MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analog Plug-in Cards for Eurorack / Modular???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Analog Plug-in Cards for Eurorack / Modular???
snercle
Wondering if anyone does this sort of thing for modular?

The idea would be to have a "port" module which allows you to swap analog drum synthesis cards on the fly.

Here's the layout I'm working with so far :

It would be based on the cards for the Model I, which you can read about here

Lemme know Guinness ftw!
adam
there is a module for 500 series colour cards i think
snercle
adam wrote:
there is a module for 500 series colour cards i think

Ah yeah thanks. Not quite the same though. .
Think these could be interesting modules when combined with a trigger sequencer
SoundPool
hmm... from my own point of view I think I wouldn't want to have the circuits exposed if there was no need to. Just because having something sticking out when eurorack is already tight isn't so appealing, but also higher risk of damage, interference, portability, so on... if I wouldn't hot swap a module in general I don't think I would want to hot swap part of one either. I think it would make more sense for have a PCB that could be swapped behind the panel if at all. Most folks seem to build different or multiple drum modules if they want different sounds anyway.

That said I really liked the sound of some of your drum machine- if they could be built in Eurorack or 4u to have those sounds even if we want just one of them or don't need the sequencer I think it would be super nice.
snercle
SoundPool wrote:
hmm... from my own point of view I think I wouldn't want to have the circuits exposed if there was no need to. Just because having something sticking out when eurorack is already tight isn't so appealing, but also higher risk of damage, interference, portability, so on... if I wouldn't hot swap a module in general I don't think I would want to hot swap part of one either. I think it would make more sense for have a PCB that could be swapped behind the panel if at all. Most folks seem to build different or multiple drum modules if they want different sounds anyway.

That said I really liked the sound of some of your drum machine- if they could be built in Eurorack or 4u to have those sounds even if we want just one of them or don't need the sequencer I think it would be super nice.

Great points. Thanks SoundPool FUUUCCKKKK!!!
The drum generators would make really good modules yeah, that would also allow more control (cv etc) of the sound so I'm into that thumbs up
loderbast
i might be interested in something like that (but i am building a gene model i - otherwise i probably would prefere building seperate modules for different drums.)

@snercle: care to elaborate, how you choose to design the interface between the plugin cards and the rest of the circuit??
i assume there is trigger in, audio out, +/-12v power
but what about the two pots?
are there just two cv inputs on the plugin card?

(i didn't have a close enough look at the gene model i schematic yet to figure this out on my own)
snercle
loderbast wrote:
i might be interested in something like that (but i am building a gene model i - otherwise i probably would prefere building seperate modules for different drums.)

@snercle: care to elaborate, how you choose to design the interface between the plugin cards and the rest of the circuit??
i assume there is trigger in, audio out, +/-12v power
but what about the two pots?
are there just two cv inputs on the plugin card?

(i didn't have a close enough look at the gene model i schematic yet to figure this out on my own)

Yes CV usually requires more components, so to keep the cards small I simply wired up the circuit straight to the potentiometers. So the pinout is :

+12v
GND
-12v
Trig in
Output 1
Output 2
Pot 1 ccw
Pot 1 cen
Pot 1 cw
Pot 2 ccw
Pot 2 cen
Pot 2 cw

Pot 1 is 100k linear
Pot 2 is 500k linear

The cards only have contacts on one side, so there it would be possible to have more connections in future spinning
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1