MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Envelope pronounciation?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

How do you pronounce "Envelope"?
"En-velope"
80%
 80%  [ 72 ]
"On-velope"
20%
 20%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 90

Author Envelope pronounciation?
goom
I'm curious how many pronounce it each way.

Is this an American vs European thing?
thetwlo
that's an odd one, I voted "En" but probably use both. Interesting! I think I use "On" for the paper and other applications, and "En" for synth. Now, I'll be noticing that.
Joe.
How do people that use 'on-velope' pronounce the word 'envelop' eek!
sduck
eee jeee
thetwlo
Joe. wrote:
How do people that use 'on-velope' pronounce the word 'envelop' eek!

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/envelop-envelope/
nikmis
I say on velope but people have criticized me for it at work, in regards to the paper envelopes. I'm Canadian and I work with Americans, Canadians, and Australians and they all have told me this so maybe I just have a speech impediment, or it's regional.
gonkulator
thetwlo wrote:
that's an odd one, I voted "En" but probably use both. Interesting! I think I use "On" for the paper and other applications, and "En" for synth. Now, I'll be noticing that.

me as well

Edit: I see a tangential irony, I guess, kinda, in the thread title. Maybe it was intentional.
Kent
When speaking in English: “en”
Quand je parle français: “on”
GuyaGuy
I use another envelope to modulate the pronunciation to Ehhhh-onnn-velope.
Parnelli
Never really gave it much thought. Hey, would you then call an inverted envelope an "unvelope"?
arthurdent
I use both, interchangebly, no real reason how or why seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
franktropez
On-velope and so as to rhyme with "Penelope".
powertran
You'd have to hear it said by someone like the Queen or someone really upper class, to get the definitive Queens English.
MarcelP
En-velope if I am referring to the paper sleeve

In-velope if I am referring to the paper sleeve with something inside it

On-velope if I am referring to the address written on the paper sleeve

Un-velope if I am referring to a used and now empty paper sleeve

An-velope if I am referring to a paper sleeve that has been accidentally sealed prior to anything being inserted.

I thought everyone did this?
Gizmo
When used as a verb meaning "to wrap" -- then it can only be en-VEL-op.
Futuresound
thetwlo wrote:

Same. Weird.
luchog
arthurdent wrote:
I use both, interchangebly, no real reason how or why seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it

Yeah, I do something like that as well. It really depends on what I am saying. When I'm pronouncing the word on its own, I mostly tend to use "on", while in a sentence I'm more likely to use "en". But not always, sometimes that changes too.
cretaceousear
Is an onvelope shaper on when it's off?
deadrose
Kent wrote:

Moi aussi cool
Chrutil
I just call them ADSR's
TEKBRAIN
deadrose wrote:
Kent wrote:

Moi aussi cool

But when you say 'ON' in French, you are emphasizing an English accent of your French pronunciation.
TEKBRAIN
deadrose wrote:
Kent wrote:

Moi aussi cool

Listen to the sample at the start of the song Me So Horny by 2 Live Crew and you'll have a good approximation of the 'EN' of enveloppe in French. ;-)
fireclown
why cant I vote both? Rigged!
No "contour generator" option?
bigots.
cptnal
You're all wrong. They're functions. sad banana
Baderbuddy
thetwlo wrote:

This is kind of funny but I was about to post the same thing. On for a paper envelope and envelope for my adsr smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2