MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Soundtronics/MFOS Midi Ultimate
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Soundtronics/MFOS Midi Ultimate
Eric the Red
Good Afternoon fellow wigglers,

I am planning on purchasing the Soundtronics/MFOS Midi Ultimate as a PCB, but before I do that, I have a few questions.

(I have reached out to Soundtronics - through their webform on the webpage, and Synthcube through their forum here on Muffs, but I haven’t received an answer yet... hoping you fine folks can help out)

Question 1) can you modify this thing? It is currently set up to have all switches to use for routing a patch instead of jacks/patch cables. I would like to create a patchbay as a 2-3-4u panel (like the MOog Mother has) to break the normalization’s that are hard wired into the existing board.

Question 2) even if I were to buy the panel, which I wasn’t o landing on doing it still requires some DIY’ing, which is kind of a shit move..(see below). Do they give out panel files so I can use it to get my own made?

Quote from their site: A 1.6mm thick MIDI Ultimate Synth panel - 5U high, 10U wide (nominal 8.75 x 17.5") made from a semi-rigid plastic material laser engraved to give a hard wearing surface. As a material, it is not suitable for being used without some form of rigid backing material (see below).
White artwork on a black background

We find that when using our panel mounting components such as pots and sockets, you can mount this panel to a rigid backboard ideally 3mm thick. The backboard can be plywood or Aluminium (6082T6 or 5251 H22 grades as these are 'stiffer' than low grade 1050 types) for example and the panel component fixings will hold the two layers together. We supply 5251 3mm back panel 7215-874 to suit this front panel.

Question 3: can this fir in a Box11. I know the panel is MOTM and the drill holes won’t line up perfectly, but, will it physically fit?

Thanks for the help guys!

My next stop after this is to email Synthcube directly as they helped Soundtronics develop this thing.
synthcube
hello guys

Soundtronics are the main designers so the majority of the answers will come from them...

FWIW its a really neat project and a well-thought refresh on Ray Wilson's classic design. Soundtronics have always been good partners since we acquired MFOS, including paying royalties on this project which flow through to Ray's family.

For Question 2, this is the system they use for all of their panels-- we've seen panels and the backing, and it works--

hope this helps, and do keep us posted when you hear from Paul and team... thanks!
JanneI
One heads up for this VCO design... if you check the schematics you see that the reference voltages for the VCO are taken straight from the rails, which isn't ideal. Add bunch of current hungry state-changing LEDs and you might get constant square FM'd VCO. It would really benefit from LM4040 type of voltage reference circuitry, imho.
Paul Cooper
Eric the Red wrote:

(I have reached out to Soundtronics - through their webform on the webpage, and Synthcube through their forum here on Muffs, but I haven’t received an answer yet... hoping you fine folks can help out)

Question 1) can you modify this thing? It is currently set up to have all switches to use for routing a patch instead of jacks/patch cables. I would like to create a patchbay as a 2-3-4u panel (like the MOog Mother has) to break the normalization’s that are hard wired into the existing board.

Question 2) even if I were to buy the panel, which I wasn’t o landing on doing it still requires some DIY’ing, which is kind of a shit move..(see below). Do they give out panel files so I can use it to get my own made?

Quote from their site: A 1.6mm thick MIDI Ultimate Synth panel - 5U high, 10U wide (nominal 8.75 x 17.5") made from a semi-rigid plastic material laser engraved to give a hard wearing surface. As a material, it is not suitable for being used without some form of rigid backing material (see below).
White artwork on a black background

We find that when using our panel mounting components such as pots and sockets, you can mount this panel to a rigid backboard ideally 3mm thick. The backboard can be plywood or Aluminium (6082T6 or 5251 H22 grades as these are 'stiffer' than low grade 1050 types) for example and the panel component fixings will hold the two layers together. We supply 5251 3mm back panel 7215-874 to suit this front panel.

Question 3: can this fir in a Box11. I know the panel is MOTM and the drill holes won’t line up perfectly, but, will it physically fit?

Hi Eric, we have no queries from you via our website so not sure what has happened there.
I have just answered your post on another thread which will go some way to answering your above questions but for completeness, here is a quick summary:

Q1, Always possible to modify but be prepared for lots of panel wiring as the design intent for the EPE magazine was for a relatively simply construction for beginners by having all controls PCB mounted.

Q2, I can make a PDF of the front panel available, not a problem. Our front panel construction is I believe unique but does allow us to produce front panels in-house. At Synthfest last November, I had other synth companies compliment us on how good the panels look, one was considering ditching their existing panel manufacturer and use us instead.

Q3, Not having a box-11 I cannot be certain but what I can say is that the panel is 5Ux10U and when assembled as designed (all controls panel mounted), the depth needed behind the panel is from memory is around 30mm. Our cases have around 55mm of internal depth and there is room for the eight 1/4" jack sockets behind the PCB.

Feel free to post any further questions and I will do my best to answer them.
Paul Cooper
JanneI wrote:
One heads up for this VCO design... if you check the schematics you see that the reference voltages for the VCO are taken straight from the rails, which isn't ideal. Add bunch of current hungry state-changing LEDs and you might get constant square FM'd VCO. It would really benefit from LM4040 type of voltage reference circuitry, imho.

Good point but as the MIDI Ultimate only has 5 LEDs each drawing just a few mA and is powered from its own regulated linear power supply with 20,000uF of caps per rail plus loads of decoupling caps (100nF and 100uF) spread throughout the main PCB, there has not been any problems with voltage stability.
Eric the Red
Order placed! Looking forward to getting my hands on this in the next few weeks
fuzzbass
JanneI wrote:

I built a Soundlab Ultimate, and it does not exhibit any such issue.
Paul Cooper
Eric the Red wrote:
Order placed! Looking forward to getting my hands on this in the next few weeks

Thank you Eric. It will ship out on Monday so hopefully with you within the week if the postal system does their bit!
Robber40
Hi there! Who else did build the Soundtronics Midi Ultimate?

synthcube
that is lovely!!!! thank you for sharing it!
ashleym
As a fellow MFOS Ultimate builder, I can only say this we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1