MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lets Talk About Buchla Oscillators
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Lets Talk About Buchla Oscillators
buildafriend
Hi all w00t Dead Banana

I want to make a run of a few Buchla oscillators. What's the lineage here? What are the most sought after models and how did they ( if at all ) change over the years?

Pointers to resources about this are welcomed and highly appreciated SlayerBadger!

Cheers,
Guinness ftw!
Nejrup
There are a lot of threads on here with comparisons of Buchla oscillators if you search around, look at this one for example: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47024&sid=f448c0edc9 ab76f9fe3c634c583201e0

I guess the most sought after vintage oscillator (of the 200 series) have been the original 259. It have been cloned both as a replica and as a 1u version (25s)
Nejrup
For build notes and info, i would strongly recommend this site: https://modularsynthesis.com/roman/buchla.htm
anomie
Great pointers from Nejrup. If you're considering doing a run of OSCs, Studio H already does a *great* modernised remake of the 258, and Roman's 25s is, I believe, based on the 259. However, noone (including Buchla) is making a version of the 259e that tracks well over CV...
Synesthesia
anomie wrote:
Great pointers from Nejrup. If you're considering doing a run of OSCs, Studio H already does a *great* modernised remake of the 258, and Roman's 25s is, I believe, based on the 259. However, noone (including Buchla) is making a version of the 259e that tracks well over CV...

maybe this one did; )

https://modularsynthesis.com/buchla/259c/259c_vco.htm
hermbot
I've read that the Easel oscillators are somewhere between the 258 and the 259 in functionality and tone, and I don't think I've seen anyone attempt to package that pair outside of a full 208...
johnnywoods
There is a ton of opportunity in producing new 200 oscillators. The 258 and 259 variants seem relatively well covered. It might be nice to look at some other circuits that already exist and port them over to the 200. Like what they did with the DAO (MI Braids in 200 format).

The J3rk Ultrafade Oscillator or Mirror Core would be a super cool 200 module. You could even squeeze his pico vco in there as a mod source.
The Ian Fritz DoubleDeka and Teezer would be sweet too!
Happymastering
Wich module it would be to clone the 208 oscillators?
djs
johnnywoods wrote:
There is a ton of opportunity in producing new 200 oscillators. The 258 and 259 variants seem relatively well covered. It might be nice to look at some other circuits that already exist and port them over to the 200. Like what they did with the DAO (MI Braids in 200 format).

I'm in the beginning stages of building a MI Tides with the Sheep firmware in a 200 format. It's a personal project, but when it's further along I'll post some info on the DIY subforum. I think itD be a cool addition to my Buchla clone system.
Virusinstaller
So would this be for the DIY community??
Kent
The Buchla environment doesn't really beg for another 259 or 258 variant. There are many solid options available. Doug's 258h has got the 258 thing covered and is e-series compliant.

Keen Association's 268e quad oscillator is the only step in a new direction in quite some time. Verbos's 262v being another unique offering.

Going for something digital with novel sounds would be the only 'game-changer' in my book.
Please design in stability of tuning and decent scaling. The 259e is wonderful but is limited and somewhat frustrating due to it's lumpy scaling and resolution.
jo__dem
no one talking about the zeroscillator?
MindMachine
jo__dem wrote:

For a number of reasons I suppose, other than the fact it was a very complex, if not kludgey build.

I don't think it gets any better sounding than a J3rk 258.

buildafriend wrote:

I want to make a run of a few Buchla oscillators.

So are these for your own use or just to sell?
ndkent
jo__dem wrote:

fwiw it might not be talked about since while it was available in the Buchla format, it didn't originate as a Buchla vco, mind you I own 2 of them, though neither is Buchla format.
Kent
jo__dem wrote:

Feel free to talk about it! Go on; eleborate!
natureclubcassettes
loudestwarning includes 258s in a few of his panels
mutierend
I have the 259e, 261e, 258e, 268e in my 18U, and a 259r sitting unused (for now) in a separate boat. I don't have a DAO but I have used Braids.

What I would love, but it will 100% never happen, is a Buchla-format version of the Club of the Knobs 1621 Morphable Wavefront Oscillator, which is MU format. It comprises two Moog 921-style oscillators with waveshaping and a built-in effects mode for adding harmonics to the signal path, intended to be used with filters. I have one in my MU cabinet, but I haven't used it with my 200e. Yet.

Digital oscillators, like the aforementioned DAO and 268e, are where you can bring something new to the platform. Even repaneled versions of eurorack or MU sound modules with Buchla flavor would be a welcome addition, and we can't expect sempervirent to do it all!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1