing
void drawTracksGateAndSelected(const Engine &engine, int selectedTrack);
void drawTracksGateAndMute(const Engine &engine, const PlayState &playState);

void drawStepRange(int first, int last, int highlit);



From LaunchpadController.cpp:

static const LayerMapItem noteSequenceLayerMap[] = {
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::Gate)] = { 0, 0 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::GateProbability)] = { 1, 0 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::Retrigger)] = { 0, 1 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::RetriggerProbability)] = { 1, 1 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::Length)] = { 0, 2 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::LengthVariationRange)] = { 1, 2 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::LengthVariationProbability)] = { 2, 2 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::Note)] = { 0, 3 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::NoteVariationRange)] = { 1, 3 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::NoteVariationProbability)] = { 2, 3 },
[int(NoteSequence::Layer::Slide)] = { 2, 0 },
};


static const LayerMapItem curveSequenceLayerMap[] = {
[int(CurveSequence::Layer::Shape)] = { 0, 0 },
[int(CurveSequence::Layer::Min)] = { 0, 1 },
[int(CurveSequence::Layer::Max)] = { 0, 2 },
};




- https://github.com/westlicht/performer/blob/master/src/apps/sequencer/ ui/controllers/launchpad/LaunchpadController.h

- https://github.com/westlicht/performer/blob/master/src/apps/sequencer/ ui/controllers/launchpad/LaunchpadController.cpp
cnicht
Very useful - thank you.

Does it require any programming of the Launchpad?
sneak-thief
cnicht wrote:
Very useful - thank you.

Does it require any programming of the Launchpad?


Hopefully toneburst can answer that. Haven't built one yet.
toneburst
Anyone know what MIDI DIN > TRS standard is used?

I can't seem to get either MIDI in or out working with the adapter that came with my Beatstep Pro, which leads me to suspect it's wired the wrong way round.

Anyone got MIDI I/O out working?
toneburst
cnicht wrote:
Does it require any programming of the Launchpad?


No, it's plug-and-play smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next [all]
Page 3 of 22
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group