MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help patching deceptively simple sound!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Help patching deceptively simple sound!
dooj88
Hey all! I'm trying to patch up something similar to what is going on in the background of this show (From "The Fabric of the Cosmos: The Illusion of Time")

[s]https://soundcloud.com/dszeles/ls111860-nova-fabric/s-jCkqj[/s]

Anyway, it's deceptively simple, and I just can't nail it!

My approach was to take a pulsewave in LFO mode (same tempo as the pulsing), run it through Blinds to attenuate and polarize it. Sent that output to a uScale to quanize it, then sent that to an oscillator. Oscillator went through a filter with heavy cutoff to shave off all top end. Then i used pressure points to change the offset of Blinds to manually sequence it before the quantizer. Needs tweaking to get same notes, but the idea is there.

But the oscillator just come out flat. Nothing like that warm pulsing fluffy thing linked in soundcloud.. I'm thinking he (the composer is Ed Tomney) might be using a chord pad? Considered using the Shapeshifter in chord mode, but i'm not its sound can get there.. Or is he using some kind of subtle shimmer effect? I've been at this a bit, but feeling frustrated. I do have 3 or 4 other oscillators i could stack into a chord as well if somone's ear is good enough to break down what's going on.

Any ideas? (aside from emailing him to ask, though I'm nearly there twisted )
JohnLRice
hmmm..... To me it just sounds like a pretty basic patch, 2 to 3 sine or triangle VCOs tuned to a chord mixed through a LPF and then to a VCA. Open up the VCA with some initial gain so it doesn't completely close down (same with the filter) and then modulate the LPF and/or VCA with a triangle LFO through an attenuator. Then put the VCA output through two reverbs in series, set the first reverb to a room and maybe 30 to 60 % wet and then the second reverb to a longer hall or cathedral but only 10 to 25% wet.

This is totally of the top of my head without trying it so I may be a little to totally off! oops Good luck with it! thumbs up
dooj88
d'oh! thanks, john. i'm missing the VCA action here.

been away from the modular for a bit while building a bigger case studio case.. yeah, that's it. out of practice. nevermind the pulse wave sequence bit i mentioned above...

i'll stack a few more oscillators tuned to a chord as well.
JohnLRice
dooj88 wrote:
d'oh! thanks, john. i'm missing the VCA action here.

been away from the modular for a bit while building a bigger case studio case.. yeah, that's it. out of practice. nevermind the pulse wave sequence bit i mentioned above...

i'll stack a few more oscillators tuned to a chord as well.
cool
Gizmo
Sounds like organ chords through the tremolo of a Fender Pro Reverb.
MindMachine
Gizmo wrote:
Sounds like organ chords through the tremolo of a Fender Pro Reverb.

Yes. My Yamaha YC Reface does this all by itself with no added external effects.

BUT - forgot this is in the modular section, so yeah, triangle or square filtered right with some modulation.
Flareless
@Dooj88 - nice sound thanks for sharing. I'm always looking out for something new to try to get a Patching for a Sunday Afternoon session started.

JohnLRice wrote:
hmmm..... To me it just sounds like a pretty basic patch, 2 to 3 sine or triangle VCOs tuned to a chord mixed through a LPF and then to a VCA. Open up the VCA with some initial gain so it doesn't completely close down (same with the filter) and then modulate the LPF and/or VCA with a triangle LFO through an attenuator. Then put the VCA output through two reverbs in series, set the first reverb to a room and maybe 30 to 60 % wet and then the second reverb to a longer hall or cathedral but only 10 to 25% wet.

This is totally of the top of my head without trying it so I may be a little to totally off! oops Good luck with it! thumbs up

As always thank you John for sharing your expertise! This is how I'll start. I've already got some cool sequences set up that I was wondering how to expand on.

MindMachine wrote:
BUT - forgot this is in the modular section, so yeah, triangle or square filtered right with some modulation.

Nearly spit my coffee out on this one lol thumbs up
Gizmo
MindMachine wrote:
forgot this is in the modular section

Yeah, I know, I know. But sometimes it's good to remember that there are alternatives. BTW, anybody have a decent cowbell patch?
WisdomWriter
@dooj88. To me it can be done in multiple ways but the easiest I think would be to have a wine or triangle, depending on what harmonic content you want, Run it through one filter. Then run that to vca and mdolate the time running into vca with an lfo.

Or what you could do is run sin/tri through filter
Then run that out to another filter and modulate cutoff on second filter. You can choose diff filter modes that way with more control.

If you want to be able to vary the lfo to speed up or slow down at a point you can use an envelope to mod the rate of your lfo so there’s more character. Just depends.

Deuces
SlayerBadger!
electricanada
Sounds like tremolo to me: modulation into the volume VCA. Or to get fancy, like the "harmonic tremolo" guitar pedals--modulation alternating between two filter VCAs.
dooj88
yeah, i just almost never do AM, so i didn't think of it. John was right.

here's what i came up with for shits and giggles. dr octature in an FM feedback path through planar and JAG. then a bunch of already modulated bits from radio music and morphagene are mangled a little more.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1