MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Synthesist's Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author The Synthesist's Synthesizer
Koryo
I would like to open this post as a discussion pertaining to what hardware offers a very diverse range of sonic capability in a fun to use package.

To minimize overlap and some backstory:
I already have a not so modest modular collection. The stand out VCOs are an Intellijel - Shapeshifter, Radikal Technologies Swarm Oscillator and RT-1701 EFFEXX, 1010 Music - BitBox, and Synthstrom - Deluge.

Three hardware pieces I already own, Accses - Virus A, Yamaha - FS1R, and a Linnstrument.

The goal is to have a modular live show, sequenced via the Deluge with the possibility of having this poly synth along for the ride, but most definitely for sound design in the studio. Poly preferred. Old/new, don't care that much. Prefer not to have some hyper expensive vintage unit. Analog or digital, totally don't care. Smallish would be a bonus. MPE is important. Would be cool if it could simulate a piano.

My shortlist as of this writing:
Waldorf - Quantum
Novation - Peak
Sequential - Prophet X
Kurzweil

I should leverage The Deluge... but having a dedicated synth sounds fun too.
rean1mator
I will wholeheartedly recommend the Quantum. Beast of a synth. The range of sounds it can achieve is amazing. With more to come, once Waldorf updates with the new synth engine - Kernel Synthesis???

It's not just the range of sounds, it's also the quality of sounds - as well as it's ability to sit really well in the mix.

I'm wondering if they will release a desktop version of this. Hoping so, because the keyboars is huge!!
Dave Peck
If you can find one, a Nord Modular G2 with DSP expander card to increase the polyphony. Massively complex sound creation capabilities. Excellent user interface, both for patching and live performance. Even better would be G2X with the larger keyboard, but harder to find.
Koryo
Nord Modular G2

Thoughts: Yeah, very cool. Deep. Didn't know about this synth. Might be a little too video gamey, or that might just be CUCKOO's patch preferences.

Waldorf - Quantum

Thoughts: This vid just blew me away. I recently discovered that the presentation was strongly inspired by JEXSUS. Mad props to COSMA. He says in the vid notes that only one key was pressed. Just don't tell Alessandro Cortini.

Novation - Peak

Thoughts: I really didn't think the Peak had the chops to keep up with the monster expensive, massive, top tier synth behemoths. It's a heck of a value.

Sequential - Prophet X

Thoughts: I just trust Katsunori UJIIE but I have nothing to base that on. Anywho, he says many times in the demo that the X sounds amazing, incredible, beautiful...

Synthstrom - Deluge

As a Deluge owner, I can tell you it's only getting more powerful with responsive developers and a revision update every year or so. I really should utilize this tool more fully.

smile
drxcm
I haven’t tried one in the flesh, but for me, this space is owned by John Bowen’s Solaris.

Next in line, Prophet X and Quantum. I’ve owned both and kept the Prophet
Unborn Gore
MEK/PEK

Two analog oscillators and two digital oscillators per voice. Once you switch out the original malfunctioning potentiometers, it has an amazing array of in-your-face controls, plus menu diving for when you want mod madness. Two distortions, and three delays. Three envelopes, and four LFOs assignable to almost everything else. All of the PPG’s waveteables included.

https://youtu.be/G8z9hVHHnOs
booger
Unborn Gore wrote:
MEK/PEK

Two analog oscillators and two digital oscillators per voice. Once you switch out the original malfunctioning potentiometers, it has an amazing array of in-your-face controls, plus menu diving for when you want mod madness. Two distortions, and three delays. Three envelopes, and four LFOs assignable to almost everything else. All of the PPG’s waveteables included.

https://youtu.be/G8z9hVHHnOs

Copy that. The Desktop Evolver is about as modular as you can get before actually going modular. I assume the PEK can get bananas if you have the patience to enter that rabbit hole.
MindMachine
Koryo wrote:
Nord Modular G2

Thoughts: Yeah, very cool. Deep. Didn't know about this synth. Might be a little too video gamey, or that might just be CUCKOO's patch preferences.

Love that dude. He seems genuine in this day and age. He seems tired in this one.
calaveras
I recently went down a rabbit hole trying to find a ne plus ultra poly synth for myself.
One thing I picked up on pretty quickly is that a lot of synths, 'on paper' have a ton of specs which make them appear to be amazing synths with devastating sound design capabilities.
But in actual use don't sound very good.
For example, a lot of the DSI synths I tried out were capable of mind boggling modulation routing. But frankly the sound is very 2 dimensional. Similar to comparing a Juno 6 to an Alpha Juno. The exceptions I found were the PRophet 6 and OB6. Not sure what they are doing differently about those synths? But there is somehow more detail to the sounds or at least it seems that way to my old ears.

