MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Selling practices philosopy is it different per culture?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Selling practices philosopy is it different per culture?
sleestack808
I have a situation where I bought a piece of gear from someone mediating a deal with an unknown seller in Italy. The mediator is in Switzerland.

In my mind I'm buying it from the mediator who offered to sell the piece if gear to me. It's their responsibility in my mind.

I get the piece if gear after it was held in customs here in the usa. I had to get this guy to start an inquiry with the Swiss post to get it moving again. (he calls me impatient for having him do that), I guess Im one of those busy bee Americans.

Then I get the gear and it is broken. I paid ostensibly for a working peice of gear, an MC-4 for 930 dollars plus shipping. If I knew it was broken I would have paid less, No?

But I find the 19 of the 21 keys on the keypad don't work. I ask the guy in Switzerland to get me 200 dollars from the guy in Italy to fix the MC-4.

Here is his reply to me
"Frank.
Don't know over there in the US, but here in Europe it's Sunday and ppl have their free days.
Can't you really be patient and let me do?
I think I already did very much for all this, replying to your compulsive emails about the package not being yet sent, and then about it not being yet delivered (which finally happened and was for sure not due to my inquiry!).
You seem to be impatient. Also, you don't realize that a 40 years old device will be working but cannot be perfect. I did my part in sourcing it, dealing with the seller in Italian (he doesn't speak English), trying to fit the shipping in your budget (which worked), taking care of a super packaging, making pictures to show you before shipping and so on. Now you blame it on me that some keypads don't work nicely?
You know by yourself that it's not my fault, so please avoid accusing me of things I didn't do.
I'm in touch with the seller and I leave him time to reply. And BTW: you told me not than once that you're broke. Well, if I'd be broke, I would not spend my money in vintage instruments. Everybody knows that a vintage device is quickly bought, but the repair and maintenance is additional money you gotta spend on it."

What do I do in this situation. I have this 21 year old telling me how things are but I have this huge notion he's full of shit
sleestack808
Do you accept sellers playing dumb about the condition of a unit? Ive had to deal with this a few times.
I didn't ask every question possible so it's my fault. When I sell something I go through everything so I don't end up in situations like this
kcd06
I'd say you have a problem with sellers and ""facilitators" who seem to be less that ethical, the sort that tends to be best addressed by a stint in jail or application of a baseball bat. No idea if that lack extends to anything in a legal liability way, but perhaps you can still contest the money transfer.
Joe.
Leave him a bad review, and move on.
UltraViolet
If the "mediator" is a dealer or someone that you paid to conduct the deal for you then you could be justified in blame. If the "mediator" was really just a translator helping the seller make the sale, then you need to blame the seller.

Sorry you got burned on the sale.
akairipper
have you opened it up? could be an easy fix, loose ic or cable, cant fint an internal view of one.
sleestack808
Well, I don't even know if there is an actual seller. He's a mystery man with cancer who doesn't speak English.

I gave him the moniker of mediator. The norther Italian Swiss guy is the seller to me. You take that responsibility when putting forth a sale.

Im trying to get fronted 200 bucks to get it fixed, otherwise I put up a bad review in a forum where google will log his name in a search forever. It's all I have.

I just needed other people too tell me Im not nuts
akairipper
oh, and if it was sold as working it should arrive as working, depends on the description given to you at time of sale, if it left working and arrived broken then its for him to claim on the insurance(good luck with that)
sleestack808
akairipper, It's the keypad. You have to desolder the switches open them up and clean them with fine grain sand paper. The inside contact and the rubber contact. I don't solder or desolder.. Id like to someday. If I had a bench and the faculty to do so I probably wouldn't be bothered by this. I have a local tech who is cool and will probably do it for 150 to 200 bucks.
GuyaGuy
I’m not sure what kind of mediator this is but I would hold the responsible the person who received my money. It’s the seller’s responsibility to get a piece to you in the described condition.

