MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommend a kit!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Recommend a kit!
tioJim
Hi

I've some time off soon. I fancy getting out the soldering iron and building something. Needs to be minimum fuss so no hunting for rare parts or overly complex calibration though I am an experienced builder and I don't mind if it's big. Would be nice if it comes with an enclosure or one is available from the community so it feels finished sooner rather than later.

Not Eurorack, I've flown that nest, but musical. A synth, a drum machine, a guitar pedal, a studio effect. Surprise me!

Thanks
Jim
tioJim
Or ... a nixie tube project that isn't yet another nixie tube alarm clock!
nurbivore
When you say "kit", do you mean just things that are available with all the parts, everything included?
tioJim
nurbivore wrote:
When you say "kit", do you mean just things that are available with all the parts, everything included?

Yup, good question!

No doesn't have to have ALL parts. I've got plenty of basics in my workshop and can order Farnell/Rapid/RS etc for next day delivery.

But should have an unambiguous/debugged/proven BOM and include anything difficult to source and anything that needs a flashed firmware

Basically I want to hit the bench and be ready to go within a maximum of two orders. The "kit" itself and any easily ordered parts.

But also I don't want it to linger. I don't want it to be sitting there half finished a month later because I'm waiting on some weird ICs or because the BOM's out of date and I didn't get as far as page 9934 of the build thread to find out!
revtor
Sonic potions LXR... not too massive a project, and you get everything in the kit. End up with a great flexible drum machine .
thetwlo
revtor wrote:
Sonic potions LXR... not too massive a project, and you get everything in the kit. End up with a great flexible drum machine .

damn! missed that, it sound great!!

EDIT: shit, no CV/Gate. never mind. Still looks great.
Virusinstaller
I would say any of the Beast-Tek Modules.
Super interesting. A little left-field. Sound great.
tioJim
Virusinstaller wrote:
I would say any of the Beast-Tek Modules.
Super interesting. A little left-field. Sound great.

Not Euro, I bailed! Too spendy for me smile

They look like great modules though
tioJim
revtor wrote:

Ooh nice. Good call.

I've heard of the LXR but had no idea it's a kit!
bimbom
Dreadbox Erebus diy might be suitable ?
khakifridge
How about one of the MFOS Sound Labs at Soundtronics?
tioJim
bimbom wrote:
Dreadbox Erebus diy might be suitable ?

No kits left :(
tioJim
khakifridge wrote:
How about one of the MFOS Sound Labs at Soundtronics?

Good shout. Definitely some possibilities there
tioJim
Actually ... what's the current state of play for 303 clones? Are projects like RE303 and x0xb0x still live/supported?
Troubleshooter
x0xb0x is great fun if you are into Acid Music. It is also a fun suquencer to use with any CV gate synth. Kits are still available all over the globe. The RE-303 is a little harder if you want to avoid sourcing rare parts. Also the kits, CPU etc. arent always in stock.

Elicktronic Yocto and Nava are great too in that ballpark. So is the TR-9090.

I really like the sound of my "DinSync Gilbert" Roland SH cross breed synt.h

Also my Crowminius (minimoog) clone sounds fantactic. The Old crow has other kits too.

Right now I am working on the Gyraff Audio GSSL (SSL 4000 bus compressor). My drums need something better that the old FMR RNC.

I have built many many other stuff. Just ask if you are looking for something specific.
FetidEye
there is a chaos clock divider wiyh a nixie tube in it by Tsyklon.
i found this to be a cool kit. very well documented and rewarding build
bigsecret
The PreenFM2 is available from Van Daal Electronics as a full kit and has a metal case available for a proper finished look.

PreenFM2

Not euro
No complex calibration
Musical.
jersupereq
The Jasper synth, the wasp clone, was a super nice build and supposedly cases are coming back. The layout and documentation make debugging quite simple, also rare parts come with the pcb. Also it sounds amazing!!
https://www.jaspersynth.co.uk/buying-jasper/
Jaytee
I’ll second the DinSync GILBERT. Seems to fit your desires pretty well.

-Sold as a partial kit with all obscure parts included (though you need to add BA662 clones to your cart as well).
-the rest of the BOM can be sourced as two orders from Tayda and Arrow (cheapest) or one order from Mouser.
-Not eurorack but plays nicely with it and other modular formats if you like.
-includes front panel and standoffs for a quick and dirty “sandwich” enclosure, plus there is a planned full enclosure if that’s more your bag.

There are a couple of changes I would make to the BOM that aren’t represented in the official build docs, but all-in-all it’s pretty straightforward. If you end up choosing this, post in the build thread here on Muffs and I’ll be sure to give you a few quick tips.
sizone
preen fm 2

minimum fuss. full featured, microtonally capable grungy fm synth with a decent mod matrix and a really nice software editor. solid little metal enclosure.
electricanada
Lyra 8. It's f#ckin amazing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1