MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OB6/P6 resale market?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  

Bu-but Why?
Prophet X, for all you Gen X guys
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Its taxes
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Have you even heard Sylenth?
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
no really, it's taxes
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author OB6/P6 resale market?
calaveras
It's kind of got me spooked. But why are there suddenly OB6 and P6 keyboards all over the local Craigslist?
I've got an OB6 and aside from a few little glitches, I am still in love with this 3 months later. It has me scratching my head that people are dumping theirs on the used market. What is out there that even competes?
There are other DSI synths, but I find them all to be a lot more flat sounding than these two.
Also the Moogs and Waldorfs which are remotely close are a lot more!
tehyar
Because Behringer. razz
rean1mator
if you is happy with yours who cares?
i've got an ob6 love it, no plans to sell it, it's a keeper for sure.

if you are afraid it's not the cool kid's synth any more then sell it and get the next cool synth. the waldorf quantum if pretty freaking dope.
nolongerhuman
I’d guess that a lot of people took advantage of sales around Black Friday, and have had enough time to relialize they can’t/don’t want to afford it.

I have a P6, I think it’s amazing. It’s never going anywhere.
CF3
More than likely just the usual never ending, chasing the dragon, gas-syndrome.... sell one toy to get a new shiny toy.
phesago
Ill agree with the GAS statement.

I mean I would love to have an ob6 but IDK if I want to spend 2k even on a used one. Hell, ive stopped giving a shit about new and best and now am just mainly concerned with specific functions/features.
bobbylandry
I'm selling mine but it's cause I've got a module and like it enough to want a keyboard.
Kja
Probably to buy a Moog one.
nectarios
Probably because of the Behringer OB poly that will eventually come and will cost less than half.
chvad
They just all realized they can't program patches worth a piss that's all. I've had both for a good long while and will continue to do.
goldplate
They're really expensive instruments... when you need cash and look in your studio what you may get rid of, they may be the ones. And it's a circle.. you do it knowing that there are always some for sale so when you will again have money you would easily get one again.
calaveras
nectarios wrote:
Probably because of the Behringer OB poly that will eventually come and will cost less than half.

It would be quite foolhardy to sell a synth in hand, in anticipation of a synth that is not yet out.

I'm not selling my OB6 anytime soon. It fulfills my sound design needs quite well. I more often than not feel I am not worthy of such an instrument.

The weird thing about all the P6/OB6 ads I keep seeing is that the prices are only a touch less than retail. Who is going to pay $2800 for a used $3000 synth? You are foregoing warranty, and getting a synth with someone elses grubby fingerprints all over it to save less than 10%. Crazy.
My understanding with used gear is that once you open that box, 30% of the value goes up in vapor.
rean1mator
Absolutely no one in buying those synths for that much.
There was a guy locally in SF trying to sell an OB6 keyboard for $2400 for over 8 months, in mint condition, I don't think he ever sold it for that price.

I paid $2300 brand new from Proaudiostar for mine.

calaveras wrote:
nectarios wrote:

It would be quite foolhardy to sell a synth in hand, in anticipation of a synth that is not yet out.

I'm not selling my OB6 anytime soon. It fulfills my sound design needs quite well. I more often than not feel I am not worthy of such an instrument.

The weird thing about all the P6/OB6 ads I keep seeing is that the prices are only a touch less than retail. Who is going to pay $2800 for a used $3000 synth? You are foregoing warranty, and getting a synth with someone elses grubby fingerprints all over it to save less than 10%. Crazy.
My understanding with used gear is that once you open that box, 30% of the value goes up in vapor.
calaveras
I got mine for $2500 'open box' with full warranty and even on a payment plan.
So yeah I laugh at these attempts.
I'll freely admit I get annoyed at people who litter up CL with such ads. But it's a nominally free country...
nectarios
calaveras wrote:
nectarios wrote:

I don't think so in this case. Behringer have announced the OB clone/re-issue/whatever, poly synth. They've been posting its progress. So, the people that don't dislike Behringer, will have a much cheaper option, than then OB-6, for their Oberheim poly sounds, and by selling the OB-6, they have some cash on the side to spend on something else too.

Not foolish at all if you don't hate Behringer.
nangu
Quote:
why are there suddenly OB6 and P6 keyboards all over

Maybe it’s partly because everybody has waaay more keyboards than space for them, so they’re replacing the keyboards with the module versions?
tehyar
nangu wrote:
Quote:

Maybe it’s partly because everybody has waaay more keyboards than space for them, so they’re replacing the keyboards with the module versions?

Heh, I would love to do this.
nangu
I did it. Had an opportunity to buy a P6 keyboard at a great price - at the same time that I knew somebody semi-local who wanted to trade a module plus cash for a keyboard. So I had the (very nice) keyboard for maybe 24 hours before meeting the guy at a Burger King and doing the swap.

This was back when the module version was relatively new, so I took what looked like a big hit against the relative list prices. And totally didn’t care- it was the right thing to do- for me, anyway.
AdamJay
My P6 gas was cured by the U-He Repro sale that NI promoted.

It's not a sound I need enough to merit the expense of buying the hardware, and my 2016 MacBook Pro does fine with it on CPU.
I use a couple banks of the MIDI Fighter Twister to program it.

If I owned one, I probably would have sold it eventually.
nectarios
nangu wrote:
Quote:

Actually, this makes the most sense. I would have done the same.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1