MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

STG Soundlabs Oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author STG Soundlabs Oscillator
suitandtieguy
Hey guys. Most of you know me, most by voice, many are my friends.

Last year I put everything into a new power supply design, and before that was done gave even more of myself to make a VCO happen in time for NAMM.

it was ambitious. i wanted to combine a completely modern analogue VCO core which didn't need HF compensation with a digital tuning system to allow for octave and semitone controls on potentiometers instead of rotary switches, and an integrated drift generator to model the behaviour we imagine the devices of our past actually having.

here is the fruit. it is currently working:

this is what the layout will look like in Moog format. it will be done at the same time as the final eurorack version:

just like Digital Attenuators, this is an STG Soundlabs specification and a WMD engineering job. you guys know this is going to work.

Those of you who trust me, who know i will deliver this, take a look at this link. I think it is going to be about 295 USD retail when all is said and done, and if you're willing to wait with me, you can have as many as you want for 245 USD per:

http://stgsoundlabs.com/products/vco_mu.htm
bwhittington
Nice to see these coming to 5U! Really enjoyed the dive bomber tuning of the second vid. Seems like a fun choice for a 1mu vco.
josaka
always great to have new osc..! and 1u !
great work!

the spread does sound very good.. moreso than other osc..?
does the 'modulation' mod the pwm or the 'spread'?
shame you cant have both.. or switch.?.smile

as with a lot here I would like to hear them A/B with other osc and no effects..
thumbs up
Synth Con Meo
Yeah I am looking forward to some comparisons to other OSC. I like the idea of the drift. I might just "invest" in it anyway. Of course that will push me to needing another cabinet now that I will be filling in the rest of my current open spaces with a STG Time Suite. But that's ok, more fun to be had.
jupiter8
suitandtieguy wrote:
this is what the layout will look like in Moog format. it will be done at the same time as the final eurorack version:

And by that time you have corrected the typo on the panel, right?
josaka
jupiter8 wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

A new word.. I quite like it.
JohnLRice
jupiter8 wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

d'oh! Man, I had to stare at that for a long time and research a couple words just to figure out this "mystery"! meh

From https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/387761/is-syncronization-p roscribed-or-misspelled

to synchronize: Oxford British spelling (and likely American spelling too)
to synchronise: non-Oxford British spelling
to syncronize: computing or proscribed alternative of synchronize
to syncronise: misspelling of synchronise

Anyways, module looks and sounds great, Suit! thumbs up
suitandtieguy
well i guess your first reaction to the most advanced analogue VCO in Moog format can be "I don't like how he spells hard sync" Guinness ftw!
kindredlost
I may get a few of these too. I have two of the Euro versions on order but this will be a great addition to the 5U.

The “spread” and “modulation” doesn’t affect PWM. Suit & Tie Guy offers the pulse divider module which will be a good way to do that along with the Wave Folder module. Combining all STG modules is going to be a lot of fun.

The sub-oscillator and sync function is another unique aspect of the design which I’m curious to explore.
Suit And Tie Guy! Suit And Tie Guy! Suit And Tie Guy!
Faustgeist
Looking forward to this!
Conjure
Awesome
steffengrondahl
Sounds and looks really great thumbs up Now you can get a full synthesizer (VCO, VCF, VCA, EG, mixer and sequencer and more) from Suit And Tie Guy! nanners

A few questions:
Is control input 1 V/oct?
Is modulation input exponential FM?
Is syncronise hard sync? (Edit: Answer above, it is hard sync)

I suppose the Pulse Matrix is the perfect companion module if you want PWM.
kcd06
Quote:
"I don't like how he spells hard sync"

Theres a lot in life for which one might recieve criticsm*, and this is likely the sort that can be readily accommodated/sent to committee for evaluation and response. Also, two of these could fit nicely in the space currently occupied by a FSFX Braids osc....

*yes, this was deliberate
kindredlost
I'll take one (for now)... monies sent.
kindredlost
Synth Con Meo wrote:
Yeah I am looking forward to some comparisons to other OSC. I like the idea of the drift. I might just "invest" in it anyway. Of course that will push me to needing another cabinet now that I will be filling in the rest of my current open spaces with a STG Time Suite. But that's ok, more fun to be had.

I'm with you on the new cabinet. My STG stuff has ballooned to the point that it will not fit into a single cab anymore.

I think I might try to section the sequencer stuff in one and the sound modules into another. I want to hear a VCO, Wavefolder, EG's, Digital Attenuators, Mixer, filters (PL-LPF and Sea Devils), Gate Delay and (soon) a Pulse Matrix working on a few sounds.

Eric is giving us a complete synth voice finally after all these years and it is done in epic fashion.
kindredlost
It's good to see Suit & Tie Guy has been busy making progress in a musical way towards the ultimate "Radiophonic" setup. The new VCO is a final cherry on the sundae.

Back-In-The-Day (over a decade ago) there was this 5U treat without an oscillator. This system has come a long way since then. Thank you STG Soundlabs!

Any further (bowel) movement on this intriguing, refreshingly minimalist device? First person accounts? Moar soundz?
MARK27
suitandtieguy wrote:
Hey guys. Most of you know me, most by voice, many are my friends.

I spoke to S&TG once, for twenty minutes, after he repaired my Mankato filter (for free). As far as I am concerned, he and I are bonded by blood, in this life and the next.
sduck
The demos sound great!
modmax69
I just ordered a couple, really like the sounds on the demos
JohnLRice
modmax69 wrote:
I also ordered a couple a while back. w00t I wonder when they will start shipping? hyper
modmax69
JohnLRice wrote:
modmax69 wrote:
I also ordered a couple a while back. w00t I wonder when they will start shipping? hyper

Today. I hope applause
umma gumma
that looks pretty cool!
kindredlost
JohnLRice wrote:
modmax69 wrote:

Me too. Some in MU and Euro. I wouldn't worry too much. It is usual to take time with STG but I have never been let down by the delivery or (especially) the quality. Anything worth while is worth waiting for. Suit And Tie Guy!

I have many vco's which use rotary switch pots for octave setting. These can be problematic with glitchy behavior. Some have a "course" knob for wide sweeping (which is great too if you hav the time for a tuner) but this one has a beautiful course encoder knob to dial in the octave and semitone switching and a very useful detuning knob for color. Nothing else like it out there period!

Oh, and by the way... you should get yourself a Sea Devil's filter if you want the ultimate metallic and vintage 70's sound.
modmax69
kindredlost wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
modmax69 wrote:

Me too. Some in MU and Euro. I wouldn't worry too much. It is usual to take time with STG but I have never been let down by the delivery or (especially) the quality. Anything worth while is worth waiting for. Suit And Tie Guy!

I have many vco's which use rotary switch pots for octave setting. These can be problematic with glitchy behavior. Some have a "course" knob for wide sweeping (which is great too if you hav the time for a tuner) but this one has a beautiful course encoder knob to dial in the octave and semitone switching and a very useful detuning knob for color. Nothing else like it out there period!

Oh, and by the way... you should get yourself a Sea Devil's filter if you want the ultimate metallic and vintage 70's sound.

I have the Sea Devil's filter. It's one of my favorites. Hopefully soon after Knobcon these VCO's will start shipping
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1