As for the culture question, this seems more like one guy who wants an easy commission with no hassle, but international vintage gear sales are not the best market for that. Then again we’re only hearing your side. For all we know you’ve been an asshole. lol
sleestack808
Its not a shipping issue. It is a common issue with MC-4's.. Just found that out. !
I just asked if it works, does it light up etc. So, yeah. He said it works and lights up. No implicit you should expect problems with an old pice of gear. ]

Maybe it's a European thing? Am I too much of an anal American?
sleestack808
Forget I used Mediator. He's not getting a commission as far as I know.. He said I have one for sale, He just had it sent to him from the guy who owned it because he did speak English. He won't even tell me his name. So this guy is the seller to me.
sleestack808
Forget I used Mediator. He's not getting a commission as far as I know.. I said I was looking for an MC-4 on Analog heaven forum. He said I have one for sale, He just had it sent to him from the guy who owned it because he did not speak English. He won't even tell me his name. So this "mediator" this is my name for him , totally informal, is the seller to me.
sleestack808
Im sure he would couch his response in favor of him. But this is how it went down. He really hates the impatience. Me emailing him to get fire under his ass to act. But id still be waiting for it if I didn't

Im not impatient. Only when I feel things are in peril. So Im a little annoying in that way. We got along fine until I fire that thing up and the triad and true playing dumb act started
sleestack808
Im starting to get the filing the "mediator" got the MC-4 for really cheap and his trying to hang onto his profit. I sent him the money via transfer wise. Some Euro PayPal thing
UltraViolet
sleestack808 wrote:
I sent him the money via transfer wise. Some Euro PayPal thing

Never heard of a problem with Euros and PayPal. I have bought things from sellers in Europe with PayPal. Some people don't want to use PayPal because of the fees they charge, but it seems more likely that the seller wanted to avoid the buyer protection it offers in this case.
darcmorcel
Just because you get screwed by a guy overseas doesn't automatically imply cultural differences. This wouldn't even come to my mind seriously, i just don't get it
sleestack808
Well I thought maybe I was being a bit rushy and Eurpeans like to take their time. and I quote "Don't know over there in the US, but here in Europe it's Sunday and ppl have their free days."
geoffmar
darcmorcel wrote:
Just because you get screwed by a guy overseas doesn't automatically imply cultural differences. This wouldn't even come to my mind seriously, i just don't get it

There are massive differences between Americans and Europeans (not to say even distant, non-related cultures). Having had a lot of experience with Italians in the tailoring sector, they are much more lax about shipping times, making things on time..etc. High end pant tailor once said that he hadn't gotten the orders done for the past month because "the weather had been nice and my friend has been visiting."

So yeah, there are huge cultural differences, even across europe. Americans tend to live in a bubble where everyone is "just like them." That's why they get suckered by natives vis-a-vis pricing in tourist hotspots.
sleestack808
I know of those differences, I don't live in a bubble. When you are being fucked with you question your own sanity and knowledge about things. Am I rushing to judgement. Is it a cultural thing etc.

This is just your standard international screw you.

Everywhere now sellers are too "dumb" to know if something works. Or whatever else excuse they can dream up
darcmorcel
sleestack808 wrote:
This is just your standard international screw you.

That is exactly what I meant.
But you got a more polite "screw you", coz you got it from a swiss guy lol
papz
Please don't make such an irrelevant generality.
This is not cultural nor related to location. You're wrong assuming this, like you were wrong dealing with this guy.
It's a matter of personality only.
There are crooks and suckers all over the world and they can meet easier than ever thanks to the interweb.
That's all.
charbot
Most Europeans take the concept of "Sundays Off" very seriously.

Fortunately, it sounds like the synth just has some dead keys- open it up and clean the membrane and contacts with some rubbing alcohol. ...or a loose cable like someone else said. Either way, its an easy fix.
papz
charbot wrote:
Most Europeans take the concept of "Sundays Off" very seriously.
Sure, living in Brooklyn is the best way to know which concepts most Europeans take very seriously. hihi
Of course most Europeans are, act and think the same, isn't it ? Just like most black people or most women ? meh
feedbackl00p
The problem is that youve made the mediator respsonsible for the transaction, but hes not paid anything to actually care about it, or do it in a timely manner.

He may have wanted to help, more than he was actually capable of helping or actually motivated to help.

The other alternative is that hes stitched you up, bought a broken version from elsewhere and paid himself the difference. He certainly sounds like a jackass in the emails.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2