MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Control (Brooklyn, NYC)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Control (Brooklyn, NYC)
zengomi
I'm compelled to broadcast some praise for the Control fellow who patiently explained over the phone how MN Brains and Pressure Points interact. He started off by saying it's quite simple.

And that was after I quizzed him on the merits of connecting the two ALM Pamela's New Workout expanders to two PNW.

So knowledgeable, so kind.
Mikeyg3k
Best in the business

They are all super cool down to earth and fun peeps
Astrolabe23
I dig their stickers!
Juluna
i freakin love those guys.

a few years ago i learned a very valuable lesson after frying my very first module (Tiptop Z3000 VCO)(r.i.p.)
hung my head in shame and brought it over to them for further examination and sadly, nothing could be done. Rob Lowe was the amazing soul who helped me through it and explained what exactly was the cause and everything i needed to know to avoid making the same mistakes. he then let me BORROW AN STO IN THE MEANTIME!!! flash forward 2 years with an sto in my case and a healthy obsession of triple checking every connection. thumbs up
artieTwelve
The store is awesome. Several rack setups where you can try out modules. No hassle, no pressure. Definitely worth a side trip to Brooklyn if you are going to NYC.
electricanada
Juluna wrote:
i freakin love those guys.

a few years ago i learned a very valuable lesson after frying my very first module (Tiptop Z3000 VCO)(r.i.p.)
hung my head in shame and brought it over to them for further examination and sadly, nothing could be done.

Is it really unrepairable? Anything can be fixed (for enough money).
Stides
Cudos for sure. Sometimes can find better prices elsewhere, but never find better folks. Every time I’m in NYC I want to get over there, but never have gone.

I must have called about my vidiot preorder like 10 times with payment changes and address, and expectations of delivery, and never got told off!
ayruos
Went there last year. It was the first physical Eurorack store I visited, being in Finland, my entire rack was DIY or second hand modules at that point. I was running an uZeus and wanted the beefier power brick which seemed to be out of stock everywhere in EU.

I was travelling to NYC for some other reason and googled 'Eurorack shops in NYC', found their website, saw they had the uZeus power brick in stock, decided to go there.

They asked me if I wanted the PSU cable which I declined because I needed the EU plugs. Upon hearing I'm from EU they asked me where I buy modules from in general. When I told them they were the first actual shop I visited, they invited me to stay for as long as I wanted to and play with any of the setups that they had in the store. Used a bunch of modules I was curious about but never had the opportunity to use. Very nice, helpful and hospitable guys smile

I ended up buying some cables from them too and I liked them so much I got a friend of mine who lives in NYC to visit the shop and buy a bunch more and then mail them to me! If I'm ever going to NYC again, I'd be sure to visit them again!
Claude
Went to Control during a rare trip to the city years ago, got a very patient and generous demo of a few modules, ordered my power supply, rail, and first modules from them soon thereafter. A great resource well worthy of supporting!
terrymccann
Haven't had the pleasure of visiting the store but love their online shop.

Will definitely pop in when I make it to Brooklyn someday.
lud
They seem to stock interesting and unusual makers like Ciat Lonbarde and Lorre Mill too
BenA718
I love stopping by their shop! They are very chill and super knowledgeable!
electricanada
Probably a dumb question, but: Is there anywhere to park nearby?
sduck
electricanada wrote:

I've always been able to find street parking within a block or two. Sometimes i've had to loop around a few times.

Love the place - do tons of online business, and used to do quite a bit of in person business, but my main reason to visit NYC passed away. I remember buying one of the first synthtech e950's they sold - Robert Aubrey Lowe got really involved in demoing it for me, it was fascinating!
BenA718
electricanada wrote:

Yup, but I always take the L and walk. Not sure what I will do when they start tearing the L apart... :(
JES
I’ve only done phone and mail order with hem but they have always been fantastic.
pines
I go there frequently, it's a great shop with a very welcoming staff. It's a great hang, and I always get involved in an engaging conversation. I've always been able to park, if I happened to drive.
mhtones
I live on the opposite coast, but almost always buy my modules from Control. They are always generous with their time answering any questions over the phone and are true gentlemen. I hope to one day make it to their store in person to thank them face to face.
tau_seti
Great people and I’ve found it to be the one place in the city where there is always parking. I’ve been maybe 20 times and have found it each time. Either on Lorimer right by Control or just go around the corner by some school. There’s also a super cool futuristic 1970s telephone facility nearby if you dig telecommunications architecture, which I do.
drbrain
Just spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Control and learned more in that 30 minutes then days of searching the web

Great guys!
Stuart1201
I went last September, as a visitor form the UK and they were so cool and relaxed. Totally into modular, several large rigs set up and I was encouraged to have a play in a super friendly and no pressure to buy atmosphere. Highly reccomended.
ckwjr
Was in town from Chicago and visited the store for the first time on Friday - great shop, easy to get to from Manhattan. I'm looking forward to doing some online business with them. Thanks for your help and advice!
ba1
BenA718 wrote:
electricanada wrote:

Yup, but I always take the L and walk. Not sure what I will do when they start tearing the L apart... :(

Take the M. It's about the same distance.
hewed
I walked in there as a guy in his 40s who wears a suit and tie to work, who had distant memories of playing with synths and midi in his younger days, who'd recently watched too many youtube videos down the modular rabbit hole, was cashed up and decided he wanted to get into modular.

They were incredibly kind and patient, spent around 2 - 3 hours with me walking me through what were wise purchases. Zero condescension, zero scorn, absolutely lovely people. Zero exploitation, even though I'd clearly indicated I had more money than sense or talent.

I turned up a few days later to buy more units (as I was leaving the US for good). Different people on staff that day. Equally just as lovely, polite, welcoming and helpful.

If I had three thumbs up to give these guys, I'd give them all.
deftinwulf
Never been lucky enough to visit in person, but the orders I've made from them online have always processed and shipped remarkably fast.

My only "complaint" is that every time I go to their web store, everything I'm looking for is sold out. cry After reading this thread, I assume it's because they're so well-liked that everyone is shopping there. applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2