Likewise for the Sub37 compared to the Grandmother. Those are both very capable synths, but the Sub37 just seems to be not terribly punchy and kind of icky. The Grandmother is kind of ugly/retro-cool visually, but I really liked the vibe of it's basic sound. Which only got better with more patching.
(I really might buy one of these with my tax refund)
Dave Peck
MindMachine wrote:
Koryo wrote:
Nord Modular G2

Love that dude. He seems genuine in this day and age. He seems tired in this one.

Yeah IMO that demo is not a very good representation of what a G2 can do. But it would be hard to make one since the G2 can cover such a vast terrain of sounds and behaviors.
hex
The Quantum looks like a lot of fun with lots of possibilities for sound design.
rew_
calaveras wrote:
The exceptions I found were the Prophet 6 and OB6. Not sure what they are doing differently about those synths?

VCOs instead of DCOs and (much moreso imo) Prophet/SEM filters instead of the curtis filter. The curtis filter was, I believe, on every DSI synth until the Pro 2 came out.
calaveras
rew_ wrote:
calaveras wrote:
The exceptions I found were the Prophet 6 and OB6. Not sure what they are doing differently about those synths?

VCOs instead of DCOs and (much moreso imo) Prophet/SEM filters instead of the curtis filter. The curtis filter was, I believe, on every DSI synth until the Pro 2 came out.

Filter plays a huge part of course. But I swear the OB6 and P6 sound swankier even with filter wide open.
I think the VCA and mixer amp are better on these as well. Likewise for the Grandmother.
The P12 and P8 certainly have their places. There is something to be said though, for backing tracks not sounding as rich and full as leads or whatever.

ps I'll have to check out the Pro 2!
Red Electric Rainbow
Nord Leads are pretty powerful too.
TheRosskonian
Koryo wrote:
Smallish would be a bonus. MPE is important.

Although it does not quite weigh up to the bigger synths listed in this thread, but I have been enjoying the Modor NF-1M lately. Tons of functionality per physical square inch. You also have a full knobby version in the NF-1, but after watching a video posted by another wiggler in the NF-1M thread, I found the workflow to be good. Both support MPE. Not as comparable on paper, but it killed my lust for a couple of the bigger synths listed here.
strangeowl
I love the novation peak.

It's sound design capabilities are surprisingly powerful. Especially with the update where the fx have a mod matrix too (and the extra wavetables). Not mad expensive, intuitive design (there's some menus and I don't like menus but these actually don't bother me so much), lots of buttons, great sound.

I also have a prophet rev2, which I also like. I had an 8 before but never connected with it. Granted, in between ditching the 8 and getting the rev2 I had a couple years of piano lessions which make polysynths much more useful. But still, somehow I believe the rev2 sounds much better too. But this is based on my memory of the 8 which I didn't connect with for other reasons.
digitalganesha
drxcm wrote:

The one thing that I'm dying to know about the Prophet X is... how much mangling/twisting/sound design can be done with the sample section. I never came across a demo that shows any wildness with that specific area (if it's possible) yet. Could you shed some insight on this?
Koryo
I think the Moog - One should be added to this list.
gonkulator
drxcm wrote:
I haven’t tried one in the flesh, but for me, this space is owned by John Bowen’s Solaris.

thumbs up
acidbob
Great post, if i had the money the quantum would be #1. I just bought a used peak but I am only just now going to pick it up, but to me it sounds great, some of the online demos are rubbish. For DSI i am only impressed with the ob6, I do have an old tetra and i only bought it because it resembles the matrix1000 in sound, sort of. Let us know what you decide on
acidbob
Didnt the nord have processor problems, synths dying out of the blue
acidbob
Ok, I got the Peak and had a go at it, and shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! This synth is incredible, wow! I cant explain but it fits my music perfectly. Dont know what to say, other than love MY ASS IS BLEEDING
pizzatime
Ah cool, I'm tempted by the Peak - I know you just got it but do you think it can do weird, experimental well?

Trying to decide between Peak, Microwave XT or maybe even the Roland JD-XA - I haven't heard anything and thought wow from the Peak though and was thinking it may somehow sound great but be a bit too straight or refined but reading the specs it must have serious sound design potential..

I would probably get the Quantum if money was no object but I'm not sure about the sound - would be worried it is close to the Blofeld - too glassy and distant for me.

My vote would be the Yamaha MOD-X for sound design monster - I think the best sounding synth I have heard - can make bizarre sound worlds on this thing.
calaveras
Got my Tax Return. So now I am looking around, aaaaand. Nothing is in my range still.
NotHerbert
I just read that Kurzweil is coming out with a PC4. I have an old PC3, and Kurzweil's VAST engine is just a small step short of being a virtual modular. Not the most user-friendly interface on the PC3, but given the size of the screen and the complexity of the engine, it's not too bad. I imagine it will be improved on the new one